Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What will happen the dogs?

Options
  • 05-05-2010 9:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

With the Greens and the animal activists campaign to kill the greyhound industry, what will happen the dogs if they are successful?
    The dog breeding bill will result in a terrible amount of bitch pups being put to sleep which the green party were told about but chose to ignore, the agenda to ban all forms of hunting is underway and the first animal to suffer will be the greyhound.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 HELEN OF TROY

i have never gone greyhound racing as i feel its cruel to cage dogs and let them all loose after a rabbit but a friend of mind found a stray greyhound with a rope on her neck roaming the roadside in tallaght and a kind lady who runs a shelter took her in. she gets paid by the state for doing this work and she might be able to take in more dogs if the need arises. can they not run dogs on a straight track as i read that they all get injured banging against one and other when they run around in circles and why do they run so many at the same time , coud they not make a race for 2 dogs so they would not get hurted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭tomybhoy

Helen,
    Coursing is about two dogs in a field starting at the same moment to chase a lure, the lure in this case is a hare who is given anything between a 150m-200m head start and has been trained to run for cover (the escape).
    The intention is not to catch or hurt the hare but to test the dogs speed and stamina, the dogs are muzzled in the event the hare does not get to the escape before the dogs get close, the hares agility in the majority of time the dogs get close ensures the hare can actually get to the escape after the dogs get close.
    The number of hares killed by coursing is minimal in comparison to the number of hares killed on the roads but some would campaign against the very people who conserve the hare, Read the Queens University report on the decimation of the hare population in the north since the ban was imposed up there.
    The coursing clubs of Ireland conserve a whole population of hares.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 HELEN OF TROY

thank you for your kindness, i am from south africa and would love to see your dog courses , where in dublin can i go to see this as i will not have studies tonite? i love to see nature and in my country we do not muzle our dogs when we let them chase other animals and why do you do this here? the dog courses you describe is very good and not cruel to the dog like my friend from the usa said happens in her land where the let 8 dogs from cages chase a rabbit round a circular arena and all the dogs are biting themselves trying to catch the rabbit and they all get injurd

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

i have never gone greyhound racing as i feel its cruel to cage dogs and let them all loose after a rabbit

I think you're mixing up racing and coursing.

And it's hares that are used in coursing, not rabbits.

Helen,
    I would suggest that you bring yourself and your friend to a coursing meeting in September of this year and see for yourself what really happens.
    It seems to me that you may be listening to people who misrepresent the sport of coursing and the only way to satisfy yourself that you are been given all the facts is to attend a meeting yourself and watch with your own eyes.
    There are people who use emotive language to turn people who have never been coursing against it, each and every person should attend a meeting IMO and decide then if it is this cruel sport as a minority of misguided people claim.

• Advertisement

Helen,
    This is a video of what happens at a coursing meeting, make your own mind up rather than listening to others.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Xp5i0y0_8Q&feature=player_embedded

Advertisement