Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reverb Reverb Reverb

• 05-05-2010 7:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭

okay so i would like someone to explain typical uses for there sorts of reverbs

Plate Reverb

Spring Reverb(can never find a use for it)

Room Reverb(kinda obvious but some examples of instruments to use it on would be nice)

also

Long Reverbs

Short Reverbs.

i kinda guess that longer tailed reverbs are for pads and strings aand **** and shorter are for ones that have more punch.

anyway if people could post what typically each is used for that would be awesome:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

I've got a bit of a hard on for reverbs I must say. Try and use them on everything. In general, anything I want to push back I put a long/medium reverb on. Pads, efxs etc.

Anything up front I usually put a room reverb or dry space type (some early reflections but not much decay). Just to give it a bit of presence. Things like mids on basses or lead sounds.

Sometimes I use them for drums, not the main hits but the fills and hihats/cymbals. Not much decay, just something to fill the sound out a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭splitrmx

I use spring reverb all the time. I find it sounds really vintage, especially when you're pushing the springs pretty hard. This little demo just uses one kind of spring reverb for both the synth and drums: http://soundcloud.com/splitrmx/spring-reverb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭shayleon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ICN

shayleon wrote: »

Thanks for that Shay!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

a far more unscientific and most likely entirely wrong explanation by me.....

plates - claps, snares. hall and room reverbs don't sit well with drums in general. plates do. feck it, plates are great for everything. I have the UAD EMT plate plugin and it makes everything sound fcuking epic and expensive.

spring reverbs - I use these a lot for dub-techno stuff. Actually dub stuff in general. Big squawky chords into a dirty spring impulse response and you've got yourself some Basic Channel/Maurizio dubby goodness right there.

Room reverbs I tend to stay away from, except for automated send messing. In which case cut everything below 200hz on the reverb channel.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

You generally can't use a reverb on a bassy kick - it's too noisey and causes phase cancellations. it works great on claps and snares - it's noisy though.

My phavourite is tape reverb - not that it has much uses - but as a reverb it can sound great on some stuff - it detunes as it reverberates - a slow guitar solo - or some slow piano sounds really great through it -

But there's lots of different types of reverb - not just plate, long, short etc

Each device that you use has it's own thing to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭PMI

Also your title is more of a delay than a reverb :D

Reverb Reverb Reverb :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

I'm just listening to pavement song on headphones - When I heard it the first few times I though the guitarist was somekind of genius - I couldn't figure out this amazing sound he was getting on playing really simple notes - I couldn't figure out how he was dropping (like if he was bending - then plucking and dropping the string bend) - well it was all a tape delay - only found out on getting to play with one.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭hubiedubie

krd wrote: »
    You generally can't use a reverb on a bassy kick

True for the most part. Interestingly this technique (reverb on the kick) is used quite a bit in 'berghain' style techno - check out Len Faki, Edit Select or Marcel Dettman

hubiedubie wrote: »
    True for the most part. Interestingly this technique (reverb on the kick) is used quite a bit in 'berghain' style techno - check out Len Faki, Edit Select or Marcel Dettman

yup, add to that list ben klock and shed (especially under his WAX moniker).

• Advertisement

Coincidently - I was ripping a couple of Dettmann / Klock tracks apart today & not really getting anywhere on the Kick sound.

The Hi's only make it sound too thin & the Lo's seem to sound to swampy.

If one were going to make a Evil Cavernous Kick à la The Berghain Crew - How do you reverb the kick?

I'm assuming its ony the top Freq's?

reverb as insert, and tight compressor afterwards. It also helps that Klock uses a kick that's in the Maschine library called Alkaloid 1.

Get stuck in with the eq in space designer to get rid of the muck.

jtsuited wrote: »
    reverb as insert, and tight compressor afterwards. It also helps that Klock uses a kick that's in the Maschine library called Alkaloid 1.

Get stuck in with the eq in space designer to get rid of the muck.

Helps if you have it yeah! LOL ;)

Cool - Will try that. Cheers JT

ICN wrote: »
    Helps if you have it yeah! LOL ;)

Cool - Will try that. Cheers JT

just be prepared for a good bit of trial and error. I spent a good full day trying to nail the sound and eventually never used it because it sounded far far far too close to THAT berghain sound.

jtsuited wrote: »
    just be prepared for a good bit of trial and error. I spent a good full day trying to nail the sound and eventually never used it because it sounded far far far too close to THAT berghain sound.

Yeah I know..

I made a couple of things to get that kinda glitchy, almost out of time Perc that you hear in those sort of tracks.. so I know exactly what you mean.

It sounded too much like it to be used.. especially with a big boomy kick in the background!

Ah sure, its all just a bit of practice! Interesting to figure out.

Advertisement