Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cameras on the N59

Options
  • 05-05-2010 9:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

Anyone know whats the deal with the cameras newly installed on the N59? I only noticed two, there could be more. There's one pointing in the Clifden direction just the Clifden side of the junction with the road heading up the Inagh valley. There's another pointing in the Galway direction near the Cashel crossroads.

I know there have been a couple of bad crashes on the slick tarmac on the corner before the Inagh junction, but don't know of any at the Cashel cross.

They're on long poles attached to permanent road sign poles. They don't look like speed cameras to me. There are dual black wires across the road in a few places, which I think monitor traffic volume?

I'm stumped. Closest I can think of is maybe it's something to do with the wildfires that have been lit lately, but the weather has gone damp now so I don't see the point in that either!

Anyone any wiser?

ATB,

John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

I think they are just dumb car-counters.

LostCovey

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Poster King

I hope it is something to do with them straightening and widening this section of road. That section is the worst section of the Clifden to Galway Road. I certainly doubt that the first one you mention is a speed camera, because the speed limit there is 100kph, being an N road, and the top speed you could risk on the hair pin bend is about 30kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Ruffty^

The exact same thing was setup on the N59 between moycullen and dangan a few months back. I think they had two cameras, one was at the juction with the barna road and the other was further in, past the garden centre. These were on permanent road sign poles too.
    I don't know how long they were there for, but they disappeared again.
    I doubt they are speed cameras, or at least I never saw the flash.
    It could be measuring traffic, there was talk about a new bridge over the corrib this side of galway before the sh1t hit the fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I fairly sure that for speed cameras there has to be signs.

Advertisement