Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

fixed gear downhill

• 05-05-2010 3:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭

I decided to go up the wicklow mountains last weekend and take the scenic route to Kildare. It was an experience and I improved my high speed cadence, never went so fast on a bike before. I made the return journey yesterday but went a different route.

Anyway I was going down a steep decline and somehow lost control, my legs prob got too tired to keep up with the back wheel and the road was rough, feet came off the pedals and I was veering to the side, somehow I managed to control the bike but didnt dare to try get my feet back on the blurred out pedals. It got me thinking, do many people take their feet off the pedals intentionally to coast then a hill? I seemed to be able to control the bike well, had my feet towards the back wheel

another question, Im thinking of having a single speed for summer scenic cycles but Im afraid it might confuse me when I switch between fixed and free and back again

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Anyway I was going down a steep decline and somehow lost control, my legs prob got too tired to keep up with the back wheel and the road was rough, feet came off the pedals and I was veering to the side, somehow I managed to control the bike but didnt dare to try get my feet back on the blurred out pedals. It got me thinking, do many people take their feet off the pedals intentionally to coast then a hill? I seemed to be able to control the bike well, had my feet towards the back wheel

Never seen someone do that before. I'm not in the habit of riding fixed on the hills, but if I felt I the cadence was going crazy going down a hill I'd opt to slow down rather than unclip my feet. It could get ugly if you accidentally hit the flying pedals with your legs.
    another question, Im thinking of having a single speed for summer scenic cycles but Im afraid it might confuse me when I switch between fixed and free and back again

Loads of people alternate between the two and it never seems to be a problem. Certainly hasn't been for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

footpegs on the downtube perhaps?... :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I find that if you've been doing alot of one and then switch to the other it takes a bit of getting used to for a few minutes (in my case 5/10 minutes). For example fixed to free I tend to peddle continuously and unable to glide on hills for the first few minutes and my legs feel a bit weird when I do. When I switch back it takes a few minutes again to get used to continuous pedalling.

nothing to worry about though, just an odd feeling for a few minutes.

As for clipping out on a downhill on a fixed gear, I've seen people doing it but if your able to peddle I'd just brake a bit and go slower, it's safer and I feel would give you more control.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

My foot came out of the pedal on the track in Manchester once. Mild panic set in (I was probably doing 35+ kph and the slope at each end is 43 degrees, so you cannot affort to slow down too much). I managed to keep going, doing a complete circuit pedalling with one foot, and the other leg hanging, trying to avoid the pedal. Managed to slow down and pull off the track on the straight, avoiding further incident, but I would certainly not want to be in that situation again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

before your cadence gets too high gradually backpedal, read: gradually apply resistance to pedals which want to continue going round, if you do it suddenly you will skid the back wheel though.

• Advertisement

me@ucd wrote: »
    before your cadence gets too high gradually backpedal, read: gradually apply resistance to pedals which want to continue going round, if you do it suddenly you will skid the back wheel though.

Works at slow speed but AFAIK you risk severe knee damage if your going to fast (I presume from the OP this isn't an option anyway on the hills you were on).

I say gradual braking and no effort into pushing with your feet is the better option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

cdaly_ wrote: »
    footpegs on the downtube perhaps?... :D
    I've seen a few photos of old bikes with these for that very reason.

I've tried feet off the pedals attempting a sort of bent superman position with legs trailing off behind the bike but it is pretty hard on the crotch area even on smooth tarmac. You also lose a lot of control over the bike.

I'd suggest working on your cadence; mine improved a lot from going downhill fixed. Paradoxically at very high cadence it is easier to actually push the pedals a bit rather than have the bike doing it for you.

If you have a back brake use it to scrub speed. If you don't use your front. Using your legs is not a great idea for your continued health.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭Greyspoke

Just use your brakes! Once you take your feet off the pedals your centre of gravity is suddenly much higher and you become a lot less stable especially on bumpy roads and unlike trying it on a freewheeled bike, you have little chance of reconnecting with the pedals until you've slowed right down by which time....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

OP, were you riding fixed with no straps/clips? If so i'd suggest you get some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Dr.Millah

Pedal without applying any extra force to the pedals. More so just let the pedals do the the leg moving for you (leaving your legs dead almost)

Ive also used the front break to drop speeds fast but apply the pressure slowly as to not send too much weight to the front of the bike very fast.

Also, if you know its a large hill dont let yourself build up speed by using the breaks often from the start.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Bluefoam wrote: »
    OP, were you riding fixed with no straps/clips? If so i'd suggest you get some.

no helmet either, gotta get that sorted asap

Bohernabreena was in my Sunday route, maybe I have a death wish! havent crashed in a couple of weeks but if Im gonna do some steep hills I better get straps and a helmet

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭goldencleric

I was riding fixed without retention for a a few weeks, have to say after getting straps I didn't know how i got on without them ... so much easier to climb ... and obviously the added bonus of skids haha :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭Golfanatic

anyone ride fixed with spd/sl etc, for long spins i use spd-sl is dis dangerous i dont tink so i do it alot, ye neva know juzt in case

No, it is far far safer to have firm retention riding fixed. Particularly if you are doing long spins involving hills and high speeds; I don't think there is anything massively wrong with pootling around town on flat pedals.

I have clipless pedals on all my fixed bikes and clipless pedals or very tight straps are mandatory for track racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭goldencleric

@ Blorg

What shoes/pedals would you recommend for a fixed?

@ Blorg

What shoes/pedals would you recommend for a fixed?
    Unless you are racing I would go with Shimano SPDs as you can walk in them. M520s are cheap (~£20) and work as well as the top-end pedals (they are just a bit heavier.)

As for shoes it really depends on what fits. I have Specialized, Shimano and SIDI.

Golfanatic wrote: »
    anyone ride fixed with spd/sl etc, for long spins i use spd-sl is dis dangerous i dont tink so i do it alot, ye neva know juzt in case

I do and its fine. IMO, far safer than not being attached.

Advertisement