Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

decisions to make

Options
  • 05-05-2010 7:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

I'm just looking for a bit of advice here on what to do. Basically i'm finishing radiography this year with a 2.1 degree but i really want to do medicine. If i don't try i know i'm going to regret it for the rest of my life. i'm 22 and got 545 points in the leaving cert back in 2006.I basically have a few options and i'm wondering which one is the best route.

(1) I've applied to hungary and basically been accepted for the 5 year medicine degree in budapest. But i'm wary because of the obvious problems of moving away from home, learning a new language, plus the problems i've heard from other people on here of getting a position in ireland after i finish the degree.

(2) I could also work for a year as a radiographer in ireland and apply for a graduate courses in the UK and ireland. I'm under the impression that i'd have two chances at doing well in the GAMSAT in september and march. The problem here is of course that there are no guarantees i'd get a place. I understand that there are going to be a lot of applications and it's fiercely competitive.

(3) Do the first year in budapest but still apply for the UK and Ireland in the hope i get a place in september 12 months. The advantage here is that at least i have a place if unsuccessful next year for a graduate position. The disadvantage is that i'd be basically throwing away 10000 euro if was lucky enough to get a place and i can't really afford to be doing that.

(4) This is really unlikely but is it possible to apply for medicine in australia or new zealand ? I'm guessing the fees would be huge but it's always been a dream of mine to study or work over there.

Thanks for any help. I'd appreciate any thoughts or advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

op, i've moved your thread to the health sciences education forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ant043

Thanks mate. Sorry i didn't realise the forum existed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

no worries :)

you should (hopefully!) get more answers here

• Registered Users Posts: 28 bluewall

Alright Ant,

I'm in a similar position to you, or at least I was this time last year! If I were you I'd also consider the UK route. You go through the CAO equivalent known as UCAS and you get 4 choices. There are plenty of graduate entry courses there also and 5 of them use the GAMSAT as an entry criteria which kind of kills 2 birds with the one stone if and when you apply for the Irish system also. In addition, UK courses are a much more economical option relatively speaking with most courses ranging around £3,000 sterling per year.

I would say that with your degree background that the GAMSAT is definitely worth a shot and like you say if it didn't go well in Sept you can have a second bite of the cherry in March over here. Also, if GAMSAT wasn't your cup of tea there are plenty of 4 year and 5 year courses in the UK that don't look for the GAMSAT so it is perfectly avoidable if needs be.

A good resource to find out about the different UK medical schools and their individual requirements is; www.medschoolsonline.co.uk

With regard studying in Australia, 90% of the courses there require you to sit GAMSAT which then qualifies you for an interview if you get an adequate score. A good resource to find out more about the AUS/NZ med schools is on the forum of new media medicine.com.

As with Eastern Europe, I can't help you on this so it's worth speaking to other people on this forum who are over there now.

As I said, I am in a similar position to you. I am currently holding a place on a graduate entry course in the UK and I'm waiting for the most recent GAMSAT results to come out in the next few weeks to see if I can get a place in Ireland. The above resources I mentioned really helped me this time last year with all of my initial decision making and various application processes.

Best of luck whatever way you go.

bluewall wrote: »
    Alright Ant,

I'm in a similar position to you, or at least I was this time last year! If I were you I'd also consider the UK route. You go through the CAO equivalent known as UCAS and you get 4 choices. There are plenty of graduate entry courses there also and 5 of them use the GAMSAT as an entry criteria which kind of kills 2 birds with the one stone if and when you apply for the Irish system also. In addition, UK courses are a much more economical option relatively speaking with most courses ranging around £3,000 sterling per year.

I would say that with your degree background that the GAMSAT is definitely worth a shot and like you say if it didn't go well in Sept you can have a second bite of the cherry in March over here. Also, if GAMSAT wasn't your cup of tea there are plenty of 4 year and 5 year courses in the UK that don't look for the GAMSAT so it is perfectly avoidable if needs be.

A good resource to find out about the different UK medical schools and their individual requirements is; www.medschoolsonline.co.uk

With regard studying in Australia, 90% of the courses there require you to sit GAMSAT which then qualifies you for an interview if you get an adequate score. A good resource to find out more about the AUS/NZ med schools is on the forum of new media medicine.com.

As with Eastern Europe, I can't help you on this so it's worth speaking to other people on this forum who are over there now.

As I said, I am in a similar position to you. I am currently holding a place on a graduate entry course in the UK and I'm waiting for the most recent GAMSAT results to come out in the next few weeks to see if I can get a place in Ireland. The above resources I mentioned really helped me this time last year with all of my initial decision making and various application processes.

Best of luck whatever way you go.

Thanks for the detailed reply. Some really good information there and i'm definitely leaning towards the uk option. Do you mind me asking whereabouts in the UK have you been offered the place ? Information i've been reading about medicine programmes in Hungary doesn't seem too inviting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭imported_guy

ant043 wrote: »
    Thanks for the detailed reply. Some really good information there and i'm definitely leaning towards the uk option. Do you mind me asking whereabouts in the UK have you been offered the place ? Information i've been reading about medicine programmes in Hungary doesn't seem too inviting.
    not to sound cynical, but are you sure you have a 2.1 in the bag? if not you'll be closed off to ALL irish courses and most of the UK courses (Except 2 i think), so i would still keep an open mind about hungary if i were you, america is another option, along with the carribean (alot of the carribean schools are accredited in all 50 US states and here in europe, e.g saba, ross, xavier, SGU) + carribean is cheaper than USA as well albeit not as cheap as UK, some of them might be cheaper than ireland if you shop around, but i would look for quality of education rather than money if i had the money id be applying to john hopkins and harvard :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Don Keypunch

Maybe OP if you tell us how you did in LC English and Science people on here can judge how they think you will perform in the GAMSAT, with an LC of 545 I cant see you having any probelms getting an offer for GEM in Ireland. I am in a similar situation having finished a BSc in an allied health professional area and am waiting on my second GAMSAT results.

Has everone forgotten that the OP could sit the HPAT and apply as an undergrad ASWELL as doing the GAMSAT, also the OP could apply as a mature stuent to RCSI and TCD aswell. Also there are two HSE sponsored places for practicising AHP'S in NUIG aswell.

not to sound cynical, but are you sure you have a 2.1 in the bag? if not you'll be closed off to ALL irish courses and most of the UK courses (Except 2 i think), so i would still keep an open mind about hungary if i were you, america is another option, along with the carribean (alot of the carribean schools are accredited in all 50 US states and here in europe, e.g saba, ross, xavier, SGU) + carribean is cheaper than USA as well albeit not as cheap as UK, some of them might be cheaper than ireland if you shop around, but i would look for quality of education rather than money if i had the money id be applying to john hopkins and harvard :rolleyes:

Hi yep I'm finished all exams now after completing a final clinical assessment this week so i'm definitely getting a 2.1 from ucd. I'd have to a bit of research about the US cause I have no idea but I'd imagine they would be extremely difficult to get accepted in and would be very costly. Again I've never researched anything about carribean schools yet so I'll have to do that soon. I've researched alot into medical schools in Hungary and opinions are really varied so I don't know really what to think. Some negatives include many oral exams and some teachers failing students on purpose. But this maybe from just disgruntled students who didn't work hard enough. Plus they seem to accept an awful lot of people even individuals who are destined to just drop out in the first and second years. I'm guessing this is to make as much money as possible. So I'm really confused. In truth Ive no idea what route I should take. All I know is that it's all I want to do with my life. Thanks for advice mate. I'll definitely look into the places you mentioned.

Maybe OP if you tell us how you did in LC English and Science people on here can judge how they think you will perform in the GAMSAT, with an LC of 545 I cant see you having any probelms getting an offer for GEM in Ireland. I am in a similar situation having finished a BSc in an allied health professional area and am waiting on my second GAMSAT results.

Has everone forgotten that the OP could sit the HPAT and apply as an undergrad ASWELL as doing the GAMSAT, also the OP could apply as a mature stuent to RCSI and TCD aswell. Also there are two HSE sponsored places for practicising AHP'S in NUIG aswell.

Hi. Unfortunately I only did the one science for the leaving cert. I got an A1 in physics and a B1 in English. Both were at higher level. I actually attempted the hpat last year but missed out by a few points. I didn't realise you could apply for both so thats an extra chance I didn't think of. Would I be able to apply as a mature student at 22 next year ? I'm not 23 till January. Thanks.

With a A1 in physics you would be sorted for the GAMSAT, you will only have to work on organic chemistry which isn't bad at all if you dedicate time to it, I'd say Biology would be no probelm either if you covered some Physiology in your degree, anyways Biology like Org Chem is just more about time than intensity.

I got a B3 in 2005 and got 60 in S1 and S2 so that shouldnt be a probelm either.

If I were you I would only look at eastern europe when you had absolutely exhausted ever other option, and by sittinf the GAMSAT in Sept you can submit an application to UCAS for GEM in the UK and seeing as you have patient contact experience as a radiographer you should have a good chance too.

Another Eastern Europe option would be to look here.

AFAIK you would be able to apply as a mature student if you are over 23 starting the course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

america is another option, along with the carribean (alot of the carribean schools are accredited in all 50 US states and here in europe, e.g saba, ross, xavier, SGU) + carribean is cheaper than USA as well albeit not as cheap as UK, some of them might be cheaper than ireland if you shop around, but i would look for quality of education rather than money if i had the money id be applying to john hopkins and harvard :rolleyes:

With the new method for obtaining Intern jobs you may find it difficult to get back into Ireland if you wanted to train there, if you wanted to train in the US then it's a different story

I don't think he can, he could last year as he wasn't a graduate but once he finishes his degree I thought he had to apply through GEM.

OP, did you do any biology or chemistry in the 1st year of your radiography degree? Like you I had a allied health degree, I did GAMSAT with 6 weeks prep and scored a 63. I think Ireland/UK is the best option in terms on long-term career prospects in Ireland.

america is another option, along with the carribean (alot of the carribean schools are accredited in all 50 US states and here in europe, e.g saba, ross, xavier, SGU) + carribean is cheaper than USA

Imported Guy - note that NO Carribbean schools are LCME accredited.

Imported Guy - note that NO Carribbean schools are LCME accredited.
    in my opinion recoginition from individual state boards is more important, http://www.medbd.ca.gov/applicant/schools_recognized.html here is the list for california, if LCME held any merit we wouldnt have carribbean graduates working in america.

saba/ross/SGU are all recognised by the californian board, along with alot of the eastern euro schools + all irish schools (unlike LCME)

I don't think he can, he could last year as he wasn't a graduate but once he finishes his degree I thought he had to apply through GEM.

No he can there was a vet on here months who was looking into applying as a mature student. The OP can apply as a mature student AND an undergrad AND a graduate all at once, while taking the GAMSAT twice in a year, I would say the graduate route would be your best option.

No he can thre was a vet on here months who was looking into applying as a mature student.
    you can only apply as a mature if you dont have a 2.1, if you are eligable for GEM you are not eligiable for mature, vice-versa

Never heard that before.

in my opinion recoginition from individual state boards is more important, http://www.medbd.ca.gov/applicant/schools_recognized.html here is the list for california, if LCME held any merit we wouldnt have carribbean graduates working in america.

saba/ross/SGU are all recognised by the californian board, along with alot of the eastern euro schools + all irish schools (unlike LCME)

Yes but the medical council in Ireland only has four categories for registration

• Category 1: Graduates of Irish medical schools
    • Category 2: EU citizens who graduated in an EU medical school and/or their qualifications are recognised under EU Directive 2005/36/EC (recognition of professional qualifications for EU citizens)
    • Category 3: Non-EU citizens who graduated in an EU medical school and/or their qualifications would be recognised under EU Directive 2005/36/EC (recognition of professional qualifications) if they were an EU citizen.
    • Category 4: Medical practitioners who have completed recognised internship training, hold full/general registration in another jurisdiction and do not meet the criteria for any of the above categories.

Thus if you do medical school outside the EU, you must do internship training and get full registration abroad before you can get a licence in Ireland. Depending on the OPs career plans it might not be an issue but it's something to be aware of.

Cool i'm getting some really great information here. Although i'm leaning towards uk and ireland applications for next year i'd be interested to here from anyone studying medicine in eastern europe or know of any doctors doing well in ireland after studying there. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭briankirby

ant043 wrote: »
    Cool i'm getting some really great information here. Although i'm leaning towards uk and ireland applications for next year i'd be interested to here from anyone studying medicine in eastern europe or know of any doctors doing well in ireland after studying there. Thanks again.

I can put u in contact with a few students/docs from eastern europe.I am considering it myself but dont think im mature enough to live in a foreign country by myself yet,plus the language is very very tough to learn

briankirby wrote: »
    I can put u in contact with a few students/docs from eastern europe.I am considering it myself but dont think im mature enough to live in a foreign country by myself yet,plus the language is very very tough to learn

i'd seriously appreciate the gesture if you could. It would be nice to speak to a few guys before making a decision.

• Advertisement

I'm still really confused about what decison to make here ? If i decide to go to budapest would it affect me when applying for graduate medicine in UK and Ireland ? I know theres a personal statement for the UCAS application but i'm guessing once i don't mention i'm doing medicine in Hungary i should be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Ant if i was you, a guy who did a very good Leaving Cert and did a Science based undergraduate degree and achieved a 2.1 in it, I would defer going to Hungary for at least a year. Do the GAMSAT, either this sept in UK or next march in Ireland. You have every chance of doing very well and getting accepted to the GEM school of your choice.

If at the end of the day, you find the GAMSAT really difficult and don't get an offer based on your first attempt, then think about accepting the Hungary offer.

My reasoning is: if you've already got accepted to Hungary med school you'll probably get accepted next year too, i wouldn't worry about not getting an offer from Hungary next year (just my presumption).

The cost of relocating and travelling and living in Hungary would out weight any potential benefits of lower fees (?) and lower cost of living compared to living 'at home' in ireland

Med school is difficult enough without living in a foreign city.

Hungarian is a unique language and very difficult to learn, the language issue cannot be ignored.

I know of 2 people that are getting on very well doing Med in Hungary but I don't think they would have went if they felt they'd get a irish gem offer.

That is just my opinion and doesn't take into account any actual medical factors, quality of education, the applicability of your degree here/abroad, the availability of internships etc.

Ant if i was you, a guy who did a very good Leaving Cert and did a Science based undergraduate degree and achieved a 2.1 in it, I would defer going to Hungary for at least a year. Do the GAMSAT, either this sept in UK or next march in Ireland. You have every chance of doing very well and getting accepted to the GEM school of your choice.

If at the end of the day, you find the GAMSAT really difficult and don't get an offer based on your first attempt, then think about accepting the Hungary offer.

My reasoning is: if you've already got accepted to Hungary med school you'll probably get accepted next year too, i wouldn't worry about not getting an offer from Hungary next year (just my presumption).

The cost of relocating and travelling and living in Hungary would out weight any potential benefits of lower fees (?) and lower cost of living compared to living 'at home' in ireland

Med school is difficult enough without living in a foreign city.

Hungarian is a unique language and very difficult to learn, the language issue cannot be ignored.

I know of 2 people that are getting on very well doing Med in Hungary but I don't think they would have went if they felt they'd get a irish gem offer.

That is just my opinion and doesn't take into account any actual medical factors, quality of education, the applicability of your degree here/abroad, the availability of internships etc.

Thanks mate.I know i'm procrastinating big time here. Just disappointed I didn't apply this year i suppose. That is good sound advice right there. For UK entry is there anything i can do this summer to improve my chances of being accepted such as volunteer work or is working as a radiographer daily enough ?

Advertisement