Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You are not a f*cking DJ. You’re an overpaid, untalented, cake-throwing c*nt.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

Ah so women base everything on pure emotional feelings, and can't have an logical debate? My point was that it is difficult to point out women's disadvantages to men who tend not to share the same perspective. For example the PWC controversy of the lads rating their colleagues, had a different reaction between me and my guy friends (we were all going for positions in PWC, I got the job but declined it). I'm not a bra burning feminist by any accounts, but there seems to be an assumption, particularly by guys that "sure everythings equal now", so they don't see any issue with it. Whereas statistics show that within about 4 or 5 years, all my guy mates who go into the same job as me, with the same grades etc, will be earning more than me.

The smiley face was intended to indicate a tongue in cheek point. And I meant to add in that I do agree with the point that they were brought here as a result of slavery, and therefore were born into conditions and prejudices that they had no control over.

Jesus I read that as Katherine Lynch for a minute - now there's somebody that set feminism back 50 years...

Also aren't you making presumptions about how politics will treat women without actively engaging in it to find out?

Asian kids are just weird....

Katherine Lynch deserves to be publicly garotted and burnt. The epitome of when Irish comedy goes wrong.

Yes, I am making an assumption, but its an assumption others will make as well. It's like women becoming engineers and mechanics. If there isn't a proportion of women already in the field, it discourages others from entering it. There's social connotations associated with the job etc. It's funny how female politician's appearances get commented on more than their male counterparts. Mary Harney's weight was commented on before she became minister for health, and there's a fair few in the Dail who are larger than she is. Female politicans have spoken about this as one of the examples of the fact that women and men in power are not viewed equally

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

Ah so women base everything on pure emotional feelings, and can't have an logical debate?
    eh no, women are perfectly capable of having a logical debate. it's just that for some reason, the majority of the time they do anything but logically debate - evidence - every discussion show on television primarily aimed at women.
    My point was that it is difficult to point out women's disadvantages to men who tend not to share the same perspective. For example the PWC controversy of the lads rating their colleagues, had a different reaction between me and my guy friends
    er, we must move in different circles because most of the reaction I got from my guy friends was 'haha what a bunch of gobsh1tes, typical bunch of cúnts you have to put up with in jobs like that'.
    Whereas statistics show that within about 4 or 5 years, all my guy mates who go into the same job as me, with the same grades etc, will be earning more than me.
    statistics also show that males are far far far more competitive in their nature than women. and if we want to get down to the actual evolutionary biology of it we can. Men are competitors at a primal level. Women are choosers at said primal level.
    That sometimes stupid over-competitiveness means guys will break their balls to get promotions or win trophies etc.
    It does not mean women can't compete. It means that in general and over time, men will compete for dominance because of a fundamental genetic flaw - us men cannot be content in our position, we have to fight to assert dominance basically because that's the way our species is (and by that I mean a slightly wider genus than homo sapiens sapiens- i mean the other great apes too).

The reward for over-competitiveness in the labour world is more money. THAT's why men earn more over time.

I agree with the competitive nature. Also guys tend to show off their achievements more and blow trumpets when they make a sale/get a client etc, whereas women tend to be more content to get the sale and move on to the next. Surely the current climate would indicate that competitive nature should not necessarily be the indicator for the best workers. And you cant put the wage differential down to pure competitiveness.

As for the different circles, my degree spews out most of the accountants so I'm not suprised that there was a certain "ah lads are lads" mentality. But among my friends, they saw it as an issue but not to the same extent I did, because they don't have the same perspective.

I agree with the competitive nature. Also guys tend to show off their achievements more and blow trumpets when they make a sale/get a client etc, whereas women tend to be more content to get the sale and move on to the next. Surely the current climate would indicate that competitive nature should not necessarily be the indicator for the best workers. And you cant put the wage differential down to pure competitiveness.

As for the different circles, my degree spews out most of the accountants so I'm not suprised that there was a certain "ah lads are lads" mentality. But among my friends, they saw it as an issue but not to the same extent I did, because they don't have the same perspective.
    no offense intended but accountants aren't exactly known for their social conciousness.

• Advertisement

None taken. Every single one of my friends has been completely shocked when I've mentioned "Oh I'm going to be a tax consultant".

The big firms do influence government's tax policy though so perhaps it might put me in a position someday to get a word in

/world peace hopes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭ianuss

An Asian synopsis of the Irish financial crisis.....

http://www.nma.tv/2010/11/30/ireland-forced-to-take-eu-bailout/

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

ianuss wrote: »
    An Asian synopsis of the Irish financial crisis.....

http://www.nma.tv/2010/11/30/ireland-forced-to-take-eu-bailout/

I love the outside world view on Ireland - its funny that it is actually the case in so many countries.

I made a joke about travelers recently in relation to a specific business transaction with a UK colleague - she responded by laughing actually in a sincere fashion and said 'it must be bad if you can even joke about travelers' - as if to suggest all Irish are basically travelers. I suppose not unlike the view held here on Romanians.

I love the outside world view on Ireland - its funny that it is actually the case in so many countries.

I made a joke about travelers recently in relation to a specific business transaction with a UK colleague - she responded by laughing actually in a sincere fashion and said 'it must be bad if you can even joke about travelers' - as if to suggest all Irish are basically travelers. I suppose not unlike the view held here on Romanians.

that 'specific business transaction' wasn't 'trying to sell her a gate' was it?

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

jtsuited wrote: »
    that 'specific business transaction' wasn't 'trying to sell her a gate' was it?

Nah horse irons. Would have thrown in a gate though if the bitch took them.

• Advertisement

On the advice of the 'what to watch on tv thread' I started to watch QI. In the episode I'm watching here, Stephen Fry claims that there's a direct correlation between hem-lines and the economy. During the good times, apparently skirts are higher.

Doesn't bode well for deviants out there hoping to cop a good look at some nice pins. The state we're in, ankle length dresses will be the norm.....

women's fashion has been completely androgynised and desexed the past 2 years anywho.

women's fashion has been completely androgynised and desexed the past 2 years anywho.

True that.

howya findin QI Ian?

I only started watching it about 2 years ago. Like I said, it's my favouritest thing ever. ever.

howya findin QI Ian?

I only started watching it about 2 years ago. Like I said, it's my favouritest thing ever. ever.

I've kinda gone about it all a55-ways. I started with the most recent episode, then watched the previous 3 in reverse order. Now I'm watching the first episode of the new series. I don't think it actually matters though. It's not like it's current affairs or anything.......

And I'm really enjoying it. Some of the stuff they come out with is ridiculous. Stephen Fry is perfect for the show too.

I've kinda gone about it all a55-ways. I started with the most recent episode, then watched the previous 3 in reverse order. Now I'm watching the first episode of the new series. I don't think it actually matters though. It's not like it's current affairs or anything.......

And I'm really enjoying it. Some of the stuff they come out with is ridiculous. Stephen Fry is perfect for the show too.

haha chronological order is completely meaningless when it comes to QI.

Yeah Stephen Fry is perfect for it, and comes across really well, by not really coming across well. He gets embarassed, fcuks up and sometimes completely fails to reign the rest of the lads in, but sure that's why we love him.

A real eye opener for me on it was Jimmy Carr. Didn't really like him (actually thought he was an annoying twat tbh) before he was on QI. The guy's bloody hilarious on it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

Jimmy Carr is brilliant!

I worry about my nan. If she's alone and falls, does she make a noise? I'm joking, she's dead.

My father always used to say, "What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger," - 'til the accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

My reading of that was that she meant that things in Ireland had gotten so bad (economically) that general decency and standards had also deteriorated so much that it was now socially accepted to slag Pikeys and their daags.

There was loads of stuff on the thread I wanted to reply to but it's been a long day so it'd take too much effort. Although I will add, Stephen Fry 'is' QI

Jimmy Carr is brilliant!

I worry about my nan. If she's alone and falls, does she make a noise? I'm joking, she's dead.

My father always used to say, "What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger," - 'til the accident.

I think Jimmy Carr is good on gameshows, as a guest or a host but his stand-up is rubbish IMO. It's just one liner after one liner.

Can't believe I never saw QI up until now, and I see that it's in it's 8th series now. Serious catching up to be done :)

I think Jimmy Carr is good on gameshows, as a guest or a host but his stand-up is rubbish IMO. It's just one liner after one liner.

Can't believe I never saw QI up until now, and I see that it's in it's 8th series now. Serious catching up to be done :)

I envy you. I really do. There were 6 done when I first saw it. Happy days they were.

• Advertisement

It's just one liner after one liner.
    Eh, that's the point.

I've been watching it since series 1.

Comedy Oldskool :cool:

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Eh, that's the point.

Na, most comedians are great storytellers. Jimmy Carr just has short one liners. Don't get me wrong, they're funny enough, but it gets boring real fast.....IMO anyway. I've never really warmed to him as a result.

Na, most comedians are great storytellers. Jimmy Carr just has short one liners. Don't get me wrong, they're funny enough, but it gets boring real fast.....IMO anyway. I've never really warmed to him as a result.
    Yeah but it's still the point of his comedy. I think it's amazing to be able to come up with that amount of one liners.
    I take it you don't like Tim Vine either so? :D

Some "comedians" that do the long story schtick can be terribly boring too. I always feel incredibly let down when they eventually get to the punchline and it's cráp. Horses for courses though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭acman

Speaking of one liner comedians, this guy cracked me up the first time I saw him:

Wouldn't be his greatest fan alright. Like you say, horses for courses. I think Lee Mack might be the funniest man on the planet - I think I might even love him. He's genious!

The long gag thing reminds me of seeing Dylan Moran a bazillion years ago. I had a smoke before the gig and as a result kept drifting off and missing the punchlines. I always thought he was rubbish after that - until I watched one of his dvd's a while agp and found him hilarious.

edit; I do like that Stewart Francis bloke though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭R.Shackleford

acman wrote: »
    Speaking of one liner comedians, this guy cracked me up the first time I saw him:

1+ for Stewart Francis. A friend of mine stuck on some of his stuff for me one night. Pissed myself laughing. Think you really have to be in the right mood and setting to watch him tho. Ive shown clips of him to some people and they found him really unfunny. Better then jimmy carr. Carr just goes for shock value.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

I must say I've cooled on Lee Mack. I thought he was hilarious when I saw his first live DVD and the first series of Not Going Out. Then the second series was pretty meh. I just watched his new live DVD last week and I'm sorry to say it was pretty poor.

Dylan Moran is just class though.

For a completely different style of stand up, but one of the funniest guys I've ever seen, try Brian Regan. Some other faves of mine would be Steven Wright, Ron White and even Dane Cook (in his earlier stuff, before he started playing Madison square garden and making ****e movies).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Just watched Falling Down, really great film. Anyone looking for a film to watch, do it. Like Taxi Driver crossed with a cop mystery.

yeah falling down is a class film alright.

• Advertisement

Comedy is quite music in that it's extremely divisive. Some of the sh1t that some of mates are into is unreal (both musically and comedy wise) and I'm sure they'd say the same about my tastes too. :D

If you want to check out an amazing comedian check out Mitch Hedberg.

He's sadly no longer with us, and as such he's gotten a bit of a Bill Hicks cult following, it is justified though.

Can't really search for youtube links in work, but some of his stuff is genius. His Comedy Central special wasn't great though. Think most of the people just didn't get it.

Advertisement