Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Identification -cancelled passport

• 05-05-2010 7:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭

Hey guys

Im going to Florida pretty soon on a holiday and was I know theyre pretty strict on id over in the states. Do they accept a cancelled passport as a form of id, I hate bringing my passport out when im on holiday im always terrified i'll lose it and end up stranded in a foreign country, prefer it to be in the hotel safe :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

If they ID you then a valid passport will be pretty much all they'll accept in my experience. They looked at me funny when I showed them an Irish DL and age card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Hey guys

Im going to Florida pretty soon on a holiday and was I know theyre pretty strict on id over in the states. Do they accept a cancelled passport as a form of id, I hate bringing my passport out when im on holiday im always terrified i'll lose it and end up stranded in a foreign country, prefer it to be in the hotel safe :)

Cant say for 100% sure as some states and cities (and anal bouncers) are more strict than others. My buddy was stopped from entering a bar when using his expired passport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭Fallen Buckshot

yeah expired anything is a dice roll .. I know if its your pic on it and it has all valid info expired or not it should be a valid form of ID but alot of people want to be Jerks about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭TheJeanGenie

yeah some people just want to be jerks i guess

what if i even got a photocopy of my valid passport, would it help having that and the cancelled passport?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

90% of Americans dont know what a passport is. They use Drivers licences as ID. And they never leave the country. Most states even give out ID's that look like drivers licences but arent for non-drivers.

Even if by some miracle the thief knew what a passport was, the US ones are blue.

So dont worry about your passport being nicked. It wont happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

it very much depends on where you go.....like a previous poster said some bouncers can be very anal.....you mention florida, i know that the miami bouncers can be very strict, orlando not so much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

yeah some people just want to be jerks i guess

what if i even got a photocopy of my valid passport, would it help having that and the cancelled passport?

v unlikely as that would be way easier to forge

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,267 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Doubt that anyone over here will accept a photocopy ID. They want original docs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

As a former barman in the States, let me just say that you will not get in with photocopies of anything or anything expired.

Bring your passport or don't go out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Crazy as it may seem...

Bars and clubs in the US are under constant assault from authorities wanting to revoke their licences for serving the underaged.

And because of the crazy age limits its not easy to tell who's legal, hence the need for ID.

And the amount of forged ID out there is epidemic, every college kid knows where to get fake ID saying they're over 21.

This is the culture. I wasnt kidding when I said 90% of americans dont have passports.

So you can imagine that handing a photocopy of an irish passport to an overworked underpaid bouncer will probably get you a smack in the mouth. He's never seen an irish passport before so why would he accept a photocopy? You'd stand a better chance with a letter from your mum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Also, I have run into a few places that won't even accept passports. There are a few pubs and the local chain groceries won't accept anything without a physical description on it. Riots almost broke out when that happened!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 mmprine

With all the uproar here in the US right now (Arizona) about imigration I would renew your passport to be on the safe side. As some of the other posters said...the TSA authorities can be pretty anal sometimes... especially if they just woke up from their nap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Why not bring your driving licence? Although Irish ones DO look fake, lol! In some random places I've had to ask to see the manager because the employees sometimes said "How are we supposed to know what an Irish driving licence should look like?".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

lil_lisa wrote: »
    Also, I have run into a few places that won't even accept passports.

That's bad, AFAIK they are legally obliged to accept your passport unless they have a reason to believe it's not you or it's fake.
    bkehoe wrote: »
    Why not bring your driving licence? Although Irish ones DO look fake, lol! In some random places I've had to ask to see the manager...

That's not a valid form of ID in the US. Most bars I've been to have a sign saying they accept only State ID, State Driver's Licence, Military ID or Passport. That said I've been to places where they have accepted my drivers licence and places that accepted my Garda ID (probably have a better chance with that than our stupid driver's licence!), I've also been told to get on my bike when I showed my driver's licence at some places.

Advertisement