Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your fave. baking utentils?

Options
  • 05-05-2010 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭

If I remember rightly there was a thread on cookie cutters a while back.
    So is anyone else sad like me and aside from getting a high out of buying a new cookie cutter shape you get a shopping high when you buy some new baking goods?

What have you all got stored away and what do you find you use the most when it comes to cake tins etc.

I find the loaf tin and cake tin are used a lot but most of all my baking trays.

Love love love my rolling pin, it's a bit 'un lol those heavy red silicone ones it's great for rolling out pastry and dough..then again so are regular wooden ones.

Latest buzz was from getting a really good ring/bundt tin thing (you know the one with the hole in the center oh and a new pastry brush.

Am going to treat myself to a nutmeg/mini grater this week methinks.

Sad but true.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Oh I know exactly what you mean! Baking utensils are something I cannot put down...shoes,handbags, no problem, but a crisp cookie cutter or a teflon pan and I'm sold.

I've even (:o) visited catering supplies places to just look at their cement mixer sized kitchenaids! And as for a kitchen aid itself, that's my ultimate goal.

My favourite posession has to be my new cherry red kmix hand held mixer, it flies through everything. Second comes my panasonic sd255 breadmaker. Then my set of ikea spatulas that are so fine at the edge, yet flexible silicone, just so useful. Then there is my crepe maker from lidl that I make oatmeal pancakes on every day. Great for griddle scones, flatbread, you name it.

Cookie cutters...my prize posession is a bonio shaped cutter (for making human size scooby snacks!) that I bought in a tiny metalwork shop in Soverign Hill, Ballerat, Australia. Dog bone shaped cookies are so cute...and perfect for dunking!

You'll find me loitering in the baking section of TK maxx most weekends, eyeing up the merchandise. And buying it, just a little bit.:o

So to answer your question Guineapigrescue, yes, I share your obsession :o:pac:

We're not sad, we're cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Galwaymother

I agree with you Openbake about these spatulas, though I think mine is from Habitat (oooh, can't resist that shop, fortunate it closed in Galway :rolleyes:). I CAN'T bake without it, the only downside being that my daughters get less cake dough to lick off the bowl and spoon!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

i love my silicone spatulas and spoonulas, cannot live without them..

getting a kitchen aid when i get married next year (have had a deal on with my mother for about 13 years)...

i love my cupcake tins, they're deep and heavy and great.
    i have really great egg shaped mixing bowls (nigella ones from years ago) and they're great!

then there's the collection of about 8 aprons - the essential baking accessory!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

recently bought a kenwood chef classic. It's awesome!!! does everything and more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭tscul32

My kenwood chef and silicon spatulas from Dunnes are my 'wouldn't give ups'.
    And I posted on that cookie cutter thread too, must have near 200.
    Also have tons of baking tins, not to mention decorating equipment and supplies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

mmmm silicone spatulas.... the best invention ever.

I love my re-usable silicone grease proof paper for my baking tins. It means that I can finally get my flapjacks out in one piece.

Also love my little handy chopper for chopping nuts, chocolate and anything else.

Am trying to learn how to use icing bags at the moment, so my cupboard is filling up with piping stuff at the moment. If only I had as much technique!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭washiskin

My addiction is so bad I have 2 huge plastic lidded-containers in one of the spare sheds fullof baking trays, cutters etc.

I adore my Kitchenaid Mixer - have it about 7 years and it has more than given me the cost of it back in great food.

I also love those Dunnes silicone spoon/spatulas and I also have a little 4 drawer thingy stuffed with Cake Decorating stuff.

At the risk of sounding like an idiot, I recently purchased a Kitchenaid Food Processor - it hasn't made it out of the box yet though :o

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭biddywiddy

I got a KitchenAid a couple of months ago and it is incredible. Hauled it all the way back from the states - they are so much cheaper there! Now plotting to start collecting the attachments! If I get the ice-cream maker attachment I'll need a bigger freezer.....hmmm

I love my silicone spatulas too, and my big mixing bowl (thank you TK Maxx!). I think my round springform tin gets the most use, but i need more sizes I think. I only have one big one and some cakes end up a bit too thin. I have measuring cups that measure in american cup sizes which takes the hassle out of converting recipes. Great stuff!

I got a little Kenwood chopper a couple of weeks ago and it is great! I've used it to chop nuts for a cake and I made pastry (in two batches) in it last night (couldn't be bothered taking out the big food processor!).

Somehow I have managed to gather 3 different types of icing bag but I rarely use them. I think my hands aren't steady enough to ice things properly!

I'm not big into cookie cutters, but I do have alot of muffin trays, baking trays, pie dishes, ramekins, pudding bowls etc Oh and I love my bread maker (Panasonic SD255, like OpenBake). Going to make pizza dough in it this evening :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Definetely my Kenwood chef, all my aunties and uncles went together and got it for me for my 21st. Silicone spatulas are also an essential in my kitchen.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

The Kenwood chef, I'd say. It just does everything. I've been so happy since I discovered the attachment that thinly slices things, it really takes to hassle out of making potato dauphoise.

Other than that, my muffin tray was a good investment. I love making giant sized muffins in it - in fact, I've a batch of carrot cake muffins in the oven right now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Got myself the mini nutmeg grater, only 1.99 but delighted with it. Saves having to wash a big grater every time as well.

I love my red Kenwood mixer and it hasn't let me down but I'm slowly veering towards a Kitchenaid well frankly because I'm a bit of a sheep lol.
    It seems every tv chef seems to have one..not that this should be a good reason but they all seem to use them so they must be good.
    At least they come in red.

Along the kitchen lines my dream is also to get a Delonghi 4 slicer toaster and the matching kettle.

I got a good quality cooling rack for Xmas a couple of years back and there's really no need any ould cooling rack does the job but I love it. It's sturdy and just makes the cookies etc. look so much more yummy when sitting on a nice cooling rack.

Oo nuther thing I need to get is a large spoon, a slotted on and a regular one.

@ senelra roughly how much in the difference is it between a kitchenaid in the states and here, was it hard trying to pack it or did you just leave it in the box

Edited to add: Seen TK Max mentioned a few times in the foodie sections here, never seen their baking stuff there was one in Kilkenny I think but they closed if I remember rightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭biddywiddy

@ senelra roughly how much in the difference is it between a kitchenaid in the states and here, was it hard trying to pack it or did you just leave it in the box

With the exchange rate at the time it worked out at €240. Got it in Williams-Sonoma in San Francisco. They seem to be up on €500 here. Some Williams-Sonoma stores carry a small range of UK/EU voltage KitchenAids, so you don't need to buy a voltage converter. There are less colours available though (I think black, silver and white only). You can just buy a US one and use a voltage converter but you will void your warranty. In fact, I'm not even that sure about my warranty as I bought it in the States (even though it's 220V).

Anyway, I left it in the box and brought it as hand luggage. Well, my boyfriend carried it. I was busy carrying a glass cake stand :D

No problems bringing it on the SF - London flight. We were worried about the London - Dub flight, but as our luggage was already checked through, we just cleared security (where it was scanned) and got onto the plane.

Well worth it!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I have a Kenwood Chef Premier and I adore it! Our second Kenwood in over 15 years. I find they have much more power than the Kitchen Aid. TK Maxx had Chefs in Blanchardstown last week for about €300 IIRC.

I love palette knives and spatulas, always handy. Got a great set of cookie cutters in Ikea last week. They're forest animals!

Advertisement