Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You are not a f*cking DJ. You’re an overpaid, untalented, cake-throwing c*nt.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jimi_t2

ianuss wrote: »
    Once I've got the decks I'll be looking for a vintage camera, fixed gear bike and tips on how to write a blog.

Cheers in advance gents.......

Looking forward to seeing this new magazine all about your balls that you're setting up .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

jimi_t2 wrote: »
    Looking forward to seeing this new magazine all about your balls that you're setting up .

Hipsters don't have balls. We only have warehouse parties and flashmobs. Ballrooms just aren't ironic enough anymore.

Hipsters don't have balls. We only have warehouse parties and flashmobs. Ballrooms just aren't ironic enough anymore.

Getting to the point where its annoying to post it, but since you seem to have missed the reference

(last 20 seconds or so)

Getting to the point where its annoying to post it, but since you seem to have missed the reference

I was being ironic. I answered your post ironically because you weren't being ironic and I wanted to make it ironic in a typically ironic way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

, fixed gear bike and tips on how to write a blog.

Cheers in advance gents.......

Think i have an old fixed gear, back pedal brake, fold in the middle eska in the shed:D

3394394530_b25b608681.jpg

• Advertisement

I was being ironic. I answered your post ironically because you weren't being ironic and I wanted to make it ironic in a typically ironic way.

How....ironic

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/irony

Brilliant. I do believe this is my favourite new site!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

Obviously, most people will probably recommend Technics, but should I be worried about them ceasing operations - in terms of spare parts etc.?
    IF Technics are discontinued (which I will wager my full head of hair on not happening), you can be guaranteed that spare parts will actually become cheaper as 3rd party manufacturers will get involved (panasonic won't bother enforcing patent laws if they've stopped making said product).

If you can get your hands on a set of 1210/1200's for less than 500 you're doing well. There's a good few up on adverts every couple of days so I'd say between 400 and 500 is a good deal.

Take the jump. If only for the pleasure of record buying....

My Friday evening consisted of record shopping, a good 2 hours of banter with Sunil and Olan, and a quest to find out if Rachel English (the bird off the radio) was as good looking as she is good sounding (she's not btw).

A couple of the local heads were in (producers, promoters, dj's, etc.) and it felt like some type of chamber of commerce meeting taking place , except the content of the discussions makes this thread look like a well organised thesis.

Of considerable note were the dnb heads that were in there when I went in. They were playing some epic amen-centric stuff with the volume knob at 11, clapping loudly and I actually witnessed a rewind...Funny fcukers, I'd say Executive Steve knows them. They left in a chorus of 'you kids with your portable music players'. Who they were saying that to is beyond me as there were about 4 people in the shop all buying records.

Good times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Technics are iconic, have my 1210 Mk2s over 10 year (bought new), and still love them. I bought my first set of belt drives (JB Systems) when I was about 16, and trading up to the Technics was a dream come true. Love them and always will.

However, they ain't perfect. I'd like to get Executive Steve's opinions on how they compare to his Stanton STR8-150s

The bug bear for me about Technics is the 'dead zone'. If you're mixing, and the pitch control is around the 0 mark - it can be a nightmare. The quartz lock kicks in at 0, but the real 0 isn't there - so if you're just above 0 and need to pitch down a bit, you may bring it down below 0 but the record will speed up a bit. I know I'm not explaining this very well, but if you've mixed on them for any length of time you'll know what I'm talking about. It's a very small issue really, just thought I'd share and see what people think

jtsuited wrote: »
    Good times.

It kind of sounds like a day release trip for mentallers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

joker77 wrote: »

The bug bear for me about Technics is the 'dead zone'. If you're mixing, and the pitch control is around the 0 mark - it can be a nightmare. The quartz lock kicks in at 0, but the real 0 isn't there - so if you're just above 0 and need to pitch down a bit, you may bring it down below 0 but the record will speed up a bit. I know I'm not explaining this very well, but if you've mixed on them for any length of time you'll know what I'm talking about. It's a very small issue really, just thought I'd share and see what people think

drives me mental, but i thought it was only because of my noobishness. it's got to a stage where i'll just pitch the record playing up or down so I can avoid the dreaded click zone on the record I'm cueing.

It kind of sounds like a day release trip for mentallers.

cuckoo.jpg

cuckoo.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭ianuss

Take the jump. If only for the pleasure of record buying....

I think that'll probably be the biggest kick I get out of the switch.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Yeah that zero lock is a pain in the ass... I typically nudge the playing track by about +1 if the track that I'm cueing is hanging around zero, need to increase the tempo sufficiently instead of minor increments and I hate decreasing tempo... generally I'll take a track back off the deck if I have to bring it below 0.

zero lock is a pain in the ass...

I think you should rename the thread to this:D

I think you should rename the thread to this:D

Dunno, was kinda thinking...

day release trip for mentallers

Ahh sh.ite, thats 100 times better:mad:

• Advertisement

Bo! Selecta!

drives me mental, but i thought it was only because of my noobishness. it's got to a stage where i'll just pitch the record playing up or down so I can avoid the dreaded click zone on the record I'm cueing.
    Nah it's not noobish, although there's tricks around it. I know my decks have a natural 0 around -0.3, so I can work with that. You just have to avoid the quartz lock
    Yeah that zero lock is a pain in the ass... I typically nudge the playing track by about +1 if the track that I'm cueing is hanging around zero, need to increase the tempo sufficiently instead of minor increments and I hate decreasing tempo... generally I'll take a track back off the deck if I have to bring it below 0.
    huh? You mean you always play things pitched up?

I think that'll probably be the biggest kick I get out of the switch.

Ah you can't beat it. Especially when you end up on some European city break - be it a stag party, romantic weekend, whatever... the first bit of research before you get to the city is what records stores do they have - nothing like finding the stores you have scrawled on some bit of paper and then spending a couple of hours browsing. The best for me was at a stag a few years back in Berlin and on the 2nd day with a splitting headache wandering around Berlin trying to find Hardwax, fckin heaven when I did... I'm planning a trip over actually soon, in and out in one day on a seat sale of some description.

Nah it's not noobish, although there's tricks around it. I know my decks have a natural 0 around -0.3, so I can work with that. You just have to avoid the quartz lock

huh? You mean you always play things pitched up?

Absolutely, ideally not much more than +3 or so. But thats when I'm coherent etc, could be anywhere from -8 to +8 at a session! I probably would go to -1 or so but hate any much more than that - don't know why really, just a thing I've had right from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Apparently you can fix that dead zone by replacing the existing pitch control slider with the annoying "0" blip with one that doesn't have the blip. Always said that I'd get around to doing it some time. It took me about 10 years to replace the tracking lights so maybe it might get done in the next few years.

I've got my decks for almost 20 years now. (God I feel old!!) Bought them second hand too. Suppose it shows the durability of them.

JT, the replacement parts availability will never be an issue whether Panasonic stop producing them or not. AFAIK patents only last for a few years so buying spurious parts wouldn't be a problem either.

Absolutely, ideally not much more than +3 or so. But thats when I'm coherent etc, could be anywhere from -8 to +8 at a session! I probably would go to -1 or so but hate any much more than that - don't know why really, just a thing I've had right from the start.
    You need to get onto the pitched down buzz! ha

No I know you mean - parties/sessions are a different matter, but usually I try to play the records at roughly the correct pitch. This works best for 80-90% of the stuff. There's the odd one that needs a good bit of pitching up, the very very odd one that needs a good pitch down (Castle Trancelot - The Gloom).

Yeah my starting point with a track is always +2 and then adjust accordingly.

You need to get onto the pitched down buzz! ha

No I know you mean - parties/sessions are a different matter, but usually I try to play the records at roughly the correct pitch. This works best for 80-90% of the stuff. There's the odd one that needs a good bit of pitching up, the very very odd one that needs a good pitch down (Castle Trancelot - The Gloom).

So when you say the correct pitch, you have a set with most tracks either at zero or very near to it?

Most tracks sound sh1t set at zero

• Advertisement

So when you say the correct pitch, you have a set with most tracks either at zero or very near to it?
    I'd try and keep it within +/- 2, 3 at a push. For most stuff
    BaZmO* wrote: »
    Most tracks sound sh1t set at zero
    :D

Advertisement