Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stair na Gaelige - how much to learn?

Options
  • 05-05-2010 9:04pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭

According to my Irish teacher (who isn't great, tbh) there are two types of Stair na Gaeilge - Stair na Litríochta and Stair na Teanga. He says they ask roughly half of the questions from Stair na Litríochta and half from Stair na Teanga. Is this true?

Therefore, is it possible to learn only Stair na Teanga (which is things like Ogham, Canúintí etc.) and leave out Stair na Litríochta, and still be able to answer what comes up (you only pick 2). There are less topics in Stair na Teanga, so if my teacher is correct, I have less to learn but just as much choice.

Does this make sense? Is it a good idea or should I learn both types of Stair na Gaelige?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Well, what I plan on doing is learning 5 or so of the poets, the aisling, ruraiocht, and sometihng else. Didnt know there was a difference between stair litriochta/teanga

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Yeah I'm not sure but my Irish teacher only does Stair na Litríochta with us. That and all the poets on the course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭*giggles*

Never heard about that, tbh. I'm learning the Higher Level poets and about 5 other topics like Meath na Gaeilge (Athbheocan na Gaeilge is usually tied in with that as well). What a strange coinky dink that the exact same titles came up 2 years in a row. Blunder or just trying to trick students?

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭irish_man

An Fhiannaíocht will definitely come up
    so that leaves one other part.
    canúint, dánta grá or something.
    i haven't done much for it yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭*giggles*

Would anyone mind explaining to me the 2 parts to Stair? Never heard of it before. Mucho thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Ronan Keating

Can you really afford to leave out some poets? What happens if the come up?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Can you really afford to leave out some poets? What happens if the come up?

Skip those poets..Or the question :p

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭3_BOoYA_X

You can leave out all the poets & just study stair na teanga. You'l need to learn : an fhianniocht, ruraiocht, aisling pholaitiuil, bealoidis, filiocht na mbord, an gaeilge sa mean cumarsaide, ogham, na lobhainn, gaeilge mar teanga ceilteach, meath na gaeilge sa naou haois deag, athbheochan na gaeilge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

3_BOoYA_X wrote: »
    You can leave out all the poets & just study stair na teanga. You'l need to learn : an fhianniocht, ruraiocht, aisling pholaitiuil, bealoidis, filiocht na mbord, an gaeilge sa mean cumarsaide, ogham, na lobhainn, gaeilge mar teanga ceilteach, meath na gaeilge sa naou haois deag, athbheochan na gaeilge.

Thank God I switched to ordinary :D.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Thanks for that. It's still a lot though! I can't believe all that learning is just worth the same marks as the sliocht in the oral!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

I asked my teacher on Friday and she said there hasnt been 2 defined parts to the course since the old course (2000 I think it changed?)

I dont learn any poets at all, I think I'd struggle trying to distinguish different info, places of birth and all that shiz!

I'm the same, I'll just be learning an fhianniocht, ruraiocht, aisling pholaitiuil, bealoidis, filiocht na mbord, an gaeilge sa mean cumarsaide, ogham, na lobhainn, gaeilge mar teanga ceilteach, meath na gaeilge sa naou haois deag, athbheochan na gaeilge. 4 weeks to do it, 3 a week and you've it all learned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 feargswalsh69

it's only 30 marks not worth the effort at all...it should be predictable after last year so just learn 6 tipped topics....and i'd say you'll be ok

it's only 30 marks not worth the effort at all...

:eek:

Its worth 17% of your paper two grade! 5 % overall!

Its worth 17% of your paper two grade! 5 % overall!

yes but if you were to learn the amount some people suggest you would be spending nearly the same amount of time on it as the essay or even the oral which are worth a vast amount of marks compared to this stupid section of the course...speaking from personal experience,and i think i am entitled to since i got an A2 last year,if you are learning anything more than 8 topics for stair na gaeilge you are wasting your time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 BarbiePink

yes but if you were to learn the amount some people suggest you would be spending nearly the same amount of time on it as the essay or even the oral which are worth a vast amount of marks compared to this stupid section of the course...speaking from personal experience,and i think i am entitled to since i got an A2 last year,if you are learning anything more than 8 topics for stair na gaeilge you are wasting your time

What would you consider to be the most important stair na gaeilge to learn then? :confused: And did you do a Thig na Tit Orm by any chance, how many prepared answers should be learnt?:rolleyes:

Your a2 grade shouldnt mean your entitled to disregard the history of irish as "stupid". :rolleyes: Its part of the course that actually has a meaning to learn.

BarbiePink wrote: »
    What would you consider to be the most important stair na gaeilge to learn then? :confused: And did you do a Thig na Tit Orm by any chance, how many prepared answers should be learnt?:rolleyes:
    i cant remember what stair i did but it was definetley only 5 or 6 topics...last year was a very strange year for stair so alll i can say as regards tips is that any of the topics that came up last year are very unlikely to come up...
    as far as a thig na tit orm is concerned i think i just bought that pink book which is like a simple irish summary of it and learned the ins and outs of the story quite well,which is what the examiners are looking for in that question...

Your a2 grade shouldnt mean your entitled to disregard the history of irish as "stupid". :rolleyes: Its part of the course that actually has a meaning to learn.

you have misunderstood me, i don't find history of irish stupid,in fact with the right teacher it can be extremely interesting,however purely from a grades perspective,the input needed to guarantee a high mark in the section is not equal to the percentage of total marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Snow Leopard

Definitely learn An Fhiannaiocht agus An Ruraiocht. One of those will come up.

Then I suggest learning the following;

An Bealoideas
    An Aisling Pholaitiuil

Then maybe 2 of these;

An Ghaeilge mar Theanga Cheilteach
    Ogham
    An Amhran/An t-Amhran Gra
    Meath na Gaeilge.

I would suggest not learning the poets or writers at all. It's impossible to learn them all and no single poet/writer is guaranteed to come up. If you learn the above you'll be more than covered.

No need to spend too much time learning Stair na Gaeilge but it's a very nice section of the paper if you know your stuff. Very easy to grab the full 30 marks.

Don't try to bluff your way through this section of the paper though, ain't gonna work.

Advertisement