Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to Education & VTOS Grant

Options
  • 05-05-2010 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hello folks,

I hope somebody can help me with my query! I am going back to college in September, starting Beauty Theraoy in Crumlin College. I lost my job in April '09 so have been on Jobseekers since. I was told I'd be entitled to the BTEA & VTOS grants but cannot find information anywhere; it's always about one or the other-not both together! (I am aware that they cut the maintenance grant to those on BTEA in the last budget by the way).

SO basically, I'm wondering is it just the BTEA I'll be able to receive, if even that?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

You can get either the BTEA or the grant, but not both. If you've been out of work for a year, you should easily qualify for either the BTEA or the special mature student low income maintenance grant. If you get the BTEA, you still have to apply for the grant, as you will get a grant to cover the registration fees (around 1500 Euro), but no money on top of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭misstierney

Ah, so I can still get my fees paid for? I'm very new to this and find all the information quite overwhelming and it sometimes contradicts itself!

Do you know where I apply to? Thanks for the reply :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

The Grant is applied for via your local Vocational Educational Committee (VEC). Just type VEC and the county you're in into Google and you should find it!

Fees are still free - unless you've already got a 3rd level degree.

Your local Citizen's Information Office should be able to give you all the info you need and the VEC's generally have adult guidance officers to help you out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 araic26

Hi there,
    Im new to all of this too!!
    Quick query, i have asked my local county council about this and cant seem to get a straight answer.
    I went to college 5 years ago, lasted six months then gave up, i was doing a diploma course(dont know what they have changed the name to now), had a grant for that then, got cancelled when i gave up the course(obviously).
    I've applied this year for a higher certificate course, and im wondering will i still be eligible for a grant?? I know they give second chances after 5 years break but would you have to be doing a course at the same level as before??

Advertisement