Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You are not a f*cking DJ. You’re an overpaid, untalented, cake-throwing c*nt.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

I'm traditionally a football person (soccer for the GAA heads), but don't watch a whole lot anymore - have been very disillusioned with the game. If you support Liverpool or Manchester United, you're essentially cheering for a U.S. based Hedge fund.

The game in this country is brutal, sorry for all the LOI fans, I've tried watching it and just can't. I played at a decent enough standard (Leinster Senior League, prem sat), and sometimes watching LOI games I can't help thinking that some lads on my old team would be far better, the amount of HOOFING that goes on. Very little attempt is made to play the game as it should be played.

The money men in this country sold the game down the river, that's why it's in such a bad state today. Shamrock Rovers used to get 5 or 6 thousand a week in the 60s in Milltown - where did that money go??? They were still just renting the pitches, the blazers creaming the money. And the FAI? How much is Delaney on again? Don't care how many rounds of drinks he buys on trains, he's still a muppet.

I've a bug bear against the GAA from youth, because seeing I played 'the foreign game' - my neighbours Dad who was a local GAA team manager wouldn't let us (my and my brother) play any GAA with his kids. I know it's an isolated incident, but it's stuck with me and p*ssed me off.

To be honest, if I had kids, I'd rather them playing rugby than soccer. Although rugby would want to be careful - the money is increasing in the game (French clubs buying leagues and whatnot), they have it right in this country at the moment but it's going to be a fine line over the next few years. Yes it's still just 'poshies' playing the game at the highest level - you only play rugby if you went to the right school when I was growing up, but I think that's changing and will be more inclusive for our kids generation.

Cycling is my sport at the moment (I know, I know, it's a farce with the amount of them on the hot sauce).

Up at 8am yesterday, out the door at 9am for a 100kms cycle with some Boards lads. Up again today at 8.30, going to meet up with the cycling club I just joined for maybe 60-80kms.

Some weekends I'd only be getting home at 8am, makes a change wha'!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I agree with you on the soccer thing. I've followed Spurs since I was 7 but lately have found the whole thing tough going. The money in the game is eventually going to ruin it, and most matches these days aren't a patch on even a reasonable game of rugby. I have absolutely no interest in LOI either.

The last few years I've been going to more rugby matches and watching way more on TV, and feeling the better for it. I was at the match last night and there was just so much more to cheer and shout at (even though we lost) than there would've been in an equivilant soccer match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

errrr ok then :eek:
    acman wrote: »
    +

Nice...

So my contribution to why soccer is shoite...

soccer_rugby_difference.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stomprockin

Can't stand Rugby..

Extreme boredom to say the least, The fact that the ball is only in play for about 20 of the 80 minutes says it all.:D:)

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I hate soccer, zero interest in it - used to watch World Cup games etc years ago but all the bullsh1t around players and the associated fame, wives, crazy money changing hands, scandals and related crap put me off even bothering with World Cup. It can be a pain at times when out either socially, with work or with my other half's family as when talk of Man U selling some nob for 62 trillion comes up, I have to check my phone for texts or find something to keep me busy till the topic changes! - I can't even pretend to discuss it, just typically say I've no interest in soccer which is generally met with :eek: type looks - I then follow to say music is my passion and there is no time left for following soccer :pac:

Rugby I like, not a massive fan but will generally watch Ireland play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

It can be a pain at times when out either socially, with work or with my other half's family as when talk of Man U selling some nob for 62 trillion comes up, I have to check my phone for texts or find something to keep me busy till the topic changes! - I can't even pretend to discuss it, just typically say I've no interest in soccer which is generally met with :eek: type looks -

Yep, happens me too.People think there is someting wrong with you if you say you dont like football.
    I play football every week but hate watching or talking about it.
    Its especially awkward when your the new fella on a construction site and the lunchtime talk is all football.
    I watch highlights of the goals and that suits me fine,all the good bits without the filler inbetween

Most of the time with fellas football is just something to talk about - like the usual small talk (weather, holidays etc). The vast majority don't have a clue about the game itself, just talk about the popular issues - as you say some toolbox getting transferred for x amount of money etc etc. Would bore anyone to tears.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

%7BAF620305-CB96-4F1F-85D4-0B59D4F43977%7D.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

I cant understand blokes who dont like football ill watch any amount of football for hours on end and spend any amount of time discussing it :eek: nah seriously whatever floats your boat,along with music it would be my main passion,having said that ive been pi**ed off at modern football now for years the middle class corporate types have hijacked it and money rules the roost, f**k off back to your Rugby or Polo sport you cun*s football is a working mans game,it's magic when you see FC United last Friday night causing an upset like that in the FA Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

jonnny68 wrote: »
    I cant understand blokes who dont like football ill watch any amount of football for hours on end and spend any amount of time discussing it :eek: nah seriously whatever floats your boat,along with music it would be my main passion,having said that ive been pi**ed off at modern football now for years the middle class corporate types have hijacked it and money rules the roost, f**k off back to your Rugby or Polo sport you cun*s football is a working mans game,it's magic when you see FC United last Friday night causing an upset like that in the FA Cup.
    Football was better in the old days eh johnny:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

jonnny68 wrote: »

I went to a football match once. There was a load of unwashed, smelly oiks all around me chanting obseneties and shout rude comments about the sexuality of the referee. I was terrified they were going to scuff my loafers when they were walking past me and their spittle kept getting in my martini when they shouted. Ghastly experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

jtsuited wrote: »
    The hits going in were sick and the intensity was full on.

Bwaaahaaaahaaaaa!
    Wasn't it you who wanted the name of the random thread changed because it sounded too nobby?
    acman wrote: »
    Nice...

So my contribution to why soccer is shoite...

soccer_rugby_difference.jpg

One of the lads in work is a rugger bugger and often tries to make similar arguments. He usually buttons it when I ask him when was the last time he saw a footballer winking at the bench as he walked off the pitch with fake blood coming out of his mouth?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

all the bullsh1t around players and the associated fame, wives, crazy money changing hands, scandals and related crap ........................... with work or with my other half's family as when talk of Man U selling some nob for 62 trillion comes up, .

Im not a fan of either game really but will watch a few games of football every now & again, regarding all that you said above i agree 100% with you but it really bears no relevance in my mind when the play is actually in progrees on the pitch, all that stuff is a side show for Sun newspaper reading, emmerdale watching, facebookers & i would have zero interest in it either. You can still enjoy a good game of football without buying into all that sh.ite you mentioned & actually take pleasure out of cutting the conversation off at the neck if anyone trys to start talking to me about rooneys money etc etc etc & watch them gasping at the gills to get the waffle out like a fish out of water to an unreceptive ear.
    seannash wrote: »
    Football was better in the old days eh johnny:)

milltown wrote: »
    One of the lads in work is a rugger bugger and often tries to make similar arguments. He usually buttons it when I ask him when was the last time he saw a footballer winking at the bench as he walked off the pitch with fake blood coming out of his mouth?

What about Ronaldo at the world cup before last, helping Rooney get sent off and then winking at his bench. You are talking about one incident which was dealt with severely and straight away. Strange how so many footballers who were rolling around the pitch in absolute agony calling for their mothers to ease the pain are able to get up and play with not a bother on them?

I'm not a huge sports fan but I will watch the six nations religiously and no soccer match will ever compare to a rugby match imo. A soccer match can never be as tense as say Ireland playing Wales for the Six Nations two years. What a game.

A soccer match can never be as tense as say Ireland playing Wales for the Six Nations two years. What a game.

I dont know, i would say the Ireland France game recently in Paris was pretty tense affair leaving aside the handball, Ireland playing spain in the last 16 of the world cup 2002 was also very tense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

I find the one thing that puts me off football is the commentary. The standard of English used by them is a bloody disgrace. I know Nugent, Hook etc. aren't exactly the finest wordsmiths around but Jesus the soccer pundits and commentators just take the piss.

I think a huge appeal for many people with rugby is the fact that you'll have 30 guys out on field unleashing inhuman amounts of aggression upon each other, but when given out to by the referee they're as mild mannered and respectful as can be.

Mainly because of the fact that rugby is a lawyer's game. The laws of the game are constantly retooled and reviewed and up for discussion. It means rugby as a sport is a perpetual beta.

I coach sports to kids and find a very interesting situation with the kids who come to it from a soccer background vs a rugby background. The soccer kids seem to think that it's ok to give out when a decision doesn't go their way and generally act the cúnt. That's because it's what they see their semi-literate, overpaid, grossly uneducated heroes do.

I genuinely believe sports build character in people's youth, and I can think of nothing more valuable to a young person than being on a rugby team. Rugby teaches you that talent is nothing compared to passion and determination. You'll often see teams who are significantly lacking in skill compared to their opponents win matches because the simply want it more and are willing to put in the hard work.

Maybe I view it through rose tinted glasses because I didn't go to a rugby school and the club I played for were known for being pioneers in giving oppurtunities for kids from the working classes (Trevor Brennan came from the same club, and even trained us a few times).
    People not liking a sport because the people predominantly playing it are from a more socioeconomically successful group of people is beyond retarded, and it screams 'a massive chip on your shoulder'.
    I understand that the whole elitist-Dublin-based culture isn't exactly the most appealing, but if you feel that class identity is that important to your sense of self than I feel sorry for you.
    I don't say roysh, I didn't go to a rugby school, I don't have the privileged background most stereotypical Leinster fans have, but I drink Heineken and cheer them on every chance I get. I go to a lot of their matches and while sometimes you're sitting beside complete Ross O Carrol Kelly clones, it's still one hell of a spectator sport experience.

Good points.

You don't really drink Heineken though do you?

joker77 wrote: »
    Good points.

You don't really drink Heineken though do you?

I don't actually drink anymore tbh. But when I did, I drank Heineken and Guiness (if I was feeling hungry).

Aye, you had me until you said you drank Heineken.

I think the whole perception of posh toffs playing the sport is a pretty much a Dublin phenomenon and while there was a history of only Private School people playing for Ireland with the sport turning professional here that will slowly become a thing of the past. Obviously there will still be players from the big rugby schools but that's because there still the biggest advocates of the sport.

I'm from the Midlands, lived in a pretty frugal house growing up and my pronunciation of Utterly Butterly is a thing of beauty (I manage to make all the Ts silent) but I love watching Rugby. To view it as a upper class only sport is pretty ridiculous as jt has pointed out.

• Advertisement

Oh and btw, the affluence of rugby types really only has to do with the Union-League split back in the early 20th century.

What about Ronaldo at the world cup before last, helping Rooney get sent off and then winking at his bench. You are talking about one incident which was dealt with severely and straight away. Strange how so many footballers who were rolling around the pitch in absolute agony calling for their mothers to ease the pain are able to get up and play with not a bother on them?

Ooh, don't be biting!
    I'll grant you the Harlequins debacle was a once off (albeit a useful one for my needs) but it took over a year to get it sorted, not straight away. And how Williams got away with only a one year ban I have no idea.

I went to a rugby school and played because I had to. My siblings are rugby mad, one of them works for Leinster rugby. I enjoy watching a big game, be it Leinster or Ireland but more from a regional/national pride point of view. Same way any sports fan would watch Katy Taylor, Dearbhal O'Rourke, Matthew Macklin or any other Irish sports entity. Given a choice between watching a mid table league 1 soccer match or a rugby match between two sides I had only heard of in sports news, I'll choose the football every time. I just prefer it.

As a lover of the sport I can't disagree with your point about players feigning mortal injury. It's poisoning the game and making it a lot harder to watch and the responsibility lies with FIFA to get rid of it. I applaud rugby for doing everything it can to ensure, as far as possible, that the right decisions are made, and I can't wait for the day that soccer refs can stop a game for a minute, check the VT, then come back and say "not only are you not getting a penalty, you're getting a card son. Try that again and you're off and banned for a few games". As it stands though, the rewards for cheating outweigh the risks by a wide, wide margin.
    I'm not a huge sports fan but I will watch the six nations religiously and no soccer match will ever compare to a rugby match imo. A soccer match can never be as tense as say Ireland playing Wales for the Six Nations two years. What a game.

Nonsense. Ireland v. France, as Is mise said. Liverpool v. Milan in the CL final 5 years ago. United v. Bayern in '99.
    The tension you found in the six nations game was directly related to how emotionally invested in it you were. It was not universal. Ditto for the soccer examples given.

Nonsense. Ireland v. France, as Is mise said. Liverpool v. Milan in the CL final 5 years ago. United v. Bayern in '99.
    The tension you found in the six nations game was directly related to how emotionally invested in it you were. It was not universal. Ditto for the soccer examples given.

One more to mention i found an extremeley tense game to watch despite it being goal less for the duration of the game before penalties was Juve V's Milan 2003 CL final which i actually watched in Italy, perhaps the setting added to the tension & the fact i was surrounded by Juve/Milan supporters but it was one to remember all right.

Aye, well the chances are I'm not going to invest the same way in a football match the way I might in rugby so yeah you're right on that point. I will point to this year's World Cup final though - absolutely atrocious. Would the final of arugby world cup ever be as bad as that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Just when i see the Philip glass reference, have you ever seen this movie,

Koyaanisqatsi

Koyaanisqatsi-Life-Out-of-Balance-B000068OCS-L.jpg

Philip glass is the composer on it & i have to say it completley blew me away when i first seen it, the score is perfectly composed to build the momentum that is being portrayed visully & really nails it with maximum impact......this is a must see with no distractions from start to end on a big screen with stereo up a good whack, i would advise also to watch it without drink as the pi.ss breaks will only interupt the flow of the film.

Nice one man, though if you want to see a truly horrific film with such a conflicting (yet magnificent) score check out the uncut version on Cannibal Holocaust. Most disturbing film I've ever seen with a fab soundtrack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭acman

My only beef with rugby is the extortionate ticket prices but it's good to see that even O'Gara has publicly addressed the issue! Ronan O'Gara pleads for cheaper tickets following Ireland's defeat to South Africa

I really wanted to see the Ireland VS New Zealand game (I know, I know), but you are forced to pay €190 for the package deal which includes the Argentina match - thats still €95 per match though! Might go to see Samoa next week at "only" €50 - anybody from here going?

On another note, is anybody embracing their gamer nerdyness tonight and buying the new Call of Duty at midnight?

I'm definitely in the minority that doesn't own any games console. Haven't played computer games in years (apart from the odd drunken lash at Wii during parties)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭ianuss

I'm also in the non-console owning minority.

As for the football v rugby debate, I'm a footy man myself. In general I'm a sports nut but I just can't get in to rugby. 30 lads running head first in to each other, throwing an egg-shaped ball backwards and occasionally kicking the ball straight up in the air - no thanks.

I'm sure it's a very skillful game and I probably just don't appreciate what I'm watching. Also, in rugby, you know when one team is on top as they're the ones making hard yards. Forward = good, backward = bad. Football isn't that simple. It's about creating exploitable situations, moving the ball and the oppostion around. Often, the best football is played with little or no end product - but I'm still left in awe at the skill levels professional footballers show.....touch, vision, awareness etc

But I do agree that money, showbiz BS and play-acting are really hurting the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭ianuss

The game in this country is brutal, sorry for all the LOI fans, I've tried watching it and just can't. I played at a decent enough standard (Leinster Senior League, prem sat), and sometimes watching LOI games I can't help thinking that some lads on my old team would be far better, the amount of HOOFING that goes on. Very little attempt is made to play the game as it should be played.

I would have agreed totally with that until a few weeks ago. I watched Sligo v Boh's in the FAI Cup semi, and Sligo play seriously good football. They absolutely played Boh's off the park. I was so impressed with what I saw that I'm going to the final next weekend in The Aviva (tickets are only €10 btw FAI and IRFU). I'm genuinely really looking forward to it too. Haven't been to a LOI game in nearly 20 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭francois

I'm definitely in the minority that doesn't own any games console. Haven't played computer games in years (apart from the odd drunken lash at Wii during parties)

Me too, gave up when I realised i was **** at asteroids in the stillorgan bowl a long time ago

Advertisement