Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You are not a f*cking DJ. You’re an overpaid, untalented, cake-throwing c*nt.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

jtsuited wrote: »
    Pink Floyd obsessive me.

Gonna go against the grain and say The Wall was their peak, DSOTM was a close second (and arguably the greatest album of all time conceptually speaking). Waters was Pink Floyd. Much as I love Dave Gilmour (I spent a large part of my youth learning all his solos), Waters was the driving force behind everything genius they did.

I think Syd Barret Pink Floyd was absolutely nothing on the later years, and had he gone on to become a post office worker with a minor drug history, the legend would never have been conceived.

Roger Waters does bring arrogance to brave new levels never seen before (and most likely will never been seen again). But I have absolutely no problem with that given his utter utter genius. There are very few people I put in the genius category in music - Stevie Wonder, Burt Bacharach, Thom Yorke and Roger Waters are probably the only ones I would have no qualms in using that word to describe them.

The brother in law would have much the same attitude in terms of The Wall and Roger Waters which sparked off the question and I have a complete blind spot when it comes to the two. I'm kind of scratching my head in terms of who I would actually call a genius at the moment (nursing a mild hangover so I'm not very excitable today). There's people that have had genius moments but anyone consistently genius? I don't know…

Stevie Wonder's Songs in the Key of Life. Amazing album, love it. I just called to say I love you, love not so much. I love the Beatles and they set the template for the notion of artistic growth in pop acts but still prone to some hubris. Although I still get knocked down everytime I hear Tomorrow Never Knows. Fugazi I absolutely loved and Repeater is damn near a perfect album for me but I gradually lost interest in them. Couldn't tell you why. Wilco two pretty deadly albums in Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and A Ghost is Born but I've never been inclined to explore beyond them. Kraftwerk, Underworld and Orbital all genius moments.

There is one person who I will call a genius actually. Mark E. Smith. The Fall. The Hex Enduction Hour and Grotesque are the two best albums ever created. Ever. In the World. Ever

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

yes....somebody on this forum likes yankee hotel foxtrot.
    loved that album.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭ianuss

Pictures like these don't help with the assertion that modern football is all a bit gay.......

http://dailysh1te.com/2010/11/accidental-fisting-so-thats-why-people-watch-soccer/

You'll have to change the 1 to an i to get the link to work.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

yes....somebody on this forum likes yankee hotel foxtrot.
    loved that album.

I must add Yankee Hotel Foxtrot to the want-list so - I have 'A Ghost is Born' and 'Being There' and love them both, prob lean a bit more towards the former though as my kids also love it - my son who is 3 next February is a massive fan of 'Spiders (Kidsmoke)' - he frequently asks for the 'Wilco' song which means that - its a real favourite in the car, both son and daughter sing/hum along to it.

francois wrote: »
    Handy for insurance purposes! Only pain is adding the records, have about 10% in but it is totting up nicely, though about 1 in 8 of my records aren't for sale, mainly the valuable ones!
    need to start contributing releases as well, though the process is a bit of a pain

Yeah its a slow process alright, I've been pretty good though adding for the last few years, just really need to spend some time going through my vinyl... I've contributed a few also but its seriously fckin annoying, getting errors back for capitalization, details missing etc! - I know it needs to be right but just bloody slow.

• Advertisement

I must add Yankee Hotel Foxtrot to the want-list so - I have 'A Ghost is Born' and 'Being There' and love them both, prob lean a bit more towards the former though as my kids also love it - my son who is 3 next February is a massive fan of 'Spiders (Kidsmoke)' - he frequently asks for the 'Wilco' song which means that - its a real favourite in the car, both son and daughter sing/hum along to it.

Your kids are getting some musical education - lucky mites! I was brought up listening to Randy Travis and Leo Sayer.

I must add Yankee Hotel Foxtrot to the want-list

One of the greatest ever opening songs imo:

Shivers down my spine...

old gregg wrote: »
    The album is done and dusted and released.

Our good friend Scubadevils will have an educated opinion on this one cos he has it.

I like this album a lot now, its really grown on me - I think Old Gregg as I said to you a couple of weeks ago, its basically what you'd expect if you were to cross David Gilmour era Pink Floyd with The Orb. Its one I can play in the kitchen without my wife bitchin, one I've played over meals with family over etc... also one I've played at 3am in a ball on the floor. A good all-rounder, a grower and definitely one I'd recommend if that sounds like your cups of tea.

Anyway, what are peoples thoughts on Digestives? I just had two with Nutella and a glass of red wine. Nutella as we'd run out of butter.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Shivers down my spine...

Fvcking Hell! The right click button on my mouse is fooked, it double clicks on everything, and I clicked that song. Didn't notice that it opened up another tab, and played the song in two tabs, one tab a few seconds behind the other.

I was like, "WTF are these guys into?!?!?" :D

Anyway, what are peoples thoughts on Digestives? I just had two with Nutella and a glass of red wine. Nutella as we'd run out of butter.

I used to love the two-toned chocolate spread - can't rememeber what it was called but I do remember tucking into it with a spoon and just shoveling the stuff into my mouth.

• Advertisement

Shivers down my spine...

Oh yes, that is absolutely being bought come pay day this week!!! Roll on Friday I tells ya!

Digestives and Butter. :) Now there's culinary combination made in heaven.

ianuss wrote: »
    I used to love the two-toned chocolate spread - can't rememeber what it was called but I do remember tucking into it with a spoon and just shoveling the stuff into my mouth.

We bought that a while back and the kids were not impressed - had to quickly revert to Nutella!

Bloody sugary though, I'm on a kinda sugar high now. And I broke my not drinking on a week night rule due to a sh1t day in work.

I'd say if biscuits were electronic music, Digestives would probably be either dub techno or something minimal.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I'd say if biscuits were electronic music, Digestives would probably be either dub techno or something minimal.

LOL! Brilliant, more, lets run with this, could be epic.

We bought that a while back and the kids were not impressed - had to quickly revert to Nutella!

Bloody sugary though, I'm on a kinda sugar high now. And I broke my not drinking on a week night rule due to a sh1t day in work.

Mikados are ambient

Foxes Classics would be deep house.

Mikados are ambient

Nah Mikados would be anything by Hed Kandi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stomprockin

figrolls would be dubstep.

Hob Nobs are most likely house.

Kimberly Mikado probably trance.

Coconut Creams, Acid house.

And in dispute of the ambient claim Mr 666 I put forward Rich Tea.

Hob Nobs are most likely house.

Kimberly Mikado probably trance.

Coconut Creams, Acid house.

And in dispute of the ambient claim Mr 666 I put forward Rich Tea.

Nah, if Digestives are dub techno, Rich Tea are minimal tech house. Trance is those Iced Rings that Fox's make.

• Advertisement

And before I hit the hay, I propose Fruit Shortcakes for Funky House as they are a bit gay.

Nah, if Digestives are dub techno, Rich Tea are minimal tech house. Trance is those Iced Rings that Fox's make.

Ok maybe I was a bit premature with Rich Tea but I think they require further thought. I now put forward those biscuits you get with coffee for ambient, can't think of the name right now but fondly referred to in my house as 'coffee biscuits'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jimi_t2

If you were to do ONE thing this week, may I recommend you this

http://www.kongregate.com/games/nutcasenightmare/the-game

If you can make it past that ice level place its well well worth it. Unbelievably funny in parts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Hang on, what did I miss. Biscuit = genre? I think jammy dodgers are electro-house tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

ianuss wrote: »
    Your kids are getting some musical education - lucky mites! I was brought up listening to Randy Travis and Leo Sayer.

Leo sayer got airings in my gaff also, but also a lot of dylan & cohen though, then my brother was buying records like madness, SLF, the kinks, the jam so wasnt all a loss on the music front.

Holy jaysus......Digestive, nutella & then red wine!!!!!! You must have polished off a couple of bottles before you decided on that combo.

Some black olives with strong mature cheese (no blue sh.it) & thinly sliced pork salami with nice italian merlot. Nom Nom No.......sorry just had to add that in:D

Are you sure its red wine your drinking & not absinthe!!

I have a bottle of absinthe at home, if i was under the influence i would be tempted to suggest that,

Salted crackers would be German hard trance:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

this biscuit genre thingy is gonna get mega ghey.

this biscuit genre thingy is gonna get mega ghey.

Typical irish begrudgery:D

Dell going up against the iPad. Looks nice and the flip element looks pretty cool. Be interesting to see what the spec is like.

Anyone interested in this can have it as i stuck my name on it first,

http://www.adverts.ie/331439/free-stuff/ticket-to-toys-4-big-boys-in-cork-this-weekend/

• Advertisement

Leo sayer got airings in my gaff also, but also a lot of dylan & cohen though, then my brother was buying records like madness, SLF, the kinks, the jam so wasnt all a loss on the music front.

Holy jaysus......Digestive, nutella & then red wine!!!!!! You must have polished off a couple of bottles before you decided on that combo.

Some black olives with strong mature cheese (no blue sh.it) & thinly sliced pork salami with nice italian merlot. Nom Nom No.......sorry just had to add that in:D

Are you sure its red wine your drinking & not absinthe!!

I have a bottle of absinthe at home, if i was under the influence i would be tempted to suggest that,

Salted crackers would be German hard trance:D

No I'm afraid we are living in a recessionary times, no fancy salami and Merlot in my gaf! Although great to see Faustino red going for 7 quid now!

Advertisement