Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunningdale Agreement help?

Options
  • 05-05-2010 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone, hope you are all well and study is working out.

My history teacher reckons that these are tge questions i should prepare for Sunningdale. Thing is I have no clue how to tackle ant of them...

These are the titles:

Why was their widespread sectarian conflict in NI by 1969?

Why did the PowerSharing executive fail in NI?

What steps were taken to establish a power-sharing executive?

I know you guys are thinking wow how dumb is fufureida? Lol but the thing is I did these and thought I was doing them right but only hot 20 outta 40 for them... So I dunno if anyone has sample answers notes or if anyone could type up a quick plan for these questions? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated because I really need it at this stage... God damn history...!

Thanks guys xxx God bless.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

44 views and not a single post? Come on guys...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

The first two are the same really.

• Had to keep the minority in their place.
    • Fear of the Council or Ireland. Would it lead to a united Ireland?
    • Speeches by politicians in the South. Kevin Boland's case in the high courts that the council of ireland was unconstitutional. Made unionists scared.
    • Such widespread opposition in the NI parliament. White paper proposals. Pro-whites and anti-whites (not sure of the actual term).
    • IRA
    • The indecisiveness of Merylnn Rees. Wouldn't call in the army.
    • Strike.
    Each of those would be a paragraph if you can decipher my short hand:p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭cml387

(Jeez I lived through all this...)

The power sharing agreement failed in the end because of the widespread opposition to it amongst the unionists.
    Specifically look up the UWC (ulster workers council) strike,and the effect on power supplies when the workers at Ballylumford power station downed tools.

On the other side..the PIRA did not support it either-compare it to the 1997 agreement when SF were on board after the ceaefire.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

I doubt they're going to ask anything but the failure, as the case study is technically known as "The Failure of the Sunningdale Agreement" so..

zam wrote: »
    I doubt they're going to ask anything but the failure, as the case study is technically known as "The Failure of the Sunningdale Agreement" so..

Are you sure about this? Then why do they go over do much in history seminars for this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

zam wrote: »
    Of course they could.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

fufureida wrote: »
    Are you sure about this? Then why do they go over do much in history seminars for this?

No well I wouldn't take that too seriously, by all means take a history teacher's word over mine! But my history teacher reckons they'll lean more towards the failure as that is what the actual case study is called and also all of the sample papers by the department focus on that. However they could most certainly ask anything about it for contextualisation, but it's likely they'll lean towards failure.

Does anyone have a sample answer on the failures or know where I can get 1? Wud be greatly appreciated!

theowen wrote: »

• Speeches by politicians in the South. Kevin Boland's case in the high courts that the council of ireland was unconstitutional. Made unionists scared.
    • Such widespread opposition in the NI parliament. White paper proposals. Pro-whites and anti-whites (not sure of the actual term).
    • IRA
    • Strike.

What is a good conclusive paragraph to this essay? I'm after doing it with all these points included but I'm not sure how to conclude it well... I don't just wanna summarise I wanna go beyond the question a little. Any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭fauxshow

theowen wrote: »

• IRA
    • Strike.

I'd add in that a huge factor regarding the failure was the fact that Edward Heath and Westminster did not prioritise Northern Ireland, and got distracted by the Oil Crisis, pulling out William Whitelaw at a crucial point in negotiations.

A concluding paragraph would be to summarise the reasons for failure you've already explained, and reference the Good Friday Agreement, saying that the reason GF worked was because Northern Ireland was a priority for Westminster at this time etc. and close on the quote from John Hume about GF being ''Sunningdale for slow learners.''

• Advertisement

Thanks a bunch! Managed to squeeze a bit of that in at the end. Jeez I hope my darn essay is good now...:/

I know this is off topic but does anyone have sample answers or at least notes for the apprentice boys of Derry stuff?

Gonna reread the case studies in the book to get a grasp of them again... I'm pretty rusty!

Advertisement