Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My new rescue guinea pig :)

Options
  • 05-05-2010 5:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭

I just got this lovely guinea pig :) He's really friendly even though he was abandoned or strayed and had mange and matted hair. Once his hair grows back and the last matts are out then I'll put up more photos :)

gp.jpg

He's really placid so I thought I'd introduce him to my two baby boy pigs, since trios of boys can get along sometimes, and older pigs usually don't mind young ones . . . and he didn't, he was just eating grass, being really good, and one of the babies lunged at him, I put my hand out and the baby one bit me, really hard! Then I picked up the new pig and stood up and the baby one bit my foot! It's unbelievable how hard they can bite, for a tiny animal, and my finger and foot are both bleeding loads. I probably shouldn't have just put them in together, I just thought because he was so placid and friendly, but no . . . oh well, at least they didn't have a fight.

So maybe they won't get on but I have them in hutches and runs next to each other for now, and I'll keep switching them around so they get to know each other's scent.

But it doesn't matter if they don't make friends, because I have a spare hutch and run too, and I could either get him a new boyfriend, or get him neutered and let him live with my girls.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Aww he's gorgeous!! Good on you for taking him in.

I guess it's a matter of time with introductions I've heard of some folk being able to keep trios of males, haven't managed it myself though.
    Keeping the females well away from sniffing distance is a must though, you prob. know of this site already but just in case check out barmy4boars full of info. on intros.

He is lovely be sure to post plenty of pics even before the hair grows back and your other pigs as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I've never heard of that site but will check it out now, thanks :)

I'm a member of the irish guinea pig forum and an english one, so I'll be asking them for lots of advice! I only had sows until one had a baby boy, and then I bought another baby boy to keep him company, so I am a bit new to boars. I've had sows for 7 years though.

Here's a photo where you can see his hair better
    marco.jpg

Here's Lola and Sukie. Lola's an Abyruvian apparently! :P People still think Lola is a boy since Sukie was mysteriously pregnant, and that's why Lola's name is very fitting because she's named after the Kink's song :) (But I only had Sukie for 5 weeks when she gave birth, people just don't believe that guinea pigs are pregnant for longer than that!) And I know how to check what sex they are and I got the vet to double check!
    sukieandlola3.jpg

And Moxie and Cenci (Cenci is Sukie's son) not the best photo. This was a few weeks ago now. Moxie is black and roan kinda I guess, and Cenci is golden agouti
    7.jpg

I always have my two young boys nearby to the girls (but won't keep the new one near them) so maybe they're just more full of hormones than he is . . . He's so laid back it's funny, but if one of the babies attacked him and he fought back he could really hurt them, so I'm going to be very very careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

This thread is making me want a pair of rats or gerbils again. :( I'm not allowed. Damn cats.

Well done on taking him in. He's lovely!

I'd love gerbils someday, maybe even rats if I can get over the baldness of their tail! I think they're adorable, but the tail . . . I'm sure I'll get them someday :)

I'm not allowed though since my mother hates rodents and doesn't want me having indoor pets (except the cats that come in all the time!). :( She agreed last Christmas that I could get hamsters though . . . but I talked them into letting me get more guinea pigs instead, since I had one whose friend had died and she was lonely. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

They're lovely. That barmy4boars site is great, there's the link to it on my website (below) on my links page there's links to a few other guinea pig sites as well.

Just be careful with the boys if they get a sniff of a female in heat they can go for each other out of the blue.

The irish guinea pig forum is great, haven't been on it in ages. We lost our elderly pigs last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭CreedonsDogDayc

I had two guinea pigs growing up, those pics have made me very nostalgic!!

Aw sorry GuineaPigRescue, I lost one of my 7 year old guinea pigs last summer and the other a few months ago.

They're lovely pets aren't they :) Since Cenci was born though was my first time having ones that liked being handled! My old ones became very tame and would run up to see me, but only because they knew I'd have treats for them! I didn't really handle them because it scared them so they didn't get used to it. Same with my new girls because they're from pet shops. If I ever had to buy from pet shops again it'd be MaxiZoo. But I give the boys a cuddle every day so they're very friendly. But even for the ones that don't like being held, they're a nice pet to have and watch and feed treats to and all :)

I had two guinea pigs growing up, those pics have made me very nostalgic!!

You should get more! Everyone should get guinea pigs!

Advertisement