Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You are not a f*cking DJ. You’re an overpaid, untalented, cake-throwing c*nt.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

ha - clearly

Mostly on discogs at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

A good function of discogs is the Want List. When you buy something from someone it let's you know if that person has anything in your Want List. Only problem is that have to fill out a Want List!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Yea I've been using that - it's handy to see if you've a few from the same seller so you can cut down on shipping. Got most of my recent purchases from a guy in Germany who has free shipping to Germany for orders over a certain amount, saved 30 quid there, happy days.

I'm a few quid up on the Haye fight, if Pacquaio wins in 7/8/9 I'll have made back a good bit of the vinyl outlay.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

joker77 wrote: »
    Yea I've been using that - it's handy to see if you've a few from the same seller so you can cut down on shipping. Got most of my recent purchases from a guy in Germany who has free shipping to Germany for orders over a certain amount, saved 30 quid there, happy days.

I'm a few quid up on the Haye fight, if Pacquaio wins in 7/8/9 I'll have made back a good bit of the vinyl outlay.

I can't help thinkg that we should be spending all this money on coke and hookers.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

jtsuited wrote: »
    I'll never forget the day I found this place....

20070_324953060139_541025139_5104501_4143513_n.jpg

This kinda reminds me of when I was in my early 20s in a rep job traveling around Ireland - got many a giggle out of various town/village names I'd pass through. Never forget though hearing about the village of Muff and the diving club they have there...

http://www.muffdivingclub.ie/

• Advertisement

textbook definition of win imo!!

Have a nephew who's just turned three. Showed him how music was made using my computer and midi keyboard (he banged away on it, and I recorded it, and we'd make a little collaboratory tune).

Of course he didn't get bored of it at all, and I was woke at 5am the next day to the screams of 'Jeff Piano Time. Piano Time.' It's then that I realised my choice of career is probably more of a retardation of my developmental transition into adulthood, than any sort of noble creative choice.

Lego is epic fun with kids. When you get into competitions about who can build the highest tower out of random blocks, engineering principles win everytime!!
    Of course that's presuming they don't get all the good bits and you end up trying to build a house using lego gates, windows, and the little lego man heads. They're not structurally sound by any stretch of the imagination.

Yeah its great, I spent about two hours this evening piecing together various bits to create a house, pizzeria, van and little one-seat plane... great fun, have my eye on a police station and airport now for Christmas :pac:

Here, where the fck is this feature on discogs that indicates a value on your collection? I've been pretty anal about adding any new purchases to it for a long time now, still haven't got to add all my older stuff but intend to get around to it - I see it as being pretty fckin important - house gets broken into and all stolen? Fire? Fck me, that would be horrific on an immeasurable scale. I have a separate insurance policy on my music and an exported spreadsheet of my collection from discogs to back it up - a value feature would compliment this nicely.

Here, where the fck is this feature on discogs that indicates a value on your collection? I've been pretty anal about adding any new purchases to it for a long time now, still haven't got to add all my older stuff but intend to get around to it - I see it as being pretty fckin important - house gets broken into and all stolen? Fire? Fck me, that would be horrific on an immeasurable scale. I have a separate insurance policy on my music and an exported spreadsheet of my collection from discogs to back it up - a value feature would compliment this nicely.

took me a while to figure it out last night actually. go to your discogs home. then click collection. then at the very right beside the view options there's a sort of bar chart looking thing. click that and up it pops.

took me a while to figure it out last night actually. go to your discogs home. then click collection. then at the very right beside the view options there's a sort of bar chart looking thing. click that and up it pops.

Cool, got it now - looks like I can reduce my insurance policy on my collection!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭harsea8

Cool, got it now - looks like I can reduce my insurance policy on my collection!

Just out of interest, how (and with whom) did you set up this separate policy on your vinyl?

harsea8 wrote: »
    Just out of interest, how (and with whom) did you set up this separate policy on your vinyl?

Just include a separate value specific to your music collection as part of the house insurance - not sure now who we use for home insurance but they'll all offer it no problem, cost goes up of course if you say you DJ and will take records from the house.

Also, at the moment all they have is the value I say it's worth, nothing to actually prove that it even exists - I guess the latter would only ever become a factor should I need to claim.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭harsea8

Ok, that makes sense. I suppose my ignorance stems from how people "value" their collections for insurance purposes. I'd imagine that the new ogs facility might work, but the actual value would depend not just on the titles you have, but also the condition (ie, G/VG vs NM/M)...I guess you just have to pick a ballpark value and just go with it.

I just took a stab at how many CDs & vinyl I reckon I have and put an average price on them - the important thing is though if something did happen to them that you could prove to an insurance company the contents of the collection and an attributed value... and yes this new feature on discogs makes that so easy if you are adding your collection to discogs.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, discogs is one of the best things that ever happened to me!

by the way, if you ever have a computer that's gettin old and decrepid, having it specifically insured in the contents of your house, is a great way of getting a free upgrade, should some horrific accident happen it (like a glass of water being thrown over it ACCIDENTALLY).

Of course you could leave some glasses of water around the vicinity to please the risk gods.

very surprised at how some of my recent purchases have gone up in price already. I guess when there's a knowledge that there's gonna be no repress, people just want them oh so much more.

I'm really glad I bought the Warp box set in 2009 when they were celebrating 20 years - I see it can now go for up to 270! Think I paid 110 including shipping...

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Warp20-1989-2009/release/1939634

Jesus, I remind me of so many people a few years ago talking about property prices. And actually, like my house, the majority of my vinyl is pretty much now in negative equity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Probably doesn't deserve a thread, so does anyone have experience of the Novation Remote SL MKII series? Thinking of picking up a the 49 in the next few weeks. Is there anything else I should consider?

Probably doesn't deserve a thread, so does anyone have experience of the Novation Remote SL MKII series? Thinking of picking up a the 49 in the next few weeks. Is there anything else I should consider?

for dj use or production use?

oh hold on sorry thought you were talkin bout the remote zero series, so I presume this will be as a mid keyboard for production etc.

IMO, buy the cheapest midi controller you can. All the bells and whistles don't get used at all. I've learnt that the hard way. My piece of sh1t axiom 25 has been replaced by the frankly ridiculous looking akai lpk 25. Couldn't be happier.

Well I have an Oxygen 8v2, but I'd like to have more control over soft synths than a few knobs that I have to map everytime. Hence thinking the Remote series with the automap feature would be dead handy.

Well I have an Oxygen 8v2, but I'd like to have more control over soft synths than a few knobs that I have to map everytime. Hence thinking the Remote series with the automap feature would be dead handy.

yeah I hear ya....but in reality, everyone ends up using the mouse anyway....

I remember mapping everything to all the controllers I had and it lasted about two days. The novelty wears off using midi controllers for plugin parameters in about 36 hours in my experience.

I remember when the first cheap controllers came out around 2003 and we all went bloody nuts for them, but within about 6 months, everybody was back to the mouses (yes i know the plural is mice) and screens.

• Advertisement

Food for thought I suppose. That then begs the question of what should I spend my money on! I think it'd a bit iierd buying something like Trilian and then controlling it with a €40 keyboard...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Food for thought I suppose. That then begs the question of what should I spend my money on! I think it'd a bit iierd buying something like Trilian and then controlling it with a €40 keyboard...
    I did the mapping thing also and i just ended up going back to the mouse,its almost instinctive at this point.

money to spend eh,thats a toughy.
    Id recommend software but you might have enough of that already.
    I know you got yamaha monitors so i think your all set with that end.

New chair?
    Mic?
    Soundcard?

Yeah, a mic I'd like alright. RAM would help too, CPU on Ableton is going mad atm.

Maybe some better quality VSTs too, rather than just freebies.

Step away from the softsynths.....Jesus me and Sean we used to go through every bloody softsynth every week.

There wasn't one that came on the market we didn't get I don't think. What an entirely useless waste of time that was. they all sound like much of a muchness when it comes to it tbh.

Step away from the softsynths.....Jesus me and Sean we used to go through every bloody softsynth every week.

There wasn't one that came on the market we didn't get I don't think. What an entirely useless waste of time that was. they all sound like much of a muchness when it comes to it tbh.

Not necessarily synths, maybe compressors, reverbs, delays etc.

Or I could just buy Logic.

Not necessarily synths, maybe compressors, reverbs, delays etc.

Or I could just buy Logic.

Well this is always the dilemma. Spend money on a load of vst's that have no resale value and will become obsolete or........'borrow' Logic.

By the way, have any of you heard of this bloke Skillrex? Basically a generic brostep producer on Deadmau5's label, with a new 10 track EP out. The EP is ****e, but like 8 of the tracks on it have been on the Beatport Top 10 for like the last few weeks. (only one on at the moment, but here's a screenshot I found of a week or two ago). Soul destroying stuff.

wtfhk.jpg

to be honest, it doesn't surprise me in the slightest. Beatport and Deadmau5 have been in cahoots since Faxing Berlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Harveey

By the way, have any of you heard of this bloke Skillrex? Basically a generic brostep producer on Deadmau5's label, with a new 10 track EP out. The EP is ****e, but like 8 of the tracks on it have been on the Beatport Top 10 for like the last few weeks. (only one on at the moment, but here's a screenshot I found of a week or two ago). Soul destroying stuff.

wtfhk.jpg

just checked skrillex there, really intense stuff, cheers for showing him to us ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Harveey

just found this there, skrillex released his ep not sure if its the one commented on above, but he released this one free to download anyways :D nothing like a good freebie from a talented producer ;)www.bloodcompany.net/skrillexep/skrillex.zip

Advertisement