Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shoes and pedals

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

No and they may not be what you want. Unless you're using them for racing, you're better off with SPD shoes and pedals rather than the SPD-SL ones you have linked to.

Have a read of this thread and this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I disagree that proper road pedals are only good for racing. I happily used Looks for a couple of years in the nineties without going anywhere near a race.

Cycling. The clue is in the title. Leave the walking to the golfers.

That's all. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Leaving the spd-sl v spd debate aside for a moment, those shoes are not compatible with those pedals.

They have the 3 bolt pattern for spd-sl cleats whereas the pedals are for 2 bolt spd cleats.

What type of riding do you intend to do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Also, I had those A520s and found them awful, the worst of both worlds.

The grip was very poor on the flat side, and the cleat side never presented itself when clipping in.

There are other designs of dual sided pedals that may be more appropriate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

niceonetom wrote: »
    those shoes are not compatible with those pedals.

They have the 3 bolt pattern for spd-sl cleats whereas the pedals are for 2 bolt spd cleats.

Gah! Didn't even cop that. Just looked at the outer frame and thought "road pedal"...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 BrianPatten

What type of riding do you intend to do?
    I plan to race in the future but this is purely for getting fit,
    I think i will get the Shimano R105 SPD SL Road Shoes
    but before i make any silly mistakes what pedals do you recommend to go with the shoes from chainreaction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Well, if you intend to race then a three bolt system with those shoes is the right way to go. If you'd said it was for commuting or touring I'd say go with mountain bike shoes and pedals, but not for road racing.

There are a whole load of different pedal systems out there; look, time, shimano, speedplay and they all work. It's a bit of a religious issue really. I use shimano spd-sl (cheapo 540s), which is a bit odd, but they're very functional, if a bit heavier than the carbon stuff. Look are probably the most common, and have a lot of fans. Speedplay are expensive, but have the advantage of being double-sided and allowing adjustable "float" which can help those with knee issues... Time make a very satisfying thunk when they engage the cleat (but they do seem to be slightly fragile)...

If I were buying again for the first time I'd probably get some variety Look keos.

If budget was no issue I'd get these.

Advertisement