Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting a room but have custody of child at weekends?

Options
  • 05-05-2010 5:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi,

Ive been searching through the threads here, but cant find anything related to the situation I am in so I hope someone here can advise me...

I am living with my parents at the moment but im looking to rent a room from the start of June onwards. The thing is I have custody of my 3 year old every weekend and every wednesday night.

Is there anyone else in a similar situation renting a room but have their kid at the weekend? I know in most shared houses I would have use of the kitchen and sitting room but Im assuming the other tenants would object to a child running around the place, making noise or whatever

Of course the ideal thing would be to just rent a 1 bed apartment but unfortunately thats out of my price range at the moment

Any opinions or advice...?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Don't go signing an agreement for a room and then try to get your child in at the required times. Check first if your child can stay when you want and get confirmation in writing or have a clause in the agreement that this is acceptable.
    You might even find somewhere that there is another child in the house, which would be even more convenient.

Good luck on your room hunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

odds_on wrote: »
    You might even find somewhere that there is another child in the house, which would be even more convenient.
    Finding such is good. Looking for such can be seen as bad, esp because you are male.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Nacho Contreras

the_syco wrote: »
    Finding such is good. Looking for such can be seen as bad, esp because you are male.

Yeah I agree that would look a bit weird, a bloke asking something like that. Im assuming most house shares would be 2 or 3 single people with a room each and if a couple were renting a room they would obviously have to pay more than the singles. If I were to rent the room on the basis that my kid would be there all the time and pay the same rate as a couple sharing that would be fine.

Finding a landlord that would accomodate someone in my situation is the problem though.

Myself and my ex have joint custody of the child and she gets a whole house to herself paid for by the state, childrens allowance, free childcare, one parent family payment and the rest. And here I am hoping to get a room in a house. Well thats fathers rights for you i suppose...

Anyway sorry for the mini rant, its just a frustrating situation to be in.

Thanks for the replies and ill keep looking till i find something

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

A bit of advice: don't get an apartment. Go for a house with a decent garden, so that the child can play there on nice days.

Although I'd usually say not to go for house where the landlord is staying there, you may get a good deal if the landlord is a woman with a big house: chances are all her children have since moved out, and thus you may stand a better chance with having the kid over?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,385 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Do you plan to rent one or two rooms?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

If all else fails you could rent the room for yourself but take care of your child at your parents? Might even get a discount off the room if you're staying only 4/5 days a week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Nacho Contreras

If all else fails you could rent the room for yourself but take care of your child at your parents? Might even get a discount off the room if you're staying only 4/5 days a week!

Ive thought about this as well, but i want to move away from my parents and get a bit of independance, so if i was to go back home at the weekends and on wednesdays what would be the point moving out at all?
    Do you plan to rent one or two rooms?

I plan on renting only the one room. Although I said in my OP that a 1 bedroom apartment is out of my price range, I could actually afford it but like many people I dont know if ill still have a job next month or the month after so im afraid to bite the bullet and take on an apartment and then maybe have to give it up after a few months because Im out of work and can no longer afford the rent.

Maybe the solution is find myself a new girlfriend maybe someone who also has a kid and rent somewhere together :D Well here's hoping...!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Maybe you could house share with a dad in a similar situation

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Maybe you could house share with a dad in a similar situation

That might be your best bet. Perhaps look on parenting forums for another single father looking for accommodation. Meet up with any respondents and see if you click with any of them. Then look for a house to share together.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Really feel for your situation hope you get something. Sorry can't help have been thinking of what i'd do if I was in a simular situ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

I'm in a similar situation and have had to stay home in order to afford loan/credit cards/rent to parent/child support

It's difficult as I'm not a child anymore but could I suggest to the OP to stick with it awhile, as job security is iffy everywhere at the moment and at least you have (I assume) your family's love and support?

(Not getting personal--just talking from my own POV)

Either way best of luck and fair play:)

Advertisement