Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zeroed the T3 at last!

Options
  • 05-05-2010 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭

Finally got out and zeroed the T3 today, conditions weren't the best, but I wasnt going waiting anymore!

This was my first time zeroing a rifle and I must say I was woefully ill prepared!

There was a few things I didnt take into consideration.

Firstly, I was using Shoot N-C targets, big 12 inch ones that I used when I had the pistol, not a good idea, very hard to get a point of aim.
    I should of printed off a few with the multiple aiming points.

Secondly I should have borrowed a decent set of binos, to see my fall of shot.

I done all my zeroing prone, not a good idea for zeroing, things would have been so much easier sitting at a bench.

I also should have brought a ruler, it would have saved on ammo.

When I went to adjust the turrets the allen key I had was damaged and would not fit into the grub screw, I ended up using the ball end, it opened the first three and snapped off in the last one.
    Had to go back home (1.5miles away) and get another allen key, should have checked all this in the first place:rolleyes:

Anyway finally got started, I didn't have access to a bore sighter, so I threw up the first target at 30 yards, I was about 8 inches low and 6 inches left.

Then I moved out to 50, still doing OK so went out to 100.

I started off with the 55gr American Eagle HP's, which were ok.

I was eager to see how the 55gr Sellier & Bellot HP's performed, so I tried them next.
    I couldn't get them to group at all, €17 for a reason, pure dung!

Remmington Accutips were next on the menu, definitely worth the extra few quid, the difference in the size of the groups is something else!

I'm still waiting for the bush for the rear of my mod, so I'll have to zero again when I get that, I'll try and get some pics up then!

All in all I learned a lot today and cant wait to get out again, hopefully get out at the weekend if the weather is good and maybe get some bunnies!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

best of luck with her. those bore sighters are finnicky gimmicky yokes anyway, no need for them starting at 30 yds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

cheers Jonty, cant wait to do a bit of experimenting at different ranges when I get a bit more confident with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

murph226 wrote: »
    Finally got out and zeroed the T3 today, conditions weren't the best, but I wasnt going waiting anymore!

This was my first time zeroing a rifle and I must say I was woefully ill prepared!

Firstly, I was using Shoot N-C targets, big 12 inch ones that I used when I had the pistol, not a good idea, very hard to get a point of aim.

I done all my zeroing prone, not a good idea for zeroing, things would have been so much easier sitting at a bench.

When I went to adjust the turrets the allen key I had was damaged and would not fit into the grub screw, I ended up using the ball end, it opened the first three and snapped off in the last one.
    Had to go back home (1.5miles away) and get another allen key, should have checked all this in the first place:rolleyes:

Anyway finally got started, I didn't have access to a bore sighter, so I threw up the first target at 30 yards, I was about 8 inches low and 6 inches left.

I was eager to see how the 55gr Sellier & Bellot HP's performed, so I tried them next.

Remmington Accutips were next on the menu, definitely worth the extra few quid, the difference in the size of the groups is something else!

I'm still waiting for the bush for the rear of my mod, so I'll have to zero again when I get that, I'll try and get some pics up then!

All in all I learned a lot today and cant wait to get out again, hopefully get out at the weekend if the weather is good and maybe get some bunnies!
    But you can't buy that experience you got. And you will learn more than if everything went right!
    Look forward to see your next post.
    P.S any of your mates loan you a bench rest for zeroing.
    If you Zero @ 100 then dial up 6 clicks leaving you 1.5inches~ high at 100 but bang on at 200 and -7inches~ @300

I have a bench rest if yer REALLY stuck

Cheers Tack, I might try to knock something together here at home, I think there is a thread with links to some designs around here somewhere!

Cheers Tack, I might try to knock something together here at home, I think there is a thread with links to some designs around here somewhere!

No bother, I confused myself recently rescoping a rifle as everything was level except the stock. Took me ages to cop it!

The more ya think ya know, the more ya know, ya don't know!:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

hi murph. well done now your hooked . i have the drops worked out for my rifle out to 500y if you want they should work for you,
    is your pm2 1cm per click or quarter moa or eight moa.

That would be great Poulo, my scope is quarter moa per click, 500 yards sounds daunting, I'll have to work my way up to it!

Cheers Murph

That would be great Poulo, my scope is quarter moa per click, 500 yards sounds daunting, I'll have to work my way up to it!

Cheers Murph

i felt the same way my self but once i tried it i realized just how accurate the tac is. thanks again to shanmol308 for the help.

to be hoist if i can find a place with an opportunity to shoot further i will give it a go, i think i should easily get it out to 800y.

my elevation is in quarter moa clicks so its just a matter of dubbing the clicks. eg 0 at 100, @200 6 clicks or 1.5moa yours 12 clicks also 1.5 moa. @300 16 clicks or 4 moa yours 32 clicks also 4 moa.

i cant think of the rest off the top of my head but i will send them on tomorrow.

you will still need to fine tune it to your own rifle but it will bring you very close if not bang on ;)

Cheers Poulo, I'll give that a lash at the weekend!

Cheers Poulo, I'll give that a lash at the weekend!

I may try making out a chart. I'll give it a go one of these days using an excel spread sheet.

I made one years ago for a .22 long since lost. There are several ballistic's calculators on line now that will do it for you. I don't know how accurate are they though!

• Advertisement

I may try making out a chart. I'll give it a go one of these days using an excel spread sheet.

I made one years ago for a .22 long since lost. There are several ballistic's calculators on line now that will do it for you. I don't know how accurate are they though!

they are only there or thereabouts. alot of stuff comes into play that would be relevant to your own rifle. barrel length twist rate heavy or light barrel to name a fiew.

poulo6.5 wrote: »
    they are only there or thereabouts. alot of stuff comes into play that would be relevant to your own rifle. barrel length twist rate heavy or light barrel to name a fiew.

A bit like the angle of the Dangle Paulo ;)

Very critical in all calculations :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

Paulo, I think the OP's scope is the same as yours as he said his worked in quarter MOA also?

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Thomasofmel

Sounds too familiar - nothing ever goes smoothly :P But once you get going it is really enjoyable. I zeroed my CZ .223 few weeks back and have been shooting on few occasions afterwards - using Remington 55g fulls for targets and hollow points for hunting :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭SD308

JBM Ballistics

A great ballistic calculator. You should be able to get the relevant bullet info such as BC and muzzle velocity from the manufactures web site. Make sure you measure your "sight height" accurately from the center line of your barrel to the center line of your scope.

Stephen.

patsat wrote: »
    Paulo, I think the OP's scope is the same as yours as he said his worked in quarter MOA also?

ya your right. my bad. i was up late last night.:o:o

A bit like the angle of the Dangle Paulo ;)

Very critical in all calculations :D

only if you factor in the sag of the bag and as long as the throb of the knob remains constant :p:p

Advertisement