Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You are not a f*cking DJ. You’re an overpaid, untalented, cake-throwing c*nt.

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

joker77 wrote: »
    I'll have to give that stuff a blast, where did you say the shop was again?

A personal rave eh? ha ha - sounds good. How do you keep the kids asleep though?

I bought mine in the tea shop on Wicklow St but you can get it in most of the health stores too.

I've an attic conversion which is somewhat sound proof - enough anyway that they don't wake when I'm bangin out the tunes to myself at 2 in the morning! Looking at the decks now I seem to have closed with this last night :pac:

Shed - Well Done My Son (033427 edit)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jimi_t2

Yeah, the MS2000 is also on the list, but I think it's not really right for what I need, and if I was going that route I'd probably get an MS-20.

:confused:

The Microkorg is basically a very stripped down version of the MS2000. They've the same synth engine, but the MS2000 has the DWGS waveforms, the step sequencer and much more functionality over all if you've ANY intention of making your own patches.

The MS20 on the other hand, is a semi-modular analog monophonic which will set you back well over a grand.
    The Micron is, from what I've heard, more or less the same as the Microkorg, but the Korg has more knobs etc, and is used by loads of big producers, which is a plus.

Really? I've seen plenty of MS2000 racks, but very few MicroKorgs in any studio. The Micron is a far far FAR superior beast btw - twice the polyphony, MUCH better synth engine, incredible arpeggiator w/sequencer, warmer filters and sound quality.

http://www.vintagesynth.com/misc/micron.php
    The Korg R3 also looks great, basically the Microkorg's bigger brother.

Completely different synth engine and sound - uses the same VA engine as the Korg RADIAS. It's got the same form factor and thats really about it. The Microkorg's actual bigger brother being the MicroKorg XL

http://www.korg.co.uk/products/pro_keyboard/microkorgxl/pk_microkorgxl.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

XL has the same synth engine as the R3, based on the Radius by the way.

The XL and R3 both have the same polyphony as the Micron, 8 voices.

I meant if I was going for the MS2000, if I was to get a proper vintage synth it'd probably be the MS-20.

Also the Micron isn't USB, which is a bit annoying, and would definitely need to be set-up with a controller, because it looks like it doesn't give you much control. Although, if the sound is better it might be an option...

XL has the same synth engine as the R3, based on the Radius by the way.

XL has a specific version of the MMT architecture designed to sound like an MS2000/MicroKorg. The R3 sounds like a Radias as they have the same architecture and engine.

R3 = Mini RADIUS
    Microkorg = Mini MS2000
    Microkorg XL = Hybrid beast that sounds like a more sanitised MS2000

I meant if I was going for the MS2000, if I was to get a proper vintage synth it'd probably be the MS-20.

MS2000 would be as much of a ''vintage'' synth as the MicroKorg to be fair. You're comparing Apples and Oranges.

Also the Micron isn't USB, which is a bit annoying, and would definitely need to be set-up with a controller, because it looks like it doesn't give you much control. Although, if the sound is better it might be an option...

Neither is the MicroKorg, which you asked about originally. It's got a proper display on it which is worth the additional knobs IMO - I've owned the MS2000, the MicroKorg and the Micron and the Micron is definitely the best sounding and easier to program than the MicroKorg.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

I bought mine in the tea shop on Wicklow St but you can get it in most of the health stores too.

I've an attic conversion which is somewhat sound proof - enough anyway that they don't wake when I'm bangin out the tunes to myself at 2 in the morning! Looking at the decks now I seem to have closed with this last night :pac:

Shed - Well Done My Son (033427 edit)

Ah yes - Wicklow street - you said that before, my memory has gone to sh*t.

Attic conversion you say? Sounds perfect for what I'd say is a little man cave up there? Would love something like that or ideally a separate garage outside with decks, pool table, beer fridge etc... ah to dream....
    Still renting here though, will be a while before we have our own place - if ever. Herself is out of work a year and a half now, was cut off the dole completely last April so it's only one salary coming in. Can't complain too much though, there's a lot more people worse off these days.

• Advertisement

jimi_t2 wrote: »
    I've owned the MS2000, the MicroKorg and the Micron and the Micron is definitely the best sounding and easier to program than the MicroKorg.

Out of the three which would you go for?

I wonder does the XL or R3 rival the Micron, are they enough of a step up from the original...

As you cans see I'm only a newbie in the hardware synth world, but I've heard good things about both micro and micron.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

eh lads, why would you buy a hardware digital synth??

Btw, I used the MS2000 regularly and it's fcuking rubbish sounding.

jtsuited wrote: »
    eh lads, why would you buy a hardware digital synth??

Btw, I used the MS2000 regularly and it's fcuking rubbish sounding.

Synths are my weakest part of production IMO, and I think it's because I don't feel comfortable using a mouse to turn pots etc.

My other option is to get a Novation Remote keyboard (they have that automap to VST thing right?) and maybe buy some VSTs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

Synths are my weakest part of production IMO, and I think it's because I don't feel comfortable using a mouse to turn pots etc.

My other option is to get a Novation Remote keyboard (they have that automap to VST thing right?) and maybe buy some VSTs.

If you can't program a vst synth, you're not going to be able to magically program a hardware synth just because each parameter has a physical knob.

Most digital hardware synths seriously don't compete with softsynths at this stage (5 years ago maybe but not now).

Use a decent Analogue emulation type softsynth and learn to use it properly before you even begin considering buying cheap hardware synths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Ah f*ck

Just logged onto the PC to see it's 8am rather than 9am. Forgot about the clocks going back. I've joined a cycling club so am up early on Sundays and out on the bike by half 9. Missed my chance for a well needed extra hour in bed.

Poxbottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Ah f*ck

Just logged onto the PC to see it's 8am rather than 9am. Forgot about the clocks going back. I've joined a cycling club so am up early on Sundays and out on the bike by half 9. Missed my chance for a well needed extra hour in bed.

Poxbottle.

Yeah same here.......kinda. Couldn't work out what time it was when I woke up. Didn't know whether the phone adjusts itself or not so only knew the right time when I turned on Sky News.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Ah yes - Wicklow street - you said that before, my memory has gone to sh*t.

Attic conversion you say? Sounds perfect for what I'd say is a little man cave up there? Would love something like that or ideally a separate garage outside with decks, pool table, beer fridge etc... ah to dream....
    Still renting here though, will be a while before we have our own place - if ever. Herself is out of work a year and a half now, was cut off the dole completely last April so it's only one salary coming in. Can't complain too much though, there's a lot more people worse off these days.

Yeah its what started out in life as my dream come true - a room specifically for music with a permanent fixture for decks etc - having had all sorts of solutions over the years to include a wardrobe on its side & an old wide coffee table to name two less practical solutions! I got an area made in the attic to store records, CDs, decks and related equipment.

More recently its become a part time home office and kids playroom so kinda lost some of its original charm! Still love it though and glad I got it done while I could a few years back as I wouldn't have a hope now in the terms of the cost. Poxy alright the economy and job situation, quite a different country compared to a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

Somebody mentioned they were studying for Computer Science on here a while back i think, if so i stuck my name on this ad,

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=320760

If anyone is interested in these you can have them if the first guy passess them up.

Taken from here
    The scientists found alcohol was most harmful, with a score of 72, followed by heroin with 55 and crack with 54.

Among some of the other drugs assessed were crystal meth (33), cocaine (27), tobacco (26), amphetamine or speed (23), cannabis (20), benzodiazepines, such as Valium (15), ketamine (15), methadone (14), mephedrone (13), ecstasy (9), anabolic steroids (9), LSD (7) and magic mushrooms (5).

Not a huge surprise really. Although, I wonder if the results are weighted against overall usage which would obviously make Alcohol and Tobacco the worst offenders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Although, I wonder if the results are weighted against overall usage which would obviously make Alcohol and Tobacco the worst offenders.
    Not a chance. Benzos and methadone safer than cannabis? It's obviously just demonstrating the overall harm the drugs cause to society, without taking into account availability or prevalence of use.

More horsesh1t misinformation on drugs then.

Speaking of horsesh1t, wee Alison is at it again. Apparently, " Free samples of a dangerous ecstasy-like drug known as "snow blow" are being left at people's front doors as banned head shops go underground due to a crackdown on their business" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭ianuss

Speaking of horsesh1t, wee Alison is at it again. Apparently, " Free samples of a dangerous ecstasy-like drug known as "snow blow" are being left at people's front doors as banned head shops go underground due to a crackdown on their business" :rolleyes:

How the hell does that sort of rubbish journalism end up in a national newspaper? It's a ludicrous story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

God, I am so sick of unknown drug dealers leaving free samples of drugs on my doorstep. It happens to me all the time. Just the other day I got home and there was a quarter of cannabis, some crack, skag, three different types of pills and some snow waiting on my door step. Enough already. Free samples doesn't work on me for shampoo or aftershave and it's not going to work for drugs either…

Proven to cause acute health problems and lead to dependency, "snow blow" now has the same illegal status as cocaine, hash and heroine.

Reminds of the Commitments first gig

commitments1.jpg

(The ''e'' at the end of the banner has been half-removed)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

Ah here how can we expected to take a journalist seriously if they dont even know the difference between 'Heroin' & 'Heroine'
    Proven to cause acute health problems and lead to dependency, "snow blow" now has the same illegal status as cocaine, hash and heroine.

God, I am so sick of unknown drug dealers leaving free samples of drugs on my doorstep. It happens to me all the time. Just the other day I got home and there was a quarter of cannabis, some crack, skag, three different types of pills and some snow waiting on my door step. Enough already. Free samples doesn't work on me for shampoo or aftershave and it's not going to work for drugs either…
    Is that happening to you too??!?!? I'm sick of it at this stage. I'll have to get a "NO FREE DRUGS" sticker for my front door to go along with my "NO JUNK MAIL" sticker.

I'm also sick of going to parties and been given free drugs to get me hooked. And if I don't get take them off the drug dealers I just get spiked!

Is that happening to you too??!?!? I'm sick of it at this stage. I'll have to get a "NO FREE DRUGS" sticker for my front door to go along with my "NO JUNK MAIL" sticker.

I'm also sick of going to parties and been given free drugs to get me hooked. And if I don't get take them off the drug dealers I just get spiked!

I thought the no junk mail sticker would have worked for heroin. It's just so tiresome trying to avoid all those 'free' samples that's why I don't go to parties anymore. If I accidently take one of these 'free' samples I know I'll soon be giving toothless blow jobs in the jacks of busaras to pay for my chronic snow addiction. God damn you evil dealers!

This guy just found out the bill's been cancelled:

2ljp5ok.gif

Nah, I think he's just read another one of Alison's articles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stomprockin

Anybody else listening to these guys ?

Super stuff indeed:D

Nice Track.

Always loved their A Minha Menina song.

And Chicken Payback is a great party tune.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Eddie Ere

This gave me a laugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stomprockin

Nice Track.

Always loved their A Minha Menina song.

And Chicken Payback is a great party tune.

There Supporting Paul Weller in the Olympia from the 16th to the 20-Nov!
    Should be a good gig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭ianuss

Lads, I'm thinking of switching to vinyl. It just seems that some tracks I've found recently are vinyl only. And I also kinda like the idea of collecting records too. I think I might be kind of anal like that.

Anyway, I was just wondering what makes I should be looking for/to avoid. Obviously, most people will probably recommend Technics, but should I be worried about them ceasing operations - in terms of spare parts etc.? I'll be buying second hand also, so what sort of prices should I be expecting to pay realistically?

Once I've got the decks I'll be looking for a vintage camera, fixed gear bike and tips on how to write a blog.

Cheers in advance gents.......

Advertisement