Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English - LG and GVV

Options
  • 05-05-2010 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

I know there have been some threads on it already but I was wondering if somebody could give me some useful tips for writing on General Vision and Viewpoint and Literary Genre. I found Cultural conetext really easy but its unlikely it would come up this year.

I still can't right much more than a page on these without getting stuck as I really don't know what to talk about. I know generally what they are on but I need some specifics. Sorry for sounding vague but I'm confused and time's running out.
    Thanks

Comments

I don't know much on GVV, but LG is pretty simple one you understand what it's about. Basically you're comparing HOW a story is told. It's heavy on the author's individual techniques. Examples of points could be differences between genre(eg romance/gothic/comedy etc), use of narration, imagery, flashbacks, dialogue, action, how characters are created etc. You should also compare the differences between how novels, plays and films tell their stories ie. plays rely heavily on dialogue, films can use audio/visual, novels rely on description. It's very easy to lapse into paraphrasing the plots of each text in this mode, so be very careful to mention plot only when you're describing how it is created using various techniques.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭RedRebel92

General vision and viewpoint - what aspect of life does the author show us?? is it bleak, pessimistic, depressin?? do we feel sad after reading it?? or is it uplifting, optimistic?? do we feel happy after reading it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 repeatLC

gv + v.... all about how it makes YOU feel and what the author wanted the audience to feel. Basically do u have an optimistic or pessimistic outlook on life after studying this/ these texts.
    Definition- The general vision and viewpoint of a text means the outlook it takes on life. A play, film or novel is rarely neutral about its subjects matter. Texts leave us feeling generally optimistic or pessimistic about what we have read or seen in life in general.

In your essay ud want to concentrate on 3 or 4 headings that u can easily discuss ur 3 texts under. The most easy ones are relationships(love and family can come under this), ending of the text, symbolism and experiences of the central character.
    Most importantly, compare, compare, compare!! The marks are awarded in purpose in relation to how well you compre/contrast the texts. Each paragraph make at least 4 comparisions to ensure your on task. Also refer back to the Q at the start and end of each paragraph, remind the examiner that u are answering the question given!

Hope thats helpfull! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Fete

Thanks guys. You've all really helped.

Advertisement