Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You are not a f*cking DJ. You’re an overpaid, untalented, cake-throwing c*nt.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

seannash wrote: »
    Theres a few female candidates up my way but they all seem to be pushing a very oldskool sinn fein agenda.
    One listed Bobby Sands as her hero in the local paper which was a bit retarded imo

She loved his diet tps I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

She loved his diet tps I reckon.

haha, bad taste doesn't even begin to describe that post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Ha ha ha, jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

jtsuited wrote: »
    Why?? There are absolutely no barriers to women getting into politics. It is against the law to have any such barriers.
    This quota system is ludicrous. And patronising in the extreme. The fact that our female representation is on a par with sub-saharan africa says more about the women of Ireland than it does about any political system.

So it's women's own fault they end up being paid less than men and it's women's own fault that the upper echelons of the Civil Service and most companies are primarily men?

No barriers my arse. Maybe not obvious ones like the marriage bar, but as it stands, women in power is still not the norm. People jump at pointing out the ways Ireland is backward, but when it comes to women's rights it seems like people think its an old agenda.

So your argument is that Irish women are just politically apathetic?

So it's women's own fault they end up being paid less than men and it's women's own fault that the upper echelons of the Civil Service and most companies are primarily men?
    Yes.
    No barriers my arse. Maybe not obvious ones like the marriage bar, but as it stands, women in power is still not the norm. People jump at pointing out the ways Ireland is backward, but when it comes to women's rights it seems like people think its an old agenda.

So your argument is that Irish women are just politically apathetic?
    Proportionately speaking, Yes. There are plenty of female politicians who are there solely because of tokenism.

And I'm a feminist. So let the can of worms be opened!

• Advertisement

I'm with Jeff on this one.

Genre quotas are ****ing ridiculous. This is how I see it.

This generation has few women in high places.

The women in this generation went through an education system that was very discriminative. It's fair enough to assume that the men of that generation were better educated. The fault of a sexist system, but it's true all the same. Wait until the generation of younger people now get through the educaiton system, which is now more or less equal for men and women, and the workplaces will be equal.

tbh I actually think affirmative action in the US regarding ethnic minorities has some merit compared to gender quotas.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

tbh I actually think affirmative action in the US regarding ethnic minorities has some merit compared to gender quotas.
    No it doesn't. It just as bad

Oh, and how are you a feminist? Apart from having a 5 o'clock shadow

I'm with Jeff on this one.

Genre quotas are ****ing ridiculous. This is how I see it.

This generation has few women in high places.

The women in this generation went through an education system that was very discriminative. It's fair enough to assume that the men of that generation were better educated. The fault of a sexist system, but it's true all the same. Wait until the generation of younger people now get through the educaiton system, which is now more or less equal for men and women, and the workplaces will be equal.

That would be the assumption but wait until women hit their thirties and have kids. Career breaks and reduced hours stall a lot of women's climb up the corporate ladder and do you know what? That's in the main what they choose to do, its not enforced on them. Olwyn Enright is a classic example of someone choosing children over her political career. Should she be frowned upon for doing it? No, because it is her personal choice. The whole thing is about freedom of choice. Women can have all the same careers if they want to have them, the thing is they also have the freedom to say they don't want them either. What's the problem there?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Olwyn Enright is a classic example of someone choosing children over her political career.
    In fairness, some men do too.

child_pa_747424t.jpg

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote: »
    No it doesn't. It just as bad

no, it's not. and here's why....
    affirmative action in an ethnicity context is an attempt to fix a much larger problem in the US of socioeconomic background being highly related to race.

now that problem would be fine if weren't for the fact that most of the black population's ancestors were brought there against their will and into slavery. They are not there by choice fundamentally.

The overall problems that the class/race dynamic cause in the US are so significant that the affirmative action is justified.

Over here, women do better than men in the Leaving Cert and the actual problem is not getting a job if you're a woman, it's moving up in command once you have that job.

That's a colossally different situation from the US regarding affirmative action.

Secondly, I'm a feminist because I firmly believe in the advocacy of women's rights on the grounds of social, political and economic equality to men.

Having a quota system as put forward by O Toole is completely at odds in believing that women should be equal in society and that gender should not come into it whatsoever.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    In fairness, some men do too.

child_pa_747424t.jpg

**** you Deputy Bazmo, **** you.

one of the greatest websites ever made. still funny as hell after all these years.

one of the greatest websites ever made. still funny as hell after all these years.

[FONT=Courier New, Courier, mono][SIZE=-1]I love Johnny cause whenever he's looking for some weed, he knows that I'm the go-to guy. Even though I live in the burbs and spend all my time at the office, Johnny knows I keep my finger on the pulse of the drug-trafficking community.

[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New, Courier, mono][SIZE=-1]Sally and Johnny always ask me how the entire black community feels about certain topics. I really respect this about them because I am black and therfore obviously know how all blacks feel about everything![/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Courier New, Courier, mono][SIZE=-1]After saying a multisyllabic word such as "understand," Johnny will often follow it with a translation for my benefit like "Dig?" I am glad that he makes his big words accessible to me.[/SIZE][/FONT]

no, it's not. and here's why....
    affirmative action in an ethnicity context is an attempt to fix a much larger problem in the US of socioeconomic background being highly related to race.

Affirmative action is a sticking plaster that is attempting to cover up a societal ill but failing miserably. It's not exactly popular on either side. White people think black people are getting jobs unfairly and black people resent the idea that they only got the job based on the colour of their skin. Whatever about scholarships in schools and colleges, I think affirmative action can be on dodgy ground in the workplace.

Affirmative action is a sticking plaster that is attempting to cover up a societal ill but failing miserably. It's not exactly popular on either side. White people think black people are getting jobs unfairly and black people resent the idea that they only got the job based on the colour of their skin. Whatever about scholarships in schools and colleges, I think affirmative action can be on dodgy ground in the workplace.

yeah fundamentally i disagree with affirmative action because of what you've said, BUT my point was that it at least has more merit than trying to give political parties gender quotas.

I love Johnny cause whenever he's looking for some weed, he knows that I'm the go-to guy. Even though I live in the burbs and spend all my time at the office, Johnny knows I keep my finger on the pulse of the drug-trafficking community.

Read this before looking at the link and thought you were talking about your relationship with Johnny68.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Read this before looking at the link and thought you were talking about your relationship with Johnny68.
    same here

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

m.d.m.a.

:eek:

That is all.

• Advertisement

m.d.m.a.

:eek:

That is all.

The new song by the Village People? It's a bit sh!t isn't it...

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

The new song by the Village People? It's a bit sh!t isn't it...

Its a bit fluffy alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭ianuss

Nice little anti-Euro rant from a Euro-hating Brit

On a forum full of lads there's no way I can win the women's rights debate. I would argue for a shared maternity/paternity leave so that its not automatic that the woman stays at home. Its also easier for women to go part time etc. because it's assumed that it's more "natural". Surveys and interviews done by Kathleen Lynch showed that men think that they wouldn't be able to get part time based on the fact that they've become a parent. I don't agree with quotas, but I do think that some of the suggestions put forward by the NWCI in 2002 should be looked at to make politics a more accessible job. Personally I'd love to get into politics but I'd be discouraged because I honestly think that if me and an identical male candidate went up against each other that I would lose...That and I've a less than glowing past :rolleyes:

Black people in America are disadvantaged because their families, neighbourhoods and social circles are less conducive to education, basically they aren't encouraged. So, if you use positive discrimination to compensate for that then you could argue that Asian people, who are extremely study orientated are getting an unfair advantage :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Wait, does this mean we have a female on the forum? :pac:

Guilty as charged. I'll make a few sandwiches on my way out.

zascar our resident sexual predator will soon pm you with lots of interesting ideas!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Nah I'm good with the Sandwiches!

On a forum full of lads there's no way I can win the women's rights debate.
    yes because forums full of lads tend to rely on observation, reason and logic in making a point.
    Black people in America are disadvantaged because their families, neighbourhoods and social circles are less conducive to education, basically they aren't encouraged. So, if you use positive discrimination to compensate for that then you could argue that Asian people, who are extremely study orientated are getting an unfair advantage :)
    Ok i've put in bold something i think you're wrong on here. The reason for positive discrimination for blacks in the US, is not because 'basically they aren't encouraged'. It's because the educational and socioeconomic disadvantage of growing up black in the states is absolutely massive.

The schools in black areas suck in general, most can't afford to go to college, but most of all, these problems have been created by a few things that the blacks had no choice in, namely the slave trade, segregation, massive societal racism and prejudice.

Secondly, affirmative action/positive discrimination isn't really an issue with Chinese, Korean and Japanese descendants.

• Advertisement

On a forum full of lads there's no way I can win the women's rights debate. I would argue for a shared maternity/paternity leave so that its not automatic that the woman stays at home. Its also easier for women to go part time etc. because it's assumed that it's more "natural". Surveys and interviews done by Kathleen Lynch showed that men think that they wouldn't be able to get part time based on the fact that they've become a parent. I don't agree with quotas, but I do think that some of the suggestions put forward by the NWCI in 2002 should be looked at to make politics a more accessible job. Personally I'd love to get into politics but I'd be discouraged because I honestly think that if me and an identical male candidate went up against each other that I would lose...That and I've a less than glowing past :rolleyes:

Jesus I read that as Katherine Lynch for a minute - now there's somebody that set feminism back 50 years...

Also aren't you making presumptions about how politics will treat women without actively engaging in it to find out?

Asian kids are just weird....

Advertisement