Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why does my mobile not work in the UK?

Options
  • 05-05-2010 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭

I bought a SE C905 phone on ebay last year. It was locked to the Orange network. I unlocked it myself, using Aerix software and inserted an O2 SIM. Bingo.

In the last few months I have been to 3 different European countries and the phone has connected fine to whatever network. However when I go to Northern Ireland, or mainland UK, I am getting the message "SIM Inactive". I have called O2 while being in the UK, and according to them everything is set up fine....they can even see that I am in the UK! Their best technical minds cannot figure it out.

Can anybody shed some light on what is going on with UK roaming and what I can do about it?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Contact Orange with the IMEI of the phone and ask them if it's blacklisted.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭mooneyd

yea Id say its blacklisted.
    maybe the previous owner sold it and said it was lost/stolen and made an insurance claim and the network barred & blacklisted the account

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

Random wrote: »
    Contact Orange with the IMEI of the phone and ask them if it's blacklisted.
    mooneyd wrote: »
    yea Id say its blacklisted.
    maybe the previous owner sold it and said it was lost/stolen and made an insurance claim and the network barred & blacklisted the account

Thanks guys,

I will contact Orange tomorrow. If it is blacklisted, will they lift it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

gebbel wrote: »
    Thanks guys,

More than likely not.

More than likely not as (and im not saying you did) they dont know if you have stolen the handset or not.

Say it to them and try but... chance's are bleak.

• Advertisement

T-Mobile have an automated blacklist checker service at +44 7956 125820. Enter the IMEI and it will tell you if the phone has been blacklisted or not.

But will it check across all providers?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,238 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

gebbel wrote: »
    Thanks guys,

Have you the original receipt? If not I doubt they will lift it. It could have been taken illegally or the IMEI could have been cloned and it'll stay blacklisted and may become blacklisted here yet and other countries.

Maybe sell it to someone who won't be going to the UK and get some of your money back.

mooneyd wrote: »
    But will it check across all providers?

The UK networks share a common database so I'd assume it would.

Ahh not so bad,
    Over here It seems like if you want common info best bet is call into CPW and hope that the person or phone was in there or came from there. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Karsini wrote: »
    The UK networks share a common database so I'd assume it would.
    CEIR blacklist is the name for those interested.

Have you the original receipt? If not I doubt they will lift it. It could have been taken illegally or the IMEI could have been cloned and it'll stay blacklisted and may become blacklisted here yet and other countries.

Maybe sell it to someone who won't be going to the UK and get some of your money back.

I don't have a receipt. I bought it on ebay. I cannot even view the transaction now as it is over 90 days old so I cannot even provide proof of purchase. I will contact Orange later on and post what they say.

Fingers crossed for you.

Karsini wrote: »
    T-Mobile have an automated blacklist checker service at +44 7956 125820. Enter the IMEI and it will tell you if the phone has been blacklisted or not.

Yes, the blacklist checker revealed that the phone was reported as lost or stolen! I also rang Orange and they said tough. So no roaming in the UK for me with this phone then! Wouldn't mind getting my hands on the thug who sold it to me though.

Sorry to hear gebbel. I suppose your just lucky your living in ireland imagine if it was somone who lived in the UK who bought it,

Advertisement