Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You are not a f*cking DJ. You’re an overpaid, untalented, cake-throwing c*nt.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Hmmmm.....this seems to be a post anything thread so thought I'd post this. Gave me a laugh anyway:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

This is pretty funny, and spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Diego Smartly

Yes!!! Finally somebody else that's seen it! I fooking love that show. So many classics but one of my favourites has to be when Dennis and Dee go on welfare - absolute classic. Everyone here has to watch it - absolute classic.

Ah its a brilliant show. I'd never be able to stick with which episode is my favourite. The one though where they're posing as police men and Charlie's doing Serpico; when he's in the police station tryna give your one the tape gets me everytime. Or the one where Charlie and Mac fake their death and they're in the pawn shop looking to buy a gun and Mac wants the wedding dress.

Ah I could go all day!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Zascar wrote: »
    Android you F**KER I just googled Goatsie

I had a laff at this:

IMG_20101121_160639.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stomprockin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

My head for heights wouldn't be too bad but I got to admit that gave me the willies a bit…

When he keeps looking down you keep expecting him to put a hand wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

They must be paid a fortune to do that job.

that gave me an uneasy feeling in my stomach watching that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stomprockin

My head for heights wouldn't be too bad but I got to admit that gave me the willies a bit…

When he keeps looking down you keep expecting him to put a hand wrong

I wonder how many times they got to the top and forgot a spanner or a flat head screwdriver :D

I wonder how many times they got to the top and forgot a spanner or a flat head screwdriver :D

Once?

Can't imagine you'd make that mistake twice.

My sister is looking for a small laptop(shes a teenager) but i dont want her to get something thatll be slow and obselete in a year.

whats the basic specs i should be looking at to future proof it for a bit

also if anyone can recommend any

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=907

I'm sure people in the computer can be of assistance ;)

jonnny68 wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=907

I'm sure people in the computer can be of assistance ;)
    ah i know but its just a quick question,thought somebody on here could answer it

I think anything over 3GB RAM and probably 250GB HD would be grand for day to day use and keep her going for a couple of years.

Waaaay too many varieties out there to be able to recommend a particular one.

The Intel "i" series processors are the latest product line (I don't know how current AMD variants compare). So an i3 processor would be the most basic, i5 next step up etc. Processor speeds took a bit of a step back with the i's so a previous model's 2.2GHz processor might have been replaced by a 2.0GHz i3. Likelihood is, you would barely be able to measure the difference. Just don't let the sales guy in Currys convince you that the older stock he's trying to get shot of is better than the new one he has less of a margin on.

Memory-wise, you want at least 3, preferably 4 gigs of RAM. 250GB hard disk should be plenty.

Windows 7 should probably be the only option available off the shelf.

Screen size is down to preference. 13" for portability, 17" for desktop use at home or ~15" as a compromise.

Brand-wise? Could be a gamble. Toshiba have a good record for reliability, as do Sony. HP generally have good specs. Dell are usually cheap enough. Really depends a lot on how it's treated and how much it's going to be on the move. She could trash a good laptop by dragging it around town powered up, or get years out of a cheap one if it's going to be sitting on her desk in her bedroom.

Compare the specs and the reputations and decide if you're paying for a good laptop or a massive marketing budget. I've a Toshiba but I'd love a Mac (thereby ruining my marketing point).

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

You won't go far wrong if you buy one of the special deals from Dell. I used to work there - and the Christmas bundles are often sold below cost.
    http://ireland.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/specials/deals_1?c=ie&cs=iedhs1&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=mn

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭dubsbhoy

I'd say its hard to buy a bad laptop or desktop these days, most of the very basics have specs perfect for people that are just browsing around the interweb, i'd say even 2mb memory will do her and i ain't seeing too many selling under that

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

dubsbhoy wrote: »
    I'd say its hard to buy a bad laptop or desktop these days, most of the very basics have specs perfect for people that are just browsing around the interweb, i'd say even 2mb memory will do her and i ain't seeing too many selling under that

Not really, they still sell eMachines in bricks and mortar stores.

Dell arent necessarily the best choice.

Minimum 3GB DDR3 or 4GBDDR2, i3/AMD tricore, not intel GMA graphics, 350GB 7200 Drive, screen higher than 1366 would be nice.

Dont buy HP, check out Toshiba's satellites and whatever Samsungs are in your price range. Keep an eye on battery size.

I got to say I'm getting really disheartened with the amount of people posting that Jim Corr video up on their facebook pages. FFS people, don't blame a shadowy cabal of international bankers for our predicament, blame the gombeen politics we allowed to flourish in this country. Imagine we live in a land where Jackie Healy Rae and Michael Lowry hold the balance of power.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭SteveDon

Just posted this in the computer section but since its on topic here.

Im buying a laptop tomorrow, got about 1200 to spend, heres what caught my eye today in the computer shop.

Its a choice between a Macbook Pro or a Sony Vaio. Both around the same price, but here are the specs.

Macbook:

13" screen
    4GB Ram
    250GB HD
    Intel Dual Core Processor

Vaio:

17" Screen
    6GB Ram
    500gb HD
    Intel i5 processor.

Gonna be using this laptop at home for music production

Im a big fan of windows and reluctant to make the switch to mac, Ive actually been using a sony vaio for the past 4/5 years wit very few hiccups (although it is not to be trusted for live performances)

What do you guys reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

SteveDon wrote: »

Im buying a laptop tomorrow, got about 1200 to spend, heres what caught my eye today in the computer shop.

Its a choice between a Macbook Pro or a Sony Vaio. Both around the same price, but here are the specs.

Macbook:

13" screen
    4GB Ram
    250GB HD

Vaio:

17" Screen
    6GB Ram
    500gb HD
    Intel i5 processor.

Im a big fan of windows and reluctant to make the switch to mac, Ive actually been using a sony vaio for the past 4/5 years wit very few hiccups (although it is not to be trusted for live performances)

What do you guys reckon?
    Only thing I'll say is that Vaio are overpriced. Better windows machines out there for the money (won't get into the mac vs windows debate)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

Macbook:

13" screen
    4GB Ram
    250GB HD

Vaio:

17" Screen
    6GB Ram
    500gb HD
    Intel i5 processor.

What do you guys reckon?

Macbook Pro without a shadow of a doubt.....not even close. For music production, nothing even comes close. And, should you decide to rewire maschine into a DAW, you'll be able to use Logic. Steve, steve, steve, get the mbp!!! you can run windows on it if you really can't get into mac OSX (which I severely doubt will happen).

Right heres my problem.

Im aware that Macs are very realiable and are great for music production. But im not so sure that windows computer cant be aswell?

Because

It seems like everyone that has a Mac, when buying one automatically sells their soul to apple products,

convincing other people to buy apple products and having somewhat of a militant brand loyalty which i actually find quite frightening, it seems to me that the saavy marketing of apple products is what draws in people more than the quality of realability aspect

this is what has made me reluctant to do business with apple, and that im really a windows nerd at heart

basically if/when i buy a macbook do i automatically end up in pygmallion everynight of the week wearing a frock with a gameboy round my neck and some sort of sailor hat? or is it just coincidence that these things happen

Right heres my problem.

Im aware that Macs are very realiable and are great for music production. But im not so sure that windows computer cant be aswell?

Because

It seems like everyone that has a Mac, when buying one automatically sells their soul to apple products,

convincing other people to buy apple products and having somewhat of a militant brand loyalty which i actually find quite frightening, it seems to me that the saavy marketing of apple products is what draws in people more than the quality of realability aspect

this is what has made me reluctant to do business with apple, and that im really a windows nerd at heart

basically if/when i buy a macbook do i automatically end up in pygmallion everynight of the week wearing a frock with a gameboy round my neck and some sort of sailor hat? or is it just coincidence that these things happen

ok i'm uncool by any standards ever set, so I'll give you the actual reason you should get a mac. CoreAudio. No need for drivers for any hardware you ever plug in (more or less).
    apple made their name making computers for music production and design etc. (before the ipod explosion).
    and they're still miles out in front when it comes to these things.

jtsuited wrote: »
    apple made their name making computers for music production and design etc.

I thought they made their name making computers for people with black turtlenecks.

ok i'm uncool by any standards ever set, so I'll give you the actual reason you should get a mac. CoreAudio. No need for drivers for any hardware you ever plug in (more or less).
    apple made their name making computers for music production and design etc. (before the ipod explosion).
    and they're still miles out in front when it comes to these things.

What kind of macbook do you have jeff? I am interested in using logic and possibly some more vsts and such, are you still giving lessons in Logic?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

dubsbhoy wrote: »
    i'd say even 2mb memory will do her
    Heh, even the 386 PC my parents bought in 1991 came with more memory than that. I'd say these days you might need a bit more :pac:.

Right heres my problem.

Because

Im certainly not a fanboy but my macbookpro has been going strong for at least 4 years now.

Ive had windows machines before and can really appreciate the hassle free approach when connecting anything to a mac.
    I understand you know how to run windows efficently but buying a mac doesnt automatically make you a brainwashed fanboy.

My missus isnt too handy with computers and she went from pcs to my mac and then was using a pc in work.she really appreciates the simplicity of the mac os.

also as jeff said you get the opportunity to use logic.Personally i think this is a huge huge advantage.

I know when i upgrade i can justify the price of a mac(especially the desktops).

If you do go the pc route id steer clear of sonys.they seem to be more style over substance(cue the calls of "thats all macs are")

Also you can get those specs on the vaio for alot cheaper on another brand of laptop

What kind of macbook do you have jeff? I am interested in using logic and possibly some more vsts and such, are you still giving lessons in Logic?

just the standard old macbook pro with 4gb ram and a 2.4ghz processor.
    yeah still givin logic lessons.

• Advertisement

just the standard old macbook pro with 4gb ram and a 2.4ghz processor.
    yeah still givin logic lessons.

Man, your logic and reasoning is pretty skewed. Should you really be giving lessons in it?

Advertisement