Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do after accounting degree?

Options
  • 05-05-2010 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi,
    I'm finishing up my second year of a 3 year accounting degree and I'm wondering what are my options after I graduate. I'm actually clueless about what kind of options i might have so any help would be much appreciated.:)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

aw.. you put a smiley face at the end of it... so young and naive...
    You'll probably become an accountant, do another 1.5-2 years study and work for peanuts for the guts of 3 years

• Registered Users Posts: 24 jg72

ha! thanks for the heads up! im actually wondering about the whole hiring process from the big accountancy firms and if i should maybe consider a masters rather than go straight into work... whats your opinion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

The Big 4, along with the smaller firms begin their annual hiring process around October each year with interviews in November. If you get offered, and you accept the job (DONT!!!!) then you will begin work the following September - November.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭the long lad

04072511 wrote: »
    The Big 4, along with the smaller firms begin their annual hiring process around October each year with interviews in November. If you get offered, and you accept the job (DONT!!!!) then you will begin work the following September - November.

The big 4 would probably ask you to do a masters of accounting (torture, believe me, but maybe worth it) but they'll pay for most of it. Then you'd start work between September and November after the masters. 3 years experience in the big 4 could open up doors to work in industry or you could join a smaller firm where your experience could possibly be useful. Plenty people will come on here and criticise the accounting profession etc but at the moment its a good option for graduates because there's very little else on offer. The social life that goes with accounting is far better than you'd be led to believe also.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

don't bother with the big four, they offer very little. try and get a job in a private company, much better pay, will still give time off and likely support exams. Obviously it'll be harder in the current climate but worth it...

for example I got a job in Tesco Head office
    Started on 26k, year later was on 35k.
    ACCA exams and course were paid for.
    Got 3 days per exam leave plus took some holidays.

I never even considered working for the big four, they take the piss totally with pay and stupidly long hours and give you nothing back over the longer term. Looking at whats happened recently I'd be of the opinion that they are not to be trusted in this country and are either totally incompetent or corrupt

• Advertisement

Consider a graduate program - if the ultimate goal is working industry why go through the drudgery of audit?

milkround.com is a UK grad program website.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 jg72

thanks for the advice everyone! just out of curiosity, does anyone know if there are many job opportunities in galway in the likes of kpmg, deloitte etc or are they mostly based in dublin?

No

E&Y closed their galway office
    Deloitte never had one
    PWC - not sure
    KPMG - do hire afaik but not many

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Slasher

Definitely do a Masters if you can. Then go away for a year and enjoy yourself - U.S., Oz, whatever.

Then get as far away from Accountancy as you can. Get into corporate finance or a merchant bank. Accountancy will break your heart and your spirit, and the work can be mind numbingly boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 andiknowyou

Slasher wrote: »
    Definitely do a Masters if you can. Then go away for a year and enjoy yourself - U.S., Oz, whatever.

Then get as far away from Accountancy as you can. Get into corporate finance or a merchant bank. Accountancy will break your heart and your spirit, and the work can be mind numbingly boring.

Couldnt agree more...that's why I am a practice accountant, recently qualified, with two internet browsing tabs open right now, boards.ie & recruitment sites to try and get out of this industry!! Working hard as always

• Advertisement
Advertisement