Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

info needed - cost of x-rays??

Options
  • 05-05-2010 7:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Hi hoping someone can help, I'm wondering how much it costs in Ireland to get a dogs legs x-rayed? Had an incident yesterday where I accidently stepped on my puppy. He cried when it happened then seemed fine so we continued on our walk but he has been limping all day today. We have an appointment at the vet booked for friday if it hasn't resolved itself by then. If its still sore they'll feel the leg but if they can't tell by that he'll have to have an x-ray. I know this is going to be expensive but I'm hoping someone can give me an estimate so we can prepare ourselves! Thanks a lot in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I'm not really sure since I've never had it done. But the vet might be able to tell if it's broken (and how badly) without an X-ray (by feeling it, by the type of swelling, etc, is it swollen actually?). My old dog got knocked down and smashed her hip and broke loads of ribs (she totally recovered though) and the vet could just feel it. He didn't X-ray her or do anything except give her an injection for shock, so it was really cheap . . . but he was a large animal vet mainly. A small animal vet would probably want to X-ray it.

I kinda think that if he is limping, but still walking on it, then it is probably not too bad. Hopefully . . .

I hope it isn't broken anyway and he'll be feeling better soon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Is the leg swollen? He could of just bruised it so hopefully it's just a bad bruise. An X-Ray can cost around €70.00 depends on the vet though.
    If you have a regular vet I don't see why they might let you pay in two installments perhaps over 2 weeks, no harm in asking.

This is why dog insurance is so handy esp. for puppies had our guy insured because knowing my luck I figured he'd probably swallow something or get stepped on etc. happily he's had no problems but it's good peace of mind.
    For a similar price of an X-ray you could get him insured so if he turns out to be ok (or even if he does need treatment) it might be worth you going for it.

Allianz.ie are one insurer that cover pets.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

The vet will most likely be able to tell if it's broken from an examination and won't xray unless absolutely necessary. A consult should cost around 60 euro, painkillers/anti-inflammatories if needed would add between 10-30 quid onto that depending on type, duration and size of dog.

That's all depending on the vet and the treatment required. I'd personally budget 150 for a worst case scenario and hope to have good news lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Jennyfer

My dog broke her leg in Feb and as far as I remember the x-ray was in the region of 80 euro, am not 100% because there was a long long list on breakdown of the initial bill but am pretty sure the xray was around that price mark.

And if you havent got pet insurance Id seriously advise you to get some, my bill ran up to over 2000 in total over the 2 months it took for her leg to heal :(

Have since bought some and its only 14 euro a month, kicking myself I didnt have it before!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I don't think that pet insurance would cover this leg injury though, since it's already happened. But it might be good for the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

morganafay wrote: »
    I don't think that pet insurance would cover this leg injury though, since it's already happened. But it might be good for the future.

No they wont cover it, there is a 14 days waiting period with Allianz before you can use your insurance. We pay 18 a month for one Yorkie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Jennyfer

No, insurance wont cover anything thats pre-existing of course - I was just advising for the future

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

My guy had x-rays done a few weeks ago of his back, legs/hips and it was approx €230 for the xrays, pain killers and anestetic. Luckily we have him insured and as we'd paid €71 the week before for the initial visit (he was lame and it had'n't cleared up after the week so he had to go back for xrays) we just needed to pay the extra €4 to make up the €75 excess!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 rosiejosie

Hi thanks everyone for replies. I'm pretty sure it's not broken, it doesn't seem swollen, and he can put some weight on it, it seems a bit better today, he is still favouring it but so far it seems better than yesterday thank god. I've been giving him Arnica pretty much since he started limping so if it's just bruised thats probably helping. We'll take him to the vet anyway just to make sure. The x-rays sound cheaper than I thought, I was imagining well over 100e!
    Oh just saw tk123s post - yeah it's everything else that pushes the price up. Insurance is something we'll obviously have to think about, but we have 3 dogs so we'll have to weigh up the cost I suppose.
    Thanks again, i'll try to put up a picture of the little monster.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

rosiejosie wrote: »
    Oh just saw tk123s post - yeah it's everything else that pushes the price up.

Sorry I should have said - our guy was/still is lame and it was switching sides so they took loads of xrays of his back/hips/legs to rule out any joint problems because he's a golden retriever - luckily his hips are good so it looks like it's just down to his growth. If it's just the one leg I'm sure yours will be much cheaper if needed! I hope your guy is ok! It's awful to see them in pain!! Our guy does obidience so I worked on some of his stuff like leave it/take it, look etc -anything he could do while sitting/lying down to use up some of his energy so he wasn't going stir crazy and trying to run around and ending up do more damage.

• Advertisement
Advertisement