Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You are not a f*cking DJ. You’re an overpaid, untalented, cake-throwing c*nt.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Katherine Lynch…

Christ, my anger levels had just dropped down to manageable levels after not seeing her for six months. The red mist descends again…
    I just hate that real bog stuff.

I don't like it either but then I've got multiple personality disorder so I don't like a lot of things.

But I do!

Shhh

I want to play. Let me out.

Not yet

When

Soon…

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Interesting article in the Irish Times on Coffee Shops in Amsterdam

link

Also, it would seem that Alan Partridge is to make a return. :)

Dan, Dan, Dan, Dan.......................Dan......................................Dan...................Dan.............................................................................Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

I dunno lads, I find Hardy Bucks deeply satirical and acutely observant. I'm no culchie (or no jackeen for that matter) but have had plenty of experience quite close to where Hardy Bucks is set in Mayo, and it's a scarily accurate depiction.

I thought last night's episode was brilliant. It went for the more subtle side of things compared to the web episodes (which were good but were ropey as fcuk). They're clearly just trying to make a cross between the Office and Trailer Park Boys set in Swinford, Co. Mayo.
    Far more thought seems to have gone into this than any other irish comedy I've seen. Unfortunately that subtlety and understatement is gonna be completely lost on most of the RTE audience, and so I think the series is doomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

link

Also, it would seem that Alan Partridge is to make a return. :)

Dan, Dan, Dan, Dan.......................Dan......................................Dan...................Dan.............................................................................Dan.

I reckon I've watched every episode of Alan Partridge about 20-30 times. Never stops being funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Yeah Bog Comedy. Comedy that is so Country-centric that it’s only funny if you’re from the country. Killinaskully, Katherine Lynch, Hardy Bucks, etc.

Do you feel that in order to appreciate comedy, one needs to share a common social grounding?

link

I remember recently reading somewhere that the main issue that the government had with coffeeshops was the cleaning up of the 'back door'. However, that was with the previous government. But now we're looking at a situation where through decades of regulation, the Dutch may have tackled the drugs problem as best it could, so now it wouldnt seem ludicrous to suggest that coffeeshops no longer serve a purpose - except for the vices of tourists. I honestly fear this development as it could very well happen that rules become more stringent. Perhaps the Dutch government could get away with banning non-nationals from these outlets because I doubt any court in Europe would entertain the case of those wishing to access drugs.

• Advertisement

Do you feel that in order to appreciate comedy, one needs to share a common social grounding?
    It helps. It is after all the basis of most humour, a shared sense on being "in" on the joke.

However, truly great comedy is universal and transcends the need to be aware of social commonalities (is that a word?)

Perhaps the Dutch government could get away with banning non-nationals from these outlets because I doubt any court in Europe would entertain the case of those wishing to access drugs.
    I think that's one of the proposals. They're trying to make the CF's into membership only clubs.

I think that's one of the proposals. They're trying to make the CF's into membership only clubs.

I await the proposed conditionalities for membership with great interest.

I do feel though, if prop 19 goes through in California, the Dutch will scrap these plans. Plus there'll be less North Americans visiting the CFs in Amsterdam loudly boasting how ****ed-up they are, despite smoking what they feel is inferior to what's back home.

Interesting video about proposition 19 in California for anyone who is vaguely interested in cannabis activism / legalisation.

http://english.aljazeera.net/programmes/faultlines/2010/09/2010930122157461130.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I'm very interested to see how this pans out. The poll results are very close so I'd expect it to be a close-run thing. If successful, I wonder how long, if ever, it will take before other states/countries adopt a similar attitude?

Friend posted this on facebook:

borrowed from twitter... "just saw a bunch of miners and scousers celebrating on the news... is Maggie Thatcher dead?"

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

jtsuited wrote: »
    I reckon I've watched every episode of Alan Partridge about 20-30 times. Never stops being funny.
    Do you like all of Steve Coogan's Stuff, have you seen "Dearth of a Salesman"?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sujGNtcCSbs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlrmhEXdBHg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYSsuCk1ptI

Reminds me of some people I have worked with over the years! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Is there any decent dj software for linux??

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

cian1500ww wrote: »
    Is there any decent dj software for linux??

Mixxx is supposedly worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

Radio Nova aint half bad of a night time, lashed on the radio to give my co worker a break from some hard hitting ASYLUM classics & was pleasantly surprised with the likes of,

Joe Cocker,
    spencer davis group,
    Paul weller,
    lenny kravitz,
    Rolling stones,
    REM,
    Talking heads,
    The who,
    Led zepplin,
    Crosby Stills nash & Young,
    Black Sabbath,
    Thin lizzy,
    Jimmy Hendrix.

All in one after another with feck all ads, waffle from DJ's & not a Ra Ra Ga Ga in sight:D

Plus there'll be less North Americans visiting the CFs in Amsterdam loudly boasting how ****ed-up they are, despite smoking what they feel is inferior to what's back home.

Which means there'll be more room for the pissed up stag parties from Ireland and England. Thank God! Those Americans can be so annoying…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jimi_t2

I did watch it last night but didn’t think it was great.

Indie? Was it not made by RTE?

Yeah I thought it was absolute ****e as well - can almost guarantee it was because of script monitoring/nannyism by RTE. The beauty of the show was in the partridge-esque moments where they're sitting in the car talking complete ****e or the little asides with buzz. I think it peaked with this little section

The show has lost all subtlety and has become a complete parody of itself; what you had was a little portrait of small town Ireland and the **** they have to do to stave off boredom, what we're left with is a half-assed adventure show that tries too hard to be funny. A meandering pile of half-formed ideas thats trying to move along with a sense of ''purpose'' as they've only 3/4 episodes in a season; but ends up not satisfying either side of the equation.

Which means there'll be more room for the pissed up stag parties from Ireland and England. Thank God! Those Americans can be so annoying…

Is Amsterdam still a popular stag destination? I thought Eastern Europe had taken up the mantle. Plus - with Prague's newly sprouting coffeeshops, and cheaper booze, surely thats more of a 'spot'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Lads does anyone know what the story is with the clear chat history option on facebook.

theyve removed it as far as i can see,anyone know how to get it back?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭ianuss

Looks like the '3 strikes and you're out' policy re illegal file sharing is history. It doesn't mean it's legal to download files though.....

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1012/upc-technology.html

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Saw that. I'm glad, I don't think its fair to bully the ISP's. The record industry needs to think out of the box and not go around lighting fires because they were too slow to respond in the first place

• Advertisement

Aye, totally agree. UPC would have been decimated.

I don't know the story behind The Red Cross case mentioned in the article. It seems you'd want to very careful about what you use your internet for - big brother is definitely watching!

OMG! I like never knew that the worst part of living on like the dole would be like not being able to afford my cosmopolitans!

Read this bints views on 'living on the dole':

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/on-just-euro196-a-week-it-hurts-to-part-with-the-pennies-2271802.html

But there is a silver lining to the cloud. Tee hee hee!:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/property/2010/1014/1224281058402.html

I've seen the many articles she's written about her "predicament" and she just comes across as a bleedin gobsh1te. Does she not realise that A) She chose to buy the place despite numerous warnings, B) People will read what she's written so she's not doing herself any favours with the constant whinging, and C) No one gives a sh1t about her situation as there are many many more people in a worse situation than her.

I'm one of those people that bought at the top of the market and as a result I'm in serious negative equity but I don't keep moaning about it in the national papers.
    And although I bought at the top I wasn't stupid enough to buy at the prices she bought at. Half a million for an apartment in town is nuts, even in the height of the boom, and as such she was warned many many times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

OMG! I like never knew that the worst part of living on like the dole would be like not being able to afford my cosmopolitans!

Read this bints views on 'living on the dole':

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/on-just-euro196-a-week-it-hurts-to-part-with-the-pennies-2271802.html

There was a long-running thread about her over on AH, it was pretty funny for a while, though it went to **** towards the end.

I've pretty much decided that she's a ROCK-style parody of a Celtic Tiger cub; a manifestation of everything that was wrong with Ireland in the boom years. I cannot bring myself to believe that there are people out there so oblivious to the real world whilst harbouring such a massive sense of entitlement.

Pace2008 wrote: »
    I cannot bring myself to believe that there are people out there so oblivious to the real world whilst harbouring such a massive sense of entitlement.
    Yeah same here. At first I didn't realise that the first article was by her. But I could only read half of it before having to stop....and then got thinking to myself that all her articles are p1sstakes. They have to be, there's no way anybody is that stupid.

santiago wrote: »

Hey buddy - you should take that gem over to the 'track of the day' thread

I've seen the many articles she's written about her "predicament" and she just comes across as a bleedin gobsh1te. Does she not realise that A) She chose to buy the place despite numerous warnings, B) People will read what she's written so she's not doing herself any favours with the constant whinging, and C) No one gives a sh1t about her situation as there are many many more people in a worse situation than her.

I'm one of those people that bought at the top of the market and as a result I'm in serious negative equity but I don't keep moaning about it in the national papers.
    And although I bought at the top I wasn't stupid enough to buy at the prices she bought at. Half a million for an apartment in town is nuts, even in the height of the boom, and as such she was warned many many times.

Bazmo, if you bought at the top of the market, you have my sympathies and I've stated on here already that I couldn't blame people stuck in negative equity for the predicament they find themselves in…

She is my exception. How completely and utterly disconnected from the real world can you be? Is it a prerequisite of the Indo that you have to be a complete tool to write for that paper?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Is it a prerequisite of the Indo that you have to be a complete tool to write for that paper?
    In short, yes.

• Advertisement

The best of Arnie. It's actually really strange the way he gets so many of the same lines.

Advertisement