Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moynalvey Boarding Kennels

• 05-05-2010 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭

Has anyone used Moynalvey Kennels before or heard of them, they are based in Kilcok, co.Meath? Interested in hearing any sort of feedback. Thanks :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭jenpup

I viewed this Kennel while trying to pick which one to leave my dogs with last year.

The outdoor "runs" were full of weeds as tall as me (over 6ft)

The indoor kennels were dark, gloomy and damp and stank to high heaven.

I didn't leave my dogs here last year.

I went with athboy kennels http://www.athboykennels.com/ - fantastic couple running these.

Second choice was http://www.kufinnka.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Our guy is going to Best Kennels in a couple of weeks. I feel so guilty - my poor baba! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭LBD

Thats for your replies and info! All things considered we might forget about this kennel so thanks jenpen. We've gotten a few quotes from a few places so we're going to look at them. We're going to New Zealand (ash cloud permitting!!!) for three weeks......I feel awful leaving them for so long, like a really bad mum!!!!! At least they have each other though I suppose :o

We're toying with the idea of my mum and dad taking them for a week but not sure if it's a good idea as we don't want to disrupt them so much!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 coffeenfags

moynalveykennels is not for every dogs I think...

I went to visit moynalveykennels yesterday in the hope I had found the perfect place for my dog while I'll be on holiday. The setting sounded perfect, dog loose on a farm, playing about and chasing chicken and ducks.. I have to say all thought the people who runs it are lovely I could not bear the thought of leaving my dog there ;(

I red the review of the place before I wen there and i thought that perhaps the person who wrote the last one just went there on a pad day, so I gave it a shot.

:eek: I personally thought that the place stunk really really badly and that dogs we're left without water in an overcrowded fenced area where it looks like they spend all day but most certainly all night outside. :eek: Although there is an indoor sleeping area for the rainy day it looked to be un-used for a whole and fare too small for the numbers of dogs they had.

So if you have a dog that requires, no grooming and could sleep outside, moynalveykennels could be the place of him/her. The People who own it are certainly animal lovers and you dog will get stew and lots of stuff to dogs there when I went to visit.:)

BUT, If you dog is like mine and is treated like a little prince at home.. Well the shock might just be too hard on him, cause there he won't be spending his on the sofa, sleeps in someone bed, gets brushed every day, gets cuddle all the time. That said i don't think that moynalveykennels vision of a dog is wrong at all. I think it's just us city people who turned our dog into a child and make it more difficult to adapt to a "real animal" environment. rolleyes.gif So here's an ethical dilemma for you...

So because of the smell and the fact that my baby boy would have to sleep outside or in a damp & dark prison, and because of the state of the owners own dog (completely not groomed or wash for god know how long :confused:), because it looked to be over crowded and too many dog there so my baby boy would not get his dose of cuddle. My dog will not be staying there and I could not recommend that place to a person who treats her dog the way I do.

That said.. If I had a hunting dog or a working dog, he most certainly would stay there and I would not even consider another place for him.. But Having a city boy dog, it's not gonna work for us....

So moynalveykennels is not for every dog! Now the question is yours, do you have a real dog or a city boy who sleeps under your duvet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Flynnf

Do NOT leave your dog in this place. It is a disgrace and frankly verges on cruelty to animals. The dogs are not cared for, have to fend for themselves amongst each other (i.e. Fight their corner), left outside all night, no proper shelter from the rain, no space for the amount of dogs in the run and so called shelter. The dogs don't even have water. Our dog is a timid German Shepard and unfortunately we did not see this post before leaving her there, she is traumatised, can't keep her food down, has obvious injuries to her face, is in pain when we touch her, and has barely woke up since bringing her home. We are bringing her to the vet for a full check over and will be following up with the RSPCA in relation to this place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 kingy916

i brought my two dogs to these people last summer to get there coats clipped,when i went to pick them up i was shocked beyond belief ,i have 2 rough collies , ,one of my dogs looked nice but then i saw the female,they had shaved her beautifull coat compleatelly bald,they had no premission from me to do this,after a few minutes of me giving out he convinced me it would grow back really nice and fast,its now a year on and her coat did not even grow back a little bit,i have spoken to other groomers and vets and i was told that a dog with a double coat should never ever have there coat shaved,AS it will never grow back,i have since made many calls to them and i have bn told to **** off by the owner,he will take no responsibility for what has happened , they are not registered business nor are they legally qualifed to look after or groom dogs,my dog is destroed for the rest of her life now,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭PeteFalk78

Hmmm lots of newbie 1 post reviews.......hardly conclusive evidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

kingy916 wrote: »
    iits now a year on and her coat did not even grow back a little bit,i have spoken to other groomers and vets and i was told that a dog with a double coat should never ever have there coat shaved,AS it will never grow back

Sorry but this is complete rubbish - they shouldn't be clipped but it WILL grow back. My dog is has a double coat and large areas have been shaved bald not just clipped 3 times for operations - the coat came back even thicker than it was before. I'll give you the benefit of doubt that you're not trolling and recommend Lupoderm oil from zooplus as it made the coat come back quicker compared to the first time he was shaved - http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/cats/supplements_specialty_cat_food/fur_skin_supplements/127321

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

A Rough Collies Coat if shaved will eventually grow back but it will never be the same again. Shaving it would ruin it. When you clip a double coat you remove the Rough top layer leaving the dog in its undercoat. The top coat takes much much longer to grow back. It is a lot different then a Retriever type coat.

The Borders have a double coat too & if shaved it removes the wire weatherproof layer leaving a soft coated fluffy dog.

Advertisement