Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You are not a f*cking DJ. You’re an overpaid, untalented, cake-throwing c*nt.

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Apparently you can fix that dead zone by replacing the existing pitch control slider with the annoying "0" blip with one that doesn't have the blip. Always said that I'd get around to doing it some time. It took me about 10 years to replace the tracking lights so maybe it might get done in the next few years.

I've got my decks for almost 20 years now. (God I feel old!!) Bought them second hand too. Suppose it shows the durability of them.

JT, the replacement parts availability will never be an issue whether Panasonic stop producing them or not. AFAIK patents only last for a few years so buying spurious parts wouldn't be a problem either.

I've mine about 16 years - I actually found the original finance agreement a while ago from RTV on Talbot St where I bought them - my Dad went guarantor at the time and I had to pay by the month for a few years. The only changes I've made over the years would be stylus and slipmats.

joker77 wrote: »
    I'd try and keep it within +/- 2, 3 at a push. For most stuff

Ah ok, I was wondering how the fck you would manage a set with all tracks at zero!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Ah ok, I was wondering how the fck you would manage a set with all tracks at zero!
    Would be a pretty boring set! The tempo would increase as the set went on, usually ending up maybe 5 or 6 BPM faster than it started.

I can't actually remember where I bought mine. I remember it was in a basement. Might have been the basement in Richer Sounds that had DJ stuff for a while?? Was there another shop near Richer sounds on that quay in the basement that had decks and mixers?

Would be a pretty boring set! The tempo would increase as the set went on, usually ending up maybe 5 or 6 BPM faster than it started.

I can't actually remember where I bought mine. I remember it was in a basement. Might have been the basement in Richer Sounds that had DJ stuff for a while?? Was there another shop near Richer sounds on that quay in the basement that had decks and mixers?

Yeah it was X-Music I think, it was next door or a couple of doors down from Richer Sounds (and owned by the same guy)... I bought my last Vestax mixer there a good few years ago. I used to drop in there to drool at the equipment before or after some record buying in Tag - that was a great shop for techno and the Scottish dude knew his stuff, sound bloke too.

Yeah it was X-Music I think, it was next door or a couple of doors down from Richer Sounds (and owned by the same guy)... I bought my last Vestax mixer there a good few years ago. I used to drop in there to drool at the equipment before or after some record buying in Tag - that was a great shop for techno and the Scottish dude knew his stuff, sound bloke too.
    Ah Tag - those were the days. Built up a friendship with a couple of the guys there and they used to give me exactly what I wanted. I remember getting an early copy of Musak - Trisco, think it was about a week after I'd heard Slacker play it in the Mean Fiddler or Mono (before the Village), didn't know the name I just got handed it without asking, was well chuffed as it hadn't really hit yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭ianuss

the Mean Fiddler

Ha ha.......The Mean Fiddler - now you're showing your age.

ianuss wrote: »
    Ha ha.......The Mean Fiddler - now you're showing your age.
    yea I hear ya. I think it may actually have been the one in between the Mean Fiddler and the Village for that gig - am I right in saying it was Mono?

My memory is shot - I would never have remember the name 'Tag' for the record shop... even though I spent many hours in there...

The guy from Music Power in Crown Alley moved down there - stocky kind of guy, red hair, he was sound and always sorted me out

Edit: Was Tag just Music Power relocated and renamed? my timelines are mixed up

yea I hear ya. I think it may actually have been the one in between the Mean Fiddler and the Village for that gig - am I right in saying it was Mono?

My memory is shot - I would never have remember the name 'Tag' for the record shop... even though I spent many hours in there...

The guy from Music Power in Crown Alley moved down there - stocky kind of guy, red hair, he was sound and always sorted me out

Ye, I think you're right, it was Mono after the Mean Fiddler. It went downhill, rapidly, after that too.

Not sure at all about Tag though.

Initially I couldn't remember the name but then I could picture the place and the name came back, must be photographic memory :pac:

The guy I remember there was a big bloke too, kind of desperate dan looking chin - pretty sure he was Scottish and also seem to remember his name was Ulick... roll on the various entertaining surnames. M'Balls, M'Gee etc :D I was in there often enough though and he threw stuff at me the minute I walked in which was always what I wanted.

Initially I couldn't remember the name but then I could picture the place and the name came back, must be photographic memory :pac:

The guy I remember there was a big bloke too, kind of desperate dan looking chin - pretty sure he was Scottish and also seem to remember his name was Ulick... roll on the various entertaining surnames. M'Balls, M'Gee etc :D I was in there often enough though and he threw stuff at me the minute I walked in which was always what I wanted.
    Ulick - that's the guy. Sound. Think he was involved with running a club down in the Tivoli then? (he hung around with my younger brother's friends older brother, confusing I know)

Never actually went to that club in the Tivoli

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

Wouldn't it be great if there was like a DJing version of that Dead Zone TV series. Everytime the protagonist played a record in the dead zone of his Technics he'd have a vision of something bad happening to the producer of the tune and then he'd have to travel to meet the producer and try and stop it from happening. It would be like a cross between Dead Zone, Murder She Wrote and Medium crossed with Techno and Trance and every week it could be a different genre and that way it could be highly informative as well.

'Hey John check out this electro swing tune that's just been released by famous Dutch producer DJ Orangey Orange'

'Hmm, not bad, good use of old jazz samples here, I'm just going to bring the tempo down…

(vision here with Orangey orange being hit on the head with a clog and falling in a field of tulips)

…woah the vibes I'm getting off this record are hotter than a dutch oven. I think it's time we took a trip to Holland…'

I'm telling you it's a brilliant idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Got me thomann pamphlet today. DJX750 Caught my eye, full mixer for 166? Any body got any opinions on them?

Any body got any opinions on them?

Their song 'Gloria' was a cracker and I loved their version of 'Baby, Please Don't Go' but I think ultimately Van was right to leave and go solo although I can't say I rate his recent output at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Their song 'Gloria' was a cracker and I loved their version of 'Baby, Please Don't Go' but I think ultimately Van was right to leave and go solo although I can't say I rate his recent output at all.
    They did a great cover of 'It's All Over Now Baby Blue' too :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Q Bert does a drum solo with one record and a crossfader.

Respect!
    I have to say that the vast majority of this turntablism/DMC stuff does my head in and just sounds like irritating noise, but that is brilliant.
    I think anybody who ever bought a set of decks had a notion of becoming a scratching king. Has anyone here ever got to a reasonable level of skill with the crossfader?

old gregg wrote: »

I do love that version of the song. It was a disconcerting hearing it fully for the first time when I was so used to hearing the intro on 'Jackass' by Beck but Van is in mighty form on that tune.

I do love that version of the song. It was a disconcerting hearing it fully for the first time when I was so used to hearing the intro on 'Jackass' by Beck but Van is in mighty form on that tune.
    couldn't agree more. It's pretty haunting. It used to be one of our 'we're almost down off the speed so lets listen to something normal' tracks when we were teens.

Ulick - that's the guy. Sound. Think he was involved with running a club down in the Tivoli then? (he hung around with my younger brother's friends older brother, confusing I know)

Never actually went to that club in the Tivoli

Yeah I remember he was involved in some club night alright, was never in the Tivoli either.

So what are we to call this thread now? - Its lost its tea charm. Answers on a postcard please.

The Randomers Random Thread of Randomness

• Advertisement

For me this is what I love the most from Van... brings back a lot of stoned memories from over the years, probably a 2am moment in someone's kitchen with not much being said...

So what are we to call this thread now? - Its lost its tea charm. Answers on a postcard please.

That matcha stuff was a great shout I must say. I've been drinking it for a few days now and it's definitely helped my energy levels. I used to always drop off at aound 3 and 6 pm, and lately I haven't needed a power nap at all.

It does smell vile though. Tastes okay. Smells well nasty.

That matcha stuff was a great shout I must say. I've been drinking it for a few days now and it's definitely helped my energy levels. I used to always drop off at aound 3 and 6 pm, and lately I haven't needed a power nap at all.

It does smell vile though. Tastes okay. Smells well nasty.

Nah thats too long, I think there is a limit to the length of thread titles - cut it back a bit. I did like it though.

...but agreed, it is great stuff alright. The smell is kinda like grass, the garden variety that is... even the taste kinda taste like what I'd imagine boiled grass might taste like. Seemingly a chocolate or something sweet before works well with the taste. Running low myself, have to fork out more cash in the coming days.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

milltown wrote: »
    Q Bert does a drum solo with one record and a crossfader.

Respect!
    I have to say that the vast majority of this turntablism/DMC stuff does my head in and just sounds like irritating noise, but that is brilliant.
    I think anybody who ever bought a set of decks had a notion of becoming a scratching king. Has anyone here ever got to a reasonable level of skill with the crossfader?

That's pretty impressive alright. I defy anybody that says that a turntable is not an instrument.

Has anybody ever used the Vestax QFO?

Ah, my bad. It wasn't a thread a suggestion title, I meant to say in my post that I was just gonna mention it while we were briefly on topic again.

Running low myself, have to fork out more cash in the coming days.

I got mine in Nourish on Liffey Street. I remember you saying you paid €25 for 25 portions or something like that. The one they have in there is €20 for 30 servings.

Ah, my bad. It wasn't a thread a suggestion title, I meant to say in my post that I was just gonna mention it while we were briefly on topic again.

Aha... was only buzzin :pac:
    I got mine in Nourish on Liffey Street. I remember you saying you paid €25 for 25 portions or something like that. The one they have in there is €20 for 30 servings.

Cheers - must pick it up there instead. Don't think I'll have even got 20 servings out of it to be honest either. I use a full teaspoon per cup - how much are you going with?

The Randomers Random Thread of Randomness
    +1 Liking this
    For me this is what I love the most from Van... brings back a lot of stoned memories from over the years, probably a 2am moment in someone's kitchen with not much being said...

I had a mate who'd put that on in the small hours when we'd run out of Tangerine Dream to listen to. great choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭francois

old gregg wrote: »

As did the Chocolate Watch Band and 13th Floor Elevators :p

Always preferred covers of Dylan songs to the originals-though the amount of covers, especially in the 60's, just showed how influential he was

Advertisement