Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You are not a f*cking DJ. You’re an overpaid, untalented, cake-throwing c*nt.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

jtsuited wrote: »
    ARRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!

It's Solpadeine. No H.
    People prounouncing it as if it has a h (or an f) actually drives me berserk. One of my many irritances.
    Pedantry is one of mine. ;)

In fairness though, I am a bit of a spell check nazi too, but in this case it was a proper noun so I'll let myself off with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

francois wrote: »
    Even worse is the confusion over loose/lose, that particularly gets on my wick

jesus when I joined boards it was for the poker forum and every day there was a thread where someone would have to be corrected on the lose/loose thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭ianuss

Is it not sticky back plastic if not using the tradename?

Or was it actually called cellotape before the brandname?

I would imagine they changed the c to an s to avoid being so instrument specific. Celiists aren't a big market like.

Yes, it was cellotape before the brand name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

ianuss wrote: »
    Sorry, I don't care what the name of the company is. The sh1t you use to stick to stuff is spelt cellotape. End of.

I know the whole hoover/vacum cleaner and biro/pen thing. But that doesn't take away from the fact that people are eroneously using brands.
    It's a genericised trademark. There is no such word as "cellotape."

Yes, it was cellotape before the brand name.

done and done then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

Well the fact you can't find any dictionary reference online to the mention of Cellotape would suggest that the manufacturers of Sellotape have been quite vigilant and I reckon the only way they could block the use of the word cellotape is if they could prove it was a corruption of their brand name. I'm probably wrong but that's my reading on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭francois

Well the fact you can't find any dictionary reference online to the mention of Cellotape would suggest that the manufacturers of Sellotape have been quite vigilant and I reckon the only way they could block the use of the word cellotape is if they could prove it was a corruption of their brand name. I'm probably wrong but that's my reading on it.

A sticky situation eh?

You see this is why we need a dedicated 'Adhesive History and Nomenclature' forum. I'm sick to the teeth of saying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭francois

You see this is why we need a dedicated 'Adhesive History and Nomenclature' forum. I'm sick to the teeth of saying it.

sounds like a good new name for the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭ianuss

Pace2008 wrote: »
    It's a genericised trademark. There is no such word as "cellotape."

While I'm loath to quote wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sellotape), which mentions a change from 'C' to 'S' for branding purposes. I must admit that I'm struggling to find the proof I had before.

• Advertisement

Sorry, I don't care what the name of the company is. The sh1t you use to stick to stuff is spelt cellotape. End of.

I know the whole hoover/vacum cleaner and biro/pen thing. But that doesn't take away from the fact that people are eroneously using brand names.

No the sh¡t you use to stick stuff is self adhesive tape.

If I use my biro to write my name on a xeroxed sheet and then c(s)ellotape it to my hoover I'd be exhausted from all the product placement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

No the sh¡t you use to stick stuff is self adhesive tape.

If I use my biro to write my name on a xeroxed sheet and then c(s)ellotape it to my hoover I'd be exhausted from all the product placement.

But if carlsberg did do product placement.........

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

For those who haven't seen (Prenderville related):
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68829479&postcount=4408

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Ooh look, students rioting :

http://twitpic.com/33kmrn

Haha, looks like some students occupied the department of finance offices. Had a few mates who did that a few years ago. Didn't even make the 9 o clock news at the time.

Haha, looks like some students occupied the department of finance offices. Had a few mates who did that a few years ago. Didn't even make the 9 o clock news at the time.

Its already making the news as we speak, sent straight to my reporter mate, lol....

:p

joker77 wrote: »
    For those who haven't seen (Prenderville related):
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68829479&postcount=4408

As I read somewhere else today:

He should have left the langer in the hangar.

Still no mention on the Indo website... RTE and Irish Times have it. Odd.

I'd say the students are gonna get a good crowd of bystanders who are just thinkin 'fcuk this, may as well get involved' on the way to the dole office. More power to them imo!

Maybe this could be the mini-riot that causes some change. Ah my youth is being reignited. Anybody wanna go lynch the dude from the Wi-Max ad? Not really related but a lynching is a lynching and that cúnt is asking for it.

• Advertisement

Fieldog wrote: »

Nah, its the police doing a flash mob, they all started singing 'Go West' and then they all just disappeared. It was hiwarious…

Its already making the news as we speak, sent straight to my reporter mate, lol....

:p

see this is the thing. back then, the news media were very very very pro-government. You had to break a window at least to get some coverage. And even then you'd be portrayed as some lefty nutbag (which mightn't have been entirely inaccurate).

Tempted to take a stroll down...

The first I heard of it was after lunch when 2 of the company directors (one being the MD) strolled through it accidentally.

I suppose I'm not a student, am I alone though? Did this pass under the radar or did I just not hear anything beforehand?

ah bollocks....SWP flags evident at the frontline. Those guys are soft cúnts. "Ogra Sinn Fein to the front desk. Ogra Sinn Fein to the front desk."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

I'd say the students are gonna get a good crowd of bystanders who are just thinkin 'fcuk this, may as well get involved' on the way to the dole office. More power to them imo!

Maybe this could be the mini-riot that causes some change. Ah my youth is being reignited. Anybody wanna go lynch the dude from the Wi-Max ad? Not really related but a lynching is a lynching and that cúnt is asking for it.

Ahh the anarchistic force is strong within you young jedi, join with me & together we can...........

Wait, no that was a movie, getting a little carried away here:D

joker77 wrote: »
    Tempted to take a stroll down...

The first I heard of it was after lunch when 2 of the company directors (one being the MD) strolled through it accidentally.

I suppose I'm not a student, am I alone though? Did this pass under the radar or did I just not hear anything beforehand?

I didn't hear anything about it til today on facebook when a load of people i knew were saying they were on their way in. And not exactly the beret-wearing Marx quoting idealists you usually find going to these things with gusto.

As I read somewhere else today:

He should have left the langer in the hangar.

http://i55.tinypic.com/plr4j.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jimi_t2

148542_497153466578_698106578_7167798_7695425_n.jpg

I didn't hear anything about it til today on facebook when a load of people i knew were saying they were on their way in. And not exactly the beret-wearing Marx quoting idealists you usually find going to these things with gusto.

Hey Groucho Marx rocked! I'll quote him whenever I want!

I have had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it.

And the missus says the beret makes me look artistic (at least I think she said artistic, or was it autistic?)

• Advertisement

The media seem to be caught on the hop a little as well - the main pictures on the Irish times site are coming from people's twitpics

Advertisement