Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You are not a f*cking DJ. You’re an overpaid, untalented, cake-throwing c*nt.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Zascar wrote: »
    Offs, this perpetual moaning about how crap Ireland is p1sses me off. Yes we have high unemployment and we're crazy in debt as a country, but for most people who still have the same job, things are not really all that bad. You may be a few quid out of pocket due to levies etc - but on the other side a lot of things are cheaper and better deals are to be had in the market etc. It's not like the recession of the past where people literally have trouble putting food on the table. It is horrible for anyone out of wrk who can't find a job but there are plenty of people who are on the scratcher but still have an acceptable standard of living in the grand scheme of things. I know plenty of people on the Dole and they seem to still be able to have a social life and enjoy themselves - its not like they are imprisoned by dire poverty.

People always seem to moan about Ireland - be it the horrible recession or even back in the midst of the Celtic Tiger years. If you don't like Ireland - Fcuking Leave!!! I have had several opportunities to take good jobs overseas, but Ireland is my home, I like it here, I have built my life and my friends here, and for the moment I'm happy to stay. I find you are a happier person if you try to ignore the media and all the doom and gloom and just get on with your own life.

of course you have a point but most have in some way have been directly affected by the recession some more than others, i found myself having to emigrate to find work,something that i didn't comprehend a few years ago as id done all that in the past, so your one of the lucky ones Zascar, i haven't just left for the sake of it nor have the thousands others young and old alike who have no chance of finding work,,you cant just ignore the doom and gloom when it's in your face every day on the news in the papers,etc, im old enough to remember the last recession and i think this time around it's worse, if some people on the dole have an acceptable standard of living then fair play to them they obviously have no family commitments or bills like some of us.

I don't mind it here in many ways it's exactly the same as Dublin, but i would be lying if i said i didn't miss my family and friends, so i would say yeah fair play man you've obviously not been affected by the recession but for those of us who have things are different.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

Lads, liking the positivity, it's looking good on you. Very slimming. They only worry I have is the amount of people who went out straight from school and became unskilled labourers on the sites - they are fooked - long term unemployed that will be a serious drain on the fecking resources and a major source of anti-social problems (They won't hang out with anyone!).
    That's why we need to close FAS and anything resembling it, and give them a kick in the direction of Dublin Port.
    It's doing nobody any favours them hanging round.

I was thinking they could incentivise it. If you're thinking about emigrating we'll give you your next 3 months dole in a lump sum, and a free airplane ticket, provided you don't come back in the next 5 years. And if you do you're entitled to nothing.

It would take a huge strain off our resources and many unfortunate no-hopers will be given a chance to emigrate with a little bit of starting money. Only problem is it would be wildly unpopular. And this is the fundamental problem of democracy. What's the most popular is not what is the most correct, especially when tough facts have to be faced.

jtsuited wrote: »
    http://jobs.ie/
    took a random gamble on putting the terms 'jobs' and '.ie' in the address bar and my God there are jobs there.
    I know a good few people who have got jobs over the past year. Yeah it's tougher and unemployment is relatively high, BUT to say there's little or no chance of getting a job in Dublin is just incorrect unless you're referring to jobs that require no education or specific skills.

no need to be smart:rolleyes:

before i came here i was out of work about 6 months, every day without fail i would apply for jobs,call poxy recruitment agencies and no joy, it's not as if im a trainee with no experience im vastly experienced in my field, i was even willing to take a big pay cut but nothing, so what do i do rot in Dublin on the dole or do something about it and move which is what i done and within a few weeks i was working, so there is little or no chance of getting a job in Dublin as i said,sure jobs in McDonalds are getting 500+ applications thesedays, says it all really!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭ianuss

I was thinking they could incentivise it. If you're thinking about emigrating we'll give you your next 3 months dole in a lump sum, and a free airplane ticket, provided you don't come back in the next 5 years. And if you do you're entitled to nothing.

Spain did that. A tonne of foreigners took up the scheme.

jonnny68 wrote: »
    you cant just ignore the doom and gloom when it's in your face every day on the news in the papers,etc,

see this is an interesting point. If you were to completely ignore the media, would you notice too much of a difference?

I see packed restaurants all the time. I've seen the Twisted Pepper absolutely jammed to the rafters regularly. I see my record shop doing a decent trade. If it weren't for a few mates who were in the property industry losing their jobs and becoming unemployed, I wouldn't see too much evidence of the doom and gloom.
    I do see a drop in numbers at certain gigs (a severe severe drop) but I don't really have too much an interest in them anyway. I see plenty of 2010 cars around, and if I'm ever unfortunate to be in Liffey Valley on a Saturday, the place is rammed full of people buying crap they don't need.

• Advertisement

That's why we need to close FAS and anything resembling it, and give them a kick in the direction of Dublin Port.
    It's doing nobody any favours them hanging round.

It would take a huge strain off our resources and many unfortunate no-hopers will be given a chance to emigrate with a little bit of starting money. Only problem is it would be wildly unpopular. And this is the fundamental problem of democracy. What's the most popular is not what is the most correct, especially when tough facts have to be faced.

what you've said is very grim but actually a great idea (not closing FAS though but giving people 3 months dole lump sum and a plane ticket)

no need to be smart:rolleyes:

before i came here i was out of work about 6 months, every day without fail i would apply for jobs,call poxy recruitment agencies and no joy, it's not as if im a trainee with no experience im vastly experienced in my field,
    did I say experience jonny?? No I said education and specific skills (you can read it again if you want to check). Everyone over the age of 35 in this country has experience in something. And because EVERYONE has it, it has no value. Simples.

did I say experience jonny?? No I said education and specific skills (you can read it again if you want to check). Everyone over the age of 35 in this country has experience in something. And because EVERYONE has it, it has no value. Simples.

I'm also educated and have specific skills:P

(not closing FAS though but giving people 3 months dole lump sum and a plane ticket)
    you know they're closing FAS right? They're already sneakily doing what I'm suggesting. The state sponsored skilling of the working classes did absolutely fcuk all for our economy except for get too many lads on sites with apprenticeships in their pockets, only to blow it by excessive borrowing.

It'll be interesting to see the FAS-substitute because if they have any sense they'll cop on and realise giving guys who didn't even go to secondary school a 'career' is a stupid idea.

I see plenty of 2010 cars around.

To be fair, that's thanks to the extremely generous scrappage scheme.

The recession has brought prices down to far more realistic and affordable levels. Particularly for luxury/discretionary items. This is certainly the case for golf clubs & green fees. You can play on courses now for next to nothing - whereas before you had little chance of getting out for less than €100 on some of the better courses.

• Advertisement

And on a completely different note :D i just checked my inbox and an email saying http://www.cobrabeer.com/nationalcurryweek/

love a good ruby myself with a bottle of Cobra my fav beer so will be looking our for places participating in this :cool:

I'm also educated and have specific skills:P

2.1, 2.2 or pass degree. Or a first?

Done a few years studying IT but never got to finish the degree,that was years ago so doubt ill bother going back to finish it now.

It's a masters you want these days, not a degree. The amount of people out there with utterly useless qualifications.........it's actually sad for those who went in to college with such high hopes only to come out with crushed dreams.

ianuss wrote: »
    To be fair, that's thanks to the extremely generous scrappage scheme.

The recession has brought prices down to far more realistic and affordable levels. Particularly for luxury/discretionary items. This is certainly the case for golf clubs & green fees. You can play on courses now for next to nothing - whereas before you had little chance of getting out for less than €100 on some of the better courses.

yeah but sure this is my point. there are real world adaptations going on. Coincidentally got out for a round with my dad the week before last. They charged me a fiver for what used to cost (in 2003 i think), 24 euro.

Btw, if you wanna save an absolute shedload of money,

1. Learn to cook. Properly cook. Fancy sh1t. I've only been learning this recently and it's unbelievable how cheap you can get pretty much everything for in Aldi. Don't get me wrong it's nice to eat somewhere nice, but knowing you're gonna have a whopper dinner every evening for only a couple of euro is deadly for not worrying about money.

2. Roll your own cigarettes. If you know someone coming back from the continent, get them to buy you as much tobacco as is legally allowed and your weekly cost of smoking will be under 4 euro.

3. Get an espresso machine. If you buy just one coffee for say 3 euro a day, every month you're gonna be saving 60 euro plus per month.

Done a few years studying IT but never got to finish the degree

does not equal 'educated' in the eyes of any employer (or have I completely lost touch with reality? correct me if I'm wrong).

And as Ianuss says, masters is the least you gotta have these days.

It's a masters you want these days, not a degree. The amount of people out there with utterly useless qualifications.........it's actually sad for those who went in to college with such high hopes only to come out with crushed dreams.

spot on, at this moment in time you can have qualifications coming out of your ears it aint gonna make any difference,unfortunately it's either the dole queue or emigrate:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

Btw, if you wanna save an absolute shedload of money,

1. Learn to cook. Properly cook. Fancy sh1t. I've only been learning this recently and it's unbelievable how cheap you can get pretty much everything for in Aldi. Don't get me wrong it's nice to eat somewhere nice, but knowing you're gonna have a whopper dinner every evening for only a couple of euro is deadly for not worrying about money.

2. Roll your own cigarettes. If you know someone coming back from the continent, get them to buy you as much tobacco as is legally allowed and your weekly cost of smoking will be under 4 euro.

3. Get an espresso machine. If you buy just one coffee for say 3 euro a day, every month you're gonna be saving 60 euro plus per month.

You'll have saved a shedload of money but you'll also be a garlicky smelling, jittery bastard with yellow fingers and no teeth. Let the good times roll!

strange thing is, there is far too little focus in the colleges on the quality of degree.
    I've had only casual experience with getting a 'real' full time job, but in that limited experience, I learnt that things like firsts in university degrees and masters bloody count.

does not equal 'educated' in the eyes of any employer (or have I completely lost touch with reality? correct me if I'm wrong).

And as Ianuss says, masters is the least you gotta have these days.

well if i was to go for an IT job (not now but back then) im sure it would've been important for an employer to see this, i wanted to work in IT years ago but ended up doing something else,long story.

• Advertisement

You'll have saved a shedload of money but you'll also be a garlicky smelling, jittery bastard with yellow fingers and no teeth. Let the good times roll!

haha, the stench of fresh garlic doesn't go away too easily i'll admit. And it seems you have to use it in everything remotely Italian. And it's got to be either freshly chopped or pressed. Which means your hands wreak of the stuff.

well if i was to go for an IT job (not now but back then) im sure it would've been important for an employer to see this, i wanted to work in IT years ago but ended up doing something else,long story.

yes but nowadays, if an IT employer wants to get someone he has a choice of thousands of IT graduates. People who did a few years of IT but didn't finish are automatically gonna be weeded out on the first narrowing down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Come come now jt - you're not a degree snob are you? :)

A BA degree, most of the time, is hardly specific training to a career. Hardly anyone I know who's done a degree straight from school is working in the field they did their degree in.

I started working full time at 19, after having done a PLC in sound engineering and then completed first year in a Computer Science degree. When the people in my course finished their degrees - I had 3 years experience headstart on them, a few night courses in specific skills related to the job, and then the industry went into meltdown after the dot com bubble burst. Some ended up working in Tesco after finishing the degree, I kid you not. Damn glad I made that career choice to park a degree that was essentially a piece of paper, it wasn't career training.

On the whole negativity / positivity thing, it's so hard not to get sucked into it. I was chatting to a Finnish woman I work with today, she's just back from being home for the weekend - she said it was hard work to come back. She's married here with kids, and has built her life here for now - so she's going nowhere soon - but she said it was such a breath of fresh air being back there and seeing how positive people were in comparison. There's much more of a 'getting on with things' approach, albeit it's a more rigid economy so couldn't possible fluctuate as much as ours has done, but the general sense she has it that Ireland at the moment is wrapped up in negativity, and I'd agree.

She also said we as a country are a bit of a laughing stock, like a young child who was playing with our toys in the corner, but the big brother has to step in now to clean up the mess...

strange thing is, there is far too little focus in the colleges on the quality of degree.
    I've had only casual experience with getting a 'real' full time job, but in that limited experience, I learnt that things like firsts in university degrees and masters bloody count.

You're dead right there. Hadn't actually thought of it 'til you mentioned it, but ye, it is really odd. It should really be hammered in to you from day 1 that grades seriously matter out in the 'real world'. Maybe universities are more concerned with producing well-rounded individuals?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Sorry but for the most part your mark in your degree means fuk all. Also in a lot of instances, things like Masters etc are almost unnecessary, having practical experience beats the pants off qualifications. I know several people who are my age (30) and have literally spent the last 10 years in college doing multiple degrees, masters etc - can now are totally unable to get a job as they have no actual working experience.

I got a fairly crappy degree in a college, and went out straight away after 3 years, got a job in a big company and worked my ass off, climbing up the ladder from the bottom, changed to another bigger company and did the same - while others I went to school with took gap years and travelled the world several times, went back to college to piss about for another few years. Now they are 30 and have no actual 'career' - and wondering what the fuk happened to them. Maybe I was lucky that my parents give me good advice and a proper work ethic, others were not so lucky to have the same, but as jeff said, so many took what looks to be the easier option that was great for a while, now they are all fooked and they can piss off if they try to blame everyone but themselves.

rant over. what happened to my positivity?? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

Well at the moment, its a combination of education and experience that you need.

Experience with no education is as useless as education with no experience at the moment. I don't think (could be wrong) that a masters is necessarily going to give you the edge you think it will. The problem with people walking out with degrees right now is their complete lack of communication skills and general cop-on. Seriously, a decent standard of English and grammar should be a bloody pre-requisite in college these days and should be actively taught. Also every degree should have some sort of a career focus dealing with employment law, setting up your own business and the like.

joker77 wrote: »
    Come come now jt - you're not a degree snob are you? :)

A BA degree, most of the time, is hardly specific training to a career. Hardly anyone I know who's done a degree straight from school is working in the field they did their degree in.

Absolutely, however for certain jobs, a BA is often required because it can mean 'well-rounded general aptitude, can probably apply critical thinking and knows how to write a well referenced and logical argument'.

Obviously in specific technical areas and science, the degree doesn't matter where it comes from, you either know the required stuff or you don't.

It's different across the board, but to take extreme examples a first class honours BA from a National University is gonna be a lot more valuable than a 'degree' in psychology from Dublin Business School.

Sorry but for the most part your mark in your degree means fuk all. Also in a lot of instances, things like Masters etc are almost unnecessary, having practical experience beats the pants off qualifications.

I dunno about that man, I think it's industry specific and as such varies greatly. I can tell you that without good grades you will seriously struggle to get into a top accountancy firm.

Sorry but for the most part your mark in your degree means fuk all. Also in a lot of instances, things like Masters etc are almost unnecessary, having practical experience beats the pants off qualifications. I know several people who are my age (30) and have literally spent the last 10 years in college doing multiple degrees, masters etc - can now are totally unable to get a job as they have no actual working experience.

I got a fairly crappy degree in a college, and went out straight away after 3 years, got a job in a big company and worked my ass off, climbing up the ladder from the bottom, changed to another bigger company and did the same - while others I went to school with took gap years and travelled the world several times, went back to college to piss about for another few years. Now they are 30 and have no actual 'career' - and wondering what the fuk happened to them. Maybe I was lucky that my parents give me good advice and a proper work ethic, others were not so lucky to have the same, but as jeff said, so many took what looks to be the easier option that was great for a while, now they are all fooked and they can piss off if they try to blame everyone but themselves.

to be fair colly, you're in IT yeah? In that world what you say is completely true.

• Advertisement

Also every degree should have some sort of a career focus dealing with employment law, setting up your own business and the like.

Not sure I agree with that. Even Arts? English literature etc.?

Advertisement