Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dead power supply?

Options
  • 05-05-2010 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

I put a Corsair power supply into a new build recently. Connected everything up, plugged it in, and the trip switch went in the house the minute I switched it on.

After that I couldn't get it to power up at all. I replaced the Corsair with a lighter (750) supply and everything works perfectly.

My question; why did this happen in the first place, and is there any way for me to test if the Corsair supply is dead or not?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Did you use the same power cord (kettle cord) after you put in the other PSU? If you didn't then try the Corsair using that cord. If you did then the Corsair was defective and you're entitled to some pointed choice words and a replacement so go ahead and RMA that giant paperweight! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭clubcrown

Solitaire wrote: »
    Did you use the same power cord (kettle cord) after you put in the other PSU? If you didn't then try the Corsair using that cord. If you did then the Corsair was defective and you're entitled to some pointed choice words and a replacement so go ahead and RMA that giant paperweight! :mad:

I tried both power cords actually, second time round.

Anyone know of a way I can just test the PSU itself to see if its still alive? I dont have loads of spare components sitting around to build a system just to test if its working :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

You can buy a power supply tester to see if its working. Costs only a few euro.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Can't you transplant it into your current system to test it?

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭clubcrown

Solitaire wrote: »
    Can't you transplant it into your current system to test it?

not really - one psu is modular, the other one isn't. So I'd have to take everything apart. Plus I'm loath to put effort into rebuilding everything and the same thing happens again - I can't risk blowing my motherboard as well.

I'm looking for a quick fix really :D Power supply tester it is.

• Advertisement
Advertisement