Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You are not a f*cking DJ. You’re an overpaid, untalented, cake-throwing c*nt.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭ianuss

BaZmO* wrote: »

Can't really search for youtube links in work, but some of his stuff is genius.

Sharing links could soon be illegal :eek: http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1129/fairuse-technology.html

edit; or you'll just end up paying for the privelege

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Mitch Hedberg is a Legend!

I'm snowed in today! Anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

ianuss wrote: »
    Sharing links could soon be illegal :eek: http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1129/fairuse-technology.html

edit; or you'll just end up paying for the privelege
    Ah they come up with that all the time. I suppose the technicality is that Boards only act as a conduit for the information to be shared, so they're the ones doing the copyright infringement. But either way, I think the horse has bolted with companies trying to control electronic piracy. You close down Boards and another 10 similar websites will open up.

Zascar wrote: »
    Mitch Hedberg is a Legend!

I'm snowed in today! Anyone else?
    First mention of the weather on here!! That's some going!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Hahah true! I did actually try to get in to work, but after 30 minutes I only got 500 yards and going nowhere so I turned around...

Does anyone actually frequent the weather forum? I think we talked about this last year. I don't really understand people's fascination with the weather. Ok kind of understandable on a day like today, but the rest of the time???

One of my mates had a hilarious facebook status the other day: " I don't see 10-20cm of snow, all I see is slush, Met Eireann couldn't predict an ejaculation in a brothel. "

Hahah true! I did actually try to get in to work, but after 30 minutes I only got 500 yards and going nowhere so I turned around...

Does anyone actually frequent the weather forum? I think we talked about this last year. I don't really understand people's fascination with the weather. Ok kind of understandable on a day like today, but the rest of the time???

One of my mates had a hilarious facebook status the other day: " I don't see 10-20cm of snow, all I see is slush, Met Eireann couldn't predict an ejaculation in a brothel. "
    I think they were predicting two feet of snow in some places. Which some places actually got.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

I have to say that I'm loving the snow. I waited till around 21:00 last night when it was belting down in Waterford and the footpaths were no longer slippy and then lashed some Rammstein and Kalkbrenner on the mp3 player, wolfed down a nice pipe-full and headed out for a long walk and managed to be 'co-opted' into a snowball fight along the way.

Today I'll do some 'work' from home and then start editing Berlin field recordings after lunch. All very civilized and keeps my mind off the fact that if I were home in Oz it would be the start of summer.

I wonder how long this is going to last, I'm supposed to be flying to Amsterdam on Saturday for time warp. If I can even get there at all is the question, but assuming I do, the mail this morning said be prepared for "Long Queues and Freezing Conditions - with limited lockers". I think I'd prefer to sit in a cafe or my hotel for the weekend listening to tunes and having a laugh, than risk hypothermia.

I wonder how long this is going to last, I'm supposed to be flying to Amsterdam on Saturday for time warp. If I can even get there at all is the question, but assuming I do, the mail this morning said be prepared for "Long Queues and Freezing Conditions - with limited lockers". I think I'd prefer to sit in a cafe or my hotel for the weekend listening to tunes and having a laugh, than risk hypothermia.
    By "the mail" I hope you mean that you receive a daily weather update from An Post each morning and not that you read the Daily Mail?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Presumably the "Long Queues and Freezing Conditions - with limited lockers" means at the airport rather than at Time Warp :p

By "the mail" I hope you mean that you receive a daily weather update from An Post each morning and not that you read the Daily Mail?
    Haha no the mail from the TimeWarp Organisers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

Comedy is quite music in that it's extremely divisive. Some of the sh1t that some of mates are into is unreal (both musically and comedy wise) and I'm sure they'd say the same about my tastes too. :D

If you want to check out an amazing comedian check out Mitch Hedberg.

He's sadly no longer with us, and as such he's gotten a bit of a Bill Hicks cult following, it is justified though.

Mitch Hedburg is genius. David Cross is brilliant as well - Check him out.

Louis C.K. cracks me up:

I fúcking hate Bill Hicks at this stage. His smarmy patter has been quoted by so many asshats on different forums that the mention of his name makes my teeth grind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

I fúcking hate Bill Hicks at this stage. His smarmy patter has been quoted by so many asshats on different forums that the mention of his name makes my teeth grind.

oh thank god you said that. I like Bill Hicks (only because of his thoughts on marketing people!!), but the kind of people who quote Bill Hicks in arguments truly are bloodboiling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

the mail this morning said be prepared for "Long Queues and Freezing Conditions - with limited lockers". I think I'd prefer to sit in a cafe or my hotel for the weekend listening to tunes and having a laugh, than risk hypothermia.

Its not as if you cant spend the weekend in a nice warm coffeeshop chillin out with your mates :D There's still bars which let you bring smoke into them.
    Such choice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭acman

Jesus, kick us when w'ere down or what! My guess is that if this becomes a reality, most of the big corporations will be out of here quicker than we can blink. Some have already left (DELL for instance) and this would be all the excuse the rest need to finally leave lil' ol Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

What do people think crowds will be like tonight? DJing tonight, and half expecting a completely empty club. Would a normal bar/club whip up a batch of mulled wine if you asked would you say?

Well a lot bus services are cancelled so it'd be difficult just get into town. But then again it's a Wednesday night, which I presume is a Student Night, and we all know what those feckers are like for going out!

acman wrote: »
    Jesus, kick us when w'ere down or what! My guess is that if this becomes a reality, most of the big corporations will be out of here quicker than we can blink. Some have already left (DELL for instance) and this would be all the excuse the rest need to finally leave lil' ol Ireland.

For sure. Apart from access to a skilled workforce there would be no incentive to do business here. It would be a killer blow.

For sure. Apart from access to a skilled workforce there would be no incentive to do business here. It would be a killer blow.

We're an English speaking country, that makes a huge difference with the US companies.

• Advertisement

I know a good few of the lads on here are quite internet savvy, so I wonder if you could help me out.

Trying to figure how to stop mp3s I post on my blog being so easy to rip from the source code. Any new stuff, especially unreleased stuff, I post I obviously don't have downloadable, but anybody can just go into the source code and find the .mp3 link and download it.

I've seen a lot of blogs at least have the .mp3 links encoded, but can't see an option to do this on the Wordpress audio player, and encoding them externally doesn't work.

Other blogs with the exact same audio player don't even have any .mp3 links in the source code, how do you do that? That's the ideal, but I'd be happy enough just encoding them for the time being.

We're an English speaking country, that makes a huge difference with the US companies.

It's all about the $$$$$'s. While speaking English is a postive, the cost of doing business here would outweigh the benefits of the language. Most major European countries and cities are more than competent English speakers.

Grimey have you tried the wordpress forums: http://wordpress.org/support/ or www.irishwebmasterforum.com - someone should be able to help you there

Otherwise, try a different embedded player maybe?

I know a good few of the lads on here are quite internet savvy, so I wonder if you could help me out.

Trying to figure how to stop mp3s I post on my blog being so easy to rip from the source code. Any new stuff, especially unreleased stuff, I post I obviously don't have downloadable, but anybody can just go into the source code and find the .mp3 link and download it.

I've seen a lot of blogs at least have the .mp3 links encoded, but can't see an option to do this on the Wordpress audio player, and encoding them externally doesn't work.

Other blogs with the exact same audio player don't even have any .mp3 links in the source code, how do you do that? That's the ideal, but I'd be happy enough just encoding them for the time being.

I was trying to figure this out too and couldn't so I just post the retail snippets from online stores. I even asked a few of the retailers would they mind, and they said no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

[cliché] I'm not a racist, but [/cliché] how many of these companies have their customer service centres based in Bangalore and the like? That's the standard of english that these companies deem to be acceptable for doing the bulk of their business.

Make no mistake, if the corpo tax is aligned to the rest of Europe we are screwed. A lot of companies will still need to have operations based in Europe for tax reasons but you can bet they won't be in Ireland.

Grimey have you tried the wordpress forums: http://wordpress.org/support/ or www.irishwebmasterforum.com - someone should be able to help you there

Otherwise, try a different embedded player maybe?

Yeah I'll put a thread on there, using wordpress.com not org though.

Yeah I've sometimes embedded the juno preview, it's really easy to grab.

milltown wrote: »
    [cliché] I'm not a racist, but [/cliché] how many of these companies have their customer service centres based in Bangalore and the like? That's the standard of english that these companies deem to be acceptable for doing the bulk of their business.

Speaking to these people does my fookin head in. And it's not a remotely racist thing either. I used to love phoning Sky years ago. Their call centre used to be in Scotland, Edinburgh I think. I'd be literally jizzing in my pants listening to that accent. But now their call centre is somewhere in India - and I think I would rather have my face pecked by crows than have to try and talk to them. It's just too painful an experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭acman

+
    jtsuited wrote: »
    I was trying to figure this out too and couldn't so I just post the retail snippets from online stores. I even asked a few of the retailers would they mind, and they said no problem.

Unfortunately, there is no foolproof way of preventing your online digital music from being ripped off. There are many ways to mitigate the risk of your music files being download such as SSL Streams / Server Side .swf playlists and you can even try to avoid the risk altogether by creating a private user download area or simply email your tracks up on request. Ultimately you are fighting a loosing battle though. The bottom line is, anything people can hear through their laptop speakers can be ripped off. It's your choice how far you want to take it in terms of "making it difficult" for people, however, I can guarantee you that it will only act as a deterrent and not as an effective solution to your problem.

Another choice is to offer snippets at a lower sound quality - probably a counter productive choice though IMO.

My feeling is that if people go that far to illegally download your music, then you must be doing something right :D Who knows, they might even end up buying it or even taking the trouble to attend one of your gigs.

Wow, Google has actually developed its own Beatbox!! Check it out...

1) Go to Google Translate

2) Set the translator to translate German to German

3) Copy + paste the following into the translate box: pv zk pv pv zk pv zk kz zk pv pv pv zk pv zk zk pzk pzk pvzkpkzvpvzk kkkkkk bsch

4) Click “listen”

5) Be amazed :)

• Advertisement

acman wrote: »
    +

Unfortunately, there is no foolproof way of preventing your online digital music from being ripped off. There are many ways to mitigate the risk of your music files being download such as SSL Streams / Server Side .swf playlists and you can even try to avoid the risk altogether by creating a private user download area or simply email your tracks up on request. Ultimately you are fighting a loosing battle though. The bottom line is, anything people can hear through their laptop speakers can be ripped off. It's your choice how far you want to take it in terms of "making it difficult" for people, however, I can guarantee you that it will only act as a deterrent and not as an effective solution to your problem.

Another choice is to offer snippets at a lower sound quality - probably a counter productive choice though IMO.

My feeling is that if people go that far to illegally download your music, then you must be doing something right :D Who knows, they might even end up buying it or even taking the trouble to attend one of your gigs.
    yeah that's why I only put up the retail snippets. only fair really.

Advertisement