Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You are not a f*cking DJ. You’re an overpaid, untalented, cake-throwing c*nt.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

Well at the moment, its a combination of education and experience that you need.

Experience with no education is as useless as education with no experience at the moment. I don't think (could be wrong) that a masters is necessarily going to give you the edge you think it will. The problem with people walking out with degrees right now is their complete lack of communication skills and general cop-on. Seriously, a decent standard of English and grammar should be a bloody pre-requisite in college these days and should be actively taught. Also every degree should have some sort of a career focus dealing with employment law, setting up your own business and the like.

See this is where we get into the University as education vs. training thing.

And btw, I think standards are absolutely ridiculously low in Irish Universities. The amount of people I saw walk out as ignorant as the day they walked in is ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

joker77 wrote: »
    On the whole negativity / positivity thing, it's so hard not to get sucked into it. I was chatting to a Finnish woman I work with today, she's just back from being home for the weekend - she said it was hard work to come back. She's married here with kids, and has built her life here for now - so she's going nowhere soon - but she said it was such a breath of fresh air being back there and seeing how positive people were in comparison. There's much more of a 'getting on with things' approach, albeit it's a more rigid economy so couldn't possible fluctuate as much as ours has done, but the general sense she has it that Ireland at the moment is wrapped up in negativity, and I'd agree.

She also said we as a country are a bit of a laughing stock, like a young child who was playing with our toys in the corner, but the big brother has to step in now to clean up the mess...

Bit weird coming from someone Finnish considering they suffered a recession very similar to our one back at the beginning of the 1990s

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

yea points taken - if you're in science, law, accountancy, medical etc - a degree is definitely a requirement.

IT it isn't, 99% of the time (Google being the exception)

Depends on the industry

Bit weird coming from someone Finnish considering they suffered a recession very similar to our one back at the beginning of the 1990s

And it was ONE very specific area of industry that completely saved them (mobile telecommunications).

ianuss wrote: »
    Not sure I agree with that. Even Arts? English literature etc.?

Aye, the chances are your not going to be working in an area related to what you studied in an Arts degree, I think it would be beneficial to have some business skills training.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭ianuss

I don't think (could be wrong) that a masters is necessarily going to give you the edge you think it will.

Again, it depends on the industry I imagine. But if you're competing with well educated people for skilled work, you're CV is far more likely to end up in the 'keep' pile if you have a masters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

She also said we as a country are a bit of a laughing stock, like a young child who was playing with our toys in the corner, but the big brother has to step in now to clean up the mess...

Although im too young to remember the 'pre-boom' times, wasnt it always the case that Ireland was something of a laughing stock on the international stage.

I remember a joke I first came across about 4 or 5 years ago which was something to the tune of:

'Ireland is a country which has modernised only recently, and is currently behaving like a toilet attendant who recently won the lottery'

Now we're more like the village alcoholic who blew his local GAA club lottery winnings in a week.

jtsuited wrote: »
    And it was ONE very specific area of industry that completely saved them (mobile telecommunications).

Was Nokia the flagship industry for Finland, or just for the telecommunications industry? I cant think of any other Finnish telecommunications companies.

Aye, the chances are your not going to be working in an area related to what you studied in an Arts degree, I think it would be beneficial to have some business skills training.

By that logic there should be cooking classes in every course.

yea points taken - if you're in science, law, accountancy, medical etc - a degree is definitely a requirement.

IT it isn't, 99% of the time (Google being the exception)

Speaking of which, I know a handful of serious brains in there, with fancy shmancy arts degrees (which to many of you IT heads would seem like complete bullsh1t), who are making crazy money.

Because technology moves so fast, often getting the brightest people who mightn't have a clue about the area is the best option because they'll be the quickest learners.
    Specific trades become redundant and obsolete, so companies like Google for a completely different approach with applicants. And well, the figures don't lie, they must be doing something right!

• Advertisement

See this is where we get into the University as education vs. training thing.

And btw, I think standards are absolutely ridiculously low in Irish Universities. The amount of people I saw walk out as ignorant as the day they walked in is ridiculous.

Yeah, we've talked about this before but I'm sure it's possible to have some combination of both.

The thing is the standard of degrees is starting to come under major scrutiny from businesses who have despaired of hiring people based on their degrees who are total planks. That's why I think some sort of skills training should be wrapped up in your degree.

Was Nokia the flagship industry for Finland, or just for the telecommunications industry? I cant think of any other Finnish telecommunications companies.

Yeah that's the one. I used a fancy term because I couldn't remember if it was Ericsson or Nokia.

Yeah that's the one. I used a fancy term because I couldn't remember if it was Ericsson or Nokia.
    So one single company was so critical to the economic prosperity of a whole country?

Again, it depends on the industry I imagine. But if you're competing with well educated people for skilled work, you're CV is far more likely to end up in the 'keep' pile if you have a masters.

But if it's between somebody with a degree and one year's experience and somebody with a masters I think people would tend to go with the former unless that masters is very specifically beneficial to the business.

Yeah, we've talked about this before but I'm sure it's possible to have some combination of both.

The thing is the standard of degrees is starting to come under major scrutiny from businesses who have despaired of hiring people based on their degrees who are total planks. That's why I think some sort of skills training should be wrapped up in your degree.

to be honest, a plank is a plank, no matter what training or education they have. The simple problem is that sooooo many planks went to university and got average degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

You can't have an economy where tradesmen can buy second investment properties. It just doesn't work. They'll either be undercut by economic migrants who'll do the same job twice as fast for half the price, or else there's a bubble about to burst in a major way.
    I remember reading a few years ago that the average Bricky was earning more than a Doctor! Now that's when an economy is gone mad.

jonnny68 wrote: »
    im old enough to remember the last recession and i think this time around it's worse,
    I'm sorry but that's just plain wrong.

That's why we need to close FAS and anything resembling it, and give them a kick in the direction of Dublin Port.
    It's doing nobody any favours them hanging round.
    In fairness though, parts of FÁS do actually have a use and work well.

By that logic there should be cooking classes in every course.

Why, do you know many offices you have to cook in? I know my boss looks for me to make crêpes occasionally but I don't it happens anywhere else…

But if it's between somebody with a degree and one year's experience and somebody with a masters I think people would tend to go with the former unless that masters is very specifically beneficial to the business.

well not necessarily. Depends on the area. Someone might have done a brilliant masters thesis that all the experience in the world won't equal in terms of value to the company.

If the degree is a first or 2.1 ye maybe. Anything less and there's no competition IMO.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    In fairness though, parts of FÁS do actually have a use and work well.

ok, i'm gonna admit ignorance on this one, because the only time I've ever heard the term FAS it's been in the context of some yobbo telling me 'I'm doing a college course out in Fas three days a week. I'm gonna be ballin with all me extra benjamins after. you lookin for yokes?'

• Advertisement

Why, do you know many offices you have to cook in? I know my boss looks for me to make crêpes occasionally but I don't it happens anywhere else…

How many people in the bazillion administrative roles out there need any business acumen?

well not necessarily. Depends on the area. Someone might have done a brilliant masters thesis that all the experience in the world won't equal in terms of value to the company.

Which I said in my original post:

I think people would tend to go with the former unless that masters is very specifically beneficial to the business.

also if you got a good first in your degree, you'd be a bit mad not to use your academic skills to hang around for another year and get a masters.
    Especially considering that if you get a good enough degree, most universities will pay for your masters and make you very welcome indeed.

If the degree is a first or 2.1 ye maybe. Anything less and there's no competition IMO.

Is this based on what you hope is true or what you know to be true?

ok, i'm gonna admit ignorance on this one, because the only time I've ever heard the term FAS it's been in the context of some yobbo telling me 'I'm doing a college course out in Fas three days a week. I'm gonna be ballin with all me extra benjamins after. you lookin for yokes?'

It's better giving the lower echelons of society something to do, rather than have them at nothing. Its not like they're being paid more than they deserve (unlike the thousands of useless public servants). Lads doing apprenticeships get damn all from FAS, and their pay is at the discretion of their employers - or mentors.

Is this based on what you hope is true or what you know to be true?

From what I've learned from talking to people. I'm not doing a masters or a degree so whether it's the case or not really doesn't affect me.

Which I said in my original post:

I think people would tend to go with the former unless that masters is very specifically beneficial to the business.

hmmm...well if you were say an evolutionary biologist and you did some amazing work in that field that explained some vital conundrum about something that nobody else could figure out, I'd say you'd be very very beneficial to pretty much any business, provided you're not an idiot-savant.

How many people in the bazillion administrative roles out there need any business acumen?

I don't know how much business acumen they need but they definitely need good communication skills and a decent grasp of the English language which is what I espoused in my original post. I also think a basic grasp of employment law would be of benefit to anyone working for someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

For those on twitter - http://twitter.com/IMF_IRELAND

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

yes but nowadays, if an IT employer wants to get someone he has a choice of thousands of IT graduates. People who did a few years of IT but didn't finish are automatically gonna be weeded out on the first narrowing down.

yes that's true but i wouldn't be going for any type of IT job nowadays,if the truth be known it's that long since ive studied IT i cant remember half the stuff i done:o:D

Advertisement