Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You are not a f*cking DJ. You’re an overpaid, untalented, cake-throwing c*nt.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Today's student protest in London seems like the best protest ever. After talking about windows getting smashed and fires getting lit etc, one reporter said:

"Reports have now come in that someone has just turned up with a drum and bass sound-system."

Where's Steve?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Where's Steve?
    I think we all know where he is now.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

joker77 wrote: »
    What do you reckon you'll get it down to?

I honestly thought my last bulk buy (13 vinyl just over a month ago) would be my last for a while as well - but I've about 300 Euro worth of stuff sitting in my Wantlist on discogs... Admittedly that's a bit skewed by the Osgut box set
    and a limited STL album

The problem is that it will go up a lot between now and then - the amount so far was about 30 minutes browsing last weekend! Oh and the OstGut comp is sitting patiently waiting there in the basket too. I've bought feck all vinyl now for a couple of months so I probably will be a bit over the top in this one, fkc it, I work hard and deserve a treat - at least that my justification at home :pac:

Oh and having planned to 'go digital' and done yet another u-turn, I've now decided to invest in a home cinema system instead, I rarely go out these days so may as well have a good home setup for movies - this Yamaha bad boy is going down in price as of next week to 399...

http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/catalog.cgi?view_product=1&id=27120&sid=10&cid=123&scid=5488

...and I need to add some floor standing fronts, a centre, sub and probably go for bookshelf rears... can't wait. Looking at these for the fronts - they'll double as great music speakers as well as plenty of oomph for home cinema.

http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/catalog.cgi?view_product=1&id=26915&sid=10&cid=4199&scid=5531

Thankfully again, being in this industry I get the pleasure of reasonable discounts :P Yet to get full home approval though so this little dream could still go the way of the pear.

Do you have young children? Brave choice of speaker if you do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jimi_t2

Got to see this live last night :D

• Advertisement

Do you have young children? Brave choice of speaker if you do!

Yeah two young kids, and one of them is in the bedroom directly above the sitting room - the ultimate plan is to put the system in the attic, ideal room for home cinema when I can eventually afford to kit it out like one - proper sofa, pull down screen and all that... so I'd prefer to do it right in terms of the system, I can keep the volume low for now!

jimi_t2 wrote: »
    Got to see this live last night :D

Yeah me too, great show - my wife was not one bit impressed though by the first half of Philip Glass, I didn't even look at her for the first half as I could feel the hate coming from her!

I loved it, amazing to hear Apollo live along with the Nasa visuals.

Yeah two young kids, and one of them is in the bedroom directly above the sitting room - the ultimate plan is to put the system in the attic, ideal room for home cinema when I can eventually afford to kit it out like one - proper sofa, pull down screen and all that... so I'd prefer to do it right in terms of the system, I can keep the volume low for now!

Ah it's not the decibels I'd be worried about, it'd be the actual speakers staying in tact. Those cones are oh so tempting to kids to poke at, especially at that height.

Ah it's not the decibels I'd be worried about, it'd be the actual speakers staying in tact. Those cones are oh so tempting to kids to poke at, especially at that height.

Get ya, good point - that was actually a fairly frequent issue presented to me when I worked in various stores selling them years back. I already have floor standing speakers in the sitting room so they are used to the idea of not going near them... Nowhere near the quality though of what I have planned... hopefully they have grills on the front, new shiny speakers might be tempting for them alright.

whatever about kids, I cannot resist the urge to poke at speakers. I've had to spend a good while unpoking speakers over the years to undo my damage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jimi_t2

Yeah me too, great show - my wife was not one bit impressed though by the first half of Philip Glass, I didn't even look at her for the first half as I could feel the hate coming from her!

Ahahah, understandable. Heard a lot of hilarious ''Emperors New Clothes'' conversations when we were having a fag outside at the interval as no one wanted to be seen to say that they didn't like it :D Wouldn't have been a big fan of it at all myself, was expecting it to build around harmonics as it all went out of phase like this

But the buggers all stayed in perfect time for 40 odd minutes! Fair dues to the first fella on keyboards though, he must have been fooked by the end of it. Still though, something different and gave me a hankering for triggering a load of Tubular Bells-esque 16 bar stuff in Ableton today

(this was the piece for anyone wondering, but was arranged for like a 12 piece ensemble)

I loved it, amazing to hear Apollo live along with the Nasa visuals.

Too true - Icebreaker are a pretty sweet ensemble to be fair, although poor woman with the electro-violin was having awful problems with her cables though. Was pretty cool seeing your man with the woodwind MIDI Controller as well though, and the bass sax and other mad instrumentation in the second half. Your man (Leo Enright?) was very entertaining at the beginning as well

Heard a lot of hilarious ''Emperors New Clothes'' conversations when we were having a fag outside at the interval as no one wanted to be seen to say that they didn't like it :D

I'm fairly sure provoking such conversations is the entire purpose of 99% of contemporary classical music. It's like a murder mystery between all the composers where everyone's at a loss to who's actually the talented one.

Steve Reich in the Drawing Room with his 18 Musicians!

Ahahah, understandable. Heard a lot of hilarious ''Emperors New Clothes'' conversations when we were having a fag outside at the interval as no one wanted to be seen to say that they didn't like it :D Wouldn't have been a big fan of it at all myself, was expecting it to build around harmonics as it all went out of phase like this

But the buggers all stayed in perfect time for 40 odd minutes! Fair dues to the first fella on keyboards though, he must have been fooked by the end of it. Still though, something different and gave me a hankering for triggering a load of Tubular Bells-esque 16 bar stuff in Ableton today

(this was the piece for anyone wondering, but was arranged for like a 12 piece ensemble)

Too true - Icebreaker are a pretty sweet ensemble to be fair, although poor woman with the electro-violin was having awful problems with her cables though. Was pretty cool seeing your man with the woodwind MIDI Controller as well though, and the bass sax and other mad instrumentation in the second half. Your man (Leo Enright?) was very entertaining at the beginning as well

Yeah there were moments during the Philip Glass piece where it was all a bit too intense, but then big deep bass would become involved and literally put shivers through me. The main thought in my mind come the interval was the desire to listen to Music for 18 Musicians on my headphones, which I intend to do later tonight. It was unbelievably intense at the very end, and then just abruptly stopped, kinda felt like a sigh of relief! I suppose it was a difficult but enjoyable listen.

True, amazing how that guy remained on the keyboard the whole time - it was that actually which bothered my wife the most, the constant repetitive nature of that element from start to finish.

I think the Apollo piece was just great, loved the introduction from Leo Enright, he was very interesting alright and the music was stunning from start to finish - great how they closed by playing An Ending again... and that guy BJ Cole was great on steel guitar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Twenty to three and it's getting dark outside... what a miserable day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

1286257669322.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

jtsuited wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure provoking such conversations is the entire purpose of 99% of contemporary classical music. It's like a murder mystery between all the composers where everyone's at a loss to who's actually the talented one.

Steve Reich in the Drawing Room with his 18 Musicians!

I remember there was a great thread over on the classical music forum, where some bloke started saying basically that, and everyone went nuts. I can't find it now, but it was good craic.

Might have been me lol.

Although I am quite the fan of contemporary classical music. And would you believe, am a composer of it (though I'm waiting for other things to go tits up before I get that big juicy arts council grant to make 'modern music').

In other news, I caught a glimpse of Fade Street.

If you're feeling like me, I thoroughly recommend you go over to the music production forum where one of the members of the band in it, was actually pluggin it (i sh1t you not!!!).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭ianuss

Might have been me lol.

In other news, I caught a glimpse of Fade Street.

If you're feeling like me, I thoroughly recommend you go over to the music production forum where one of the members of the band in it, was actually pluggin it (i sh1t you not!!!).

Just made myself watch it. Fukking cringe!! What planet are these people from????? It's actually hard to believe it's Dublin. It's certainly a new low for RTE.

And how's about some linkage for the kerfuffle in the production forum?....

ianuss wrote: »
    Just made myself watch it. Fukking cringe!! What planet are these people from????? It's actually hard to believe it's Dublin. It's certainly a new low for RTE.

And how's about some linkage for the kerfuffle in the production forum?....

I can't believe that people actually still come out with the fcukin 'irish begrudgery sh1te' every time some cúnt is acting the cúnt and gets called a cúnt.

now, there's my cúnt quota met for the day...

oh yeah, the link

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056085003

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭ianuss

I can't believe that people actually still come out with the fcukin 'irish begrudgery sh1te' every time some cúnt is acting the cúnt and gets called a cúnt.

You're bang on the money there man. Cuntitude shouldn't be encouraged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

How do you make something 'real' then? The minute you put a camera in front of 90% of people they turn into a twat.

(I'm not having a go, I'm just wondering)

Also, if they're going for that 'cool promotions/DJs/bands' scene, it doesn't really exist to be honest...Most of the 'rockstars' and DJs I've met have been pretty normal people, not too interesting, same with the bands. In my experience how famous someone is as a musician is directly proportional to how much of a nerd they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

now, there's my cúnt quota met for the day...

oh yeah, the link

I always felt there should be a 'Paddy's Law' along the line of Godwin's Law. Anytime someone says 'Typical Irish Begrudgery' you could invoke Paddy's Law.

You Begrudging Bollix.

How do you make something 'real' then? The minute you put a camera in front of 90% of people they turn into a twat.

(I'm not having a go, I'm just wondering)

Also, if they're going for that 'cool promotions/DJs/bands' scene, it doesn't really exist to be honest...Most of the 'rockstars' and DJs I've met have been pretty normal people, not too interesting, same with the bands. In my experience how famous someone is as a musician is directly proportional to how much of a nerd they are.

er, is this in the right thread? I can't make head nor tail of it.

I always felt there should be a 'Paddy's Law' along the line of Godwin's Law. Anytime someone says 'Typical Irish Begrudgery' you could invoke Paddy's Law.

You Begrudging Bollix.

You're bloody on to something there.
    Seriously.

Finbar's law perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

You're bloody on to something there.
    Seriously.

Finbar's law perhaps?

Needs to be even more Irish. Fiachra's Law?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭R.Shackleford

Oh sweet Jesus that Fade Street show has to be a wind-up! Please tell me its not real and all the people in it are actors, please. Oh the humanity!

lads the real wind-up is the thread in the music production forum involving certain parties involved in the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Needs to be even more Irish. Fiachra's Law?
    That is actually great,This could be the start of an internet sensation.

do a meme for that ASAP

Actually, this would be a national meme by monday if we get a few funny gifs together of Alison Riordan, Samantha Mumba, the kids from Fade Street, Bono, etc.

edit: all with the usual sh1te of 'tall poppy syndrome imo' in speech bubbles. 'typical irish begrudgery' .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

needs to be something like that victorian fella you see(do people know that one)

I love the forever alone one:D

Advertisement