Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Give it up for Harry Redknapp

• 05-05-2010 10:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭

Without doubt the most stunning achievement of the year has been Tottenham Hotspur making the top four.

He deserves all the plaudits after taking over a team that looked a million miles from this only 16 months ago.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Triffic stuff, really triffic.

Nah, let's not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Woooooo \o/

There ya go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

How much money has he spent?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Is it time for him to go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

NO! He's a serial club wrecker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Prediction.

Spurs to get knocked out of preliminary stage, 'Arry heads to Newcastle, Spurs are found to be in an abundance of debt.

'Arry larfs his way all the way to the bank and realises that in Newcastle, club wreck you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Fair Fcuks to them.
    Won't get through the qualifying round though:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

mike65 wrote: »
    NO! He's a serial club wrecker.

What he said. The man deserves no plaudits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Im delighted for him anyway

superb manager

well done harry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Fair Fcuks to them.
    Won't get through the qualifying round though:D

Won't be in the qualifying round - we're coming 3rd ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

kinaldo wrote: »

Officially or under the table?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

i wonder how many cars he's sold in his time?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

That_Guy wrote: »
    that in Newcastle, club wreck you.

hahaha, funniest thing ive read on this forum for a long time.

I dunno, Im still not a fan of Harry. past few years hes been great and he is very clever in the transfer market and generally gets his team playing good football.. but he is slimey and Ive always thought there was an air of mistrust about him.

The Wii ads did him no favours either

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I think Harry Redknappy is a pretty cool guy. eh wrecks clubs and doesnt afraid of anything...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Congrats to Spurs. Really refreshing to see a team with a decent English core to them make it to the CL!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭Berti Vogts

kinaldo wrote: »

Loads but you'd get the impression they were plucky little Spurs by listening to the media!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Respect to Harry and all, but considering the resources Spurs have it's not that fantastic an achievement, certainly not the best of the year. McLeish with Brum, Moyes as ever keeping Everton in the top half on a shoestring and Hodgson's and Grant's cup runs are all better examples of management imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

The teams that invested heavily both saw advantages and are both arguably on the up. Reason why the traditional big 4 have faltered this season is simply because they haven't invested.

Lukker- wrote: »
    The teams that invested heavily both saw advantages and are both arguably on the up. Reason why the traditional big 4 have faltered this season is simply because they haven't invested.

Nah. Just Liverpool really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Is every manager going to get a "He is awesome" thread when they do something semi decent?

Spurs were handed 4th, he should have been shot if he didn't get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

My God, the small-minded bitterness in this thread sums up the soccer forum at it's worst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

well done 'arry

eagle eye wrote: »
    Without doubt the most stunning achievement of the year has been Tottenham Hotspur making the top four.

I'd disagree with that, fantastic achievement as it is I still think it pales in comparison to Woy taking Fulham to Hamburg, and McLeish/McCarthy keeping their respective sides up this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

That_Guy wrote: »
    Nah. Just Liverpool really.

You not think United and Chelsea looks significantly weaker this season?

My God, the small-minded bitterness in this thread sums up the soccer forum at it's worst.

Harry isn't the most likeable individual to be fair, what were you expecting? He's like the sleazy old ****er in the pub you keep well away from your girlfriend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

harry is the like the uncle who visits every couple of years and gives you a fiver.
    your not really sure what to make of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    Is every manager going to get a "He is awesome" thread when they do something semi decent?

2009 Arsenal 72 pts
    2008 Liverpool 76 pts
    2007 Arsenal 68 pts
    2006 Arsenal 67 pts
    2005 Everton 61 pts
    2004 Liverpool 60 pts
    2003 Chelsea 67 pts
    2002 Newcastle 71 pts

Spurs were far from handed it, we've amassed more points then most 4th place teams, and have had to amass the highest total needed to get 4th since the CL went to four places, with City on 66 and still a game to play. This wasn't done the easy way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I'm happy cos my dad supports spurs and because it wasn't city. But I dont really like the aura that seems to follow harry around the place.

Lukker- wrote: »
    You not think United and Chelsea looks significantly weaker this season?

I would've liked to have said yes but Drogba and Rooney are both having unbelievable seasons.

Plus they're 1st and 2nd in the league so weakness isn't a problem. United have ageing players and have had injury problems this season but they've still pulled it out of the bag and are still in with a shout... albeit a slim chance to win the league.

EDIT: But I won't drag this off topic. Congrats Spurs. Not a huge fan of Harry Redknapp but the man done good.

• Advertisement

Harry isn't the most likeable individual to be fair, what were you expecting? He's like the sleazy old ****er in the pub you keep well away from your girlfriend.

I don't particularly like Fergie or Wenger but I give them credit when it's due.

Pity others can't think outside the box for a minute or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Well done to 'arry and the rest of the team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'd disagree with that, fantastic achievement as it is I still think it pales in comparison to Woy taking Fulham to Hamburg, and McLeish/McCarthy keeping their respective sides up this season.
    Well being a Tottenham fan you would expect more from your club than most I'd imagine.

For me Harry Redknapp is manager of the year, he has beaten a club that has spent £250 million over the past two seasons to 4th spot and still has an outside chance at 3rd. That is some turnaround from where they were 16/17 months ago.

Roy Hodgson is a great manager but they aren't any better than they were last year. In fact they are likely going to finish the season 7 points worse off in the league than last year, a lot of that is due to resting players to keep them fresh for the Europa League. Even if they win that cup and it would be a great achievement for them I don't agree that its as big a deal as what Tottenham have done.
    Birmingham have been a dogged defensive team, horrible to watch but they had a great run in the first half of the season but they've only got 18 points from 17 games since Christmas which isn't at all impressive.

I don't particularly like Fergie or Wenger but I give them credit when it's due.

Pity others can't think outside the box for a minute or two.

Meh... what has Harry done though to deserve it? In his career so far he spends big, plays an organised 4-4-2, has some initial success then ****s off while everyone is left to work out that all he's built was a house of cards. At the end of the day despite what Sky Sports propaganda would have you believe, Spurs have not yet qualified for the Champions league, to be praising Harry is premature. Given Harry's recent history (West Ham, Southampton, Portsmouth) this type of love in we're seeing in the media seems premature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Some typically stupid comments in this thread about spurs and harry.

Well done harry, and well done lads, great achievment.

COYS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,595 ✭✭✭baldbear

Fair play Spurs and Harry 'Del Boy' Redknapp in getting 4th.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

Reganio 2 wrote: »

They were hardly handed it now , they have won 10 of their last 11 games in the league including successive games against the champions elect Chelsea & Arsenal ( who were very much in the hunt for the league at the time ) as well as tonight away at City who have been excellent at home all season , credit where credit is due- fair play to them.

Meh... what has Harry done though to deserve it? In his career so far he spends big, plays an organised 4-4-2, has some initial success then ****s off while everyone is left to work out that all he's built was a house of cards. At the end of the day despite what Sky Sports propaganda would have you believe, Spurs have not yet qualified for the Champions league, to be praising Harry is premature. Given Harry's recent history (West Ham, Southampton, Portsmouth) this type of love in we're seeing in the media seems premature.

Semantics tbh, and anything that has gone on at other clubs has no bearing on what he has achieved in the last 18 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

look at them 18 months ago, look at them now.

phenomenally well done.

i don't particularly like him, but he is an excellent manager.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

A victory for football? I mean football in general. Its great news for the likes of "the big four", or what the big four used to be before Liverpool dropped out of it.

Not getting Champions League will definately hurt Citeh in the type of players they want to attract.

Gives the other four clubs who got C.L. a major advantage in the transfer market... (for another year at least).

Its inevetible that Citeh will get C.L., if not next year, the year after, and from where I stand (as an Arsenal fan) thats not good, so to keep they out of Europes premier competition for another year is a victory for us.

Citeh's squad cost what 350 million, how much did Spurs squad cost, a fair bit too I'd imagine but they dont have limitless money like Citeh do, once Citeh get thet C.L. spot they will be a major major force in Europe, along the lines of Real or Barca who can buy who they want, sack who they dont want, stomp on all other clubs in the transfer market. Citeh can dominate for years, or as long as their owners stick around! Keeping them out is fantastic news for everyone, except Citeh :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

And the Spurs squad cost a miserable £180m.
    Amazing what 'Arry can do on a budget.
    The 4th most expensive squad came fourth - what are the odds?
    Wonder if he will get on as well in Europe next season as he done wit his last club?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭SeanKev

About 150m in 16 months.. but City have spent more so let's claim Tottenham have built, not bought their way :D Hypocrisy at it's finest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Wonder if he will get on as well in Europe next season as he done wit his last club?
    Tranfer fees are only half the money. What about the wage bills?

I know Chelsea, United, City and Arsenal are the top four, where are Tottenham? Are they ahead of Liverpool? Aston Villa?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Wouldnt buy a second hand car off Arry, but fair play to him . . Top job tonight .

Semantics tbh

O Rhly? You'll be going into the qualifiers pretty much unseeded afaik. You could easily come up against fairly handy teams like AC, Valencia, Sevilla, Bremen etc. it's far from a forgone conclusion. You're as small minded as anyone here if you think the qualifiers are just semantics.
    and anything that has gone on at other clubs has no bearing on what he has achieved in the last 18 months.

Oh, so he plucks his management style, his decision making rationale, his valuation of players etc. by throwing dice? Divination? Looking for patterns in the newspapers?

Its looking strikingly similar to previous cycles so far, but lets not let a little thing like past precedent get in the way...

Actually can you break down that 180m that Harry has spent?

SeanKev wrote: »
    About 150m in 16 months.. but City have spent more so let's claim Tottenham have built, not bought their way :D Hypocrisy at it's finest.

Why are you two attributing that level of spending to Redknapp?

Since he came in:

Bought

Jermain Defoe Portsmouth £ 15000000 06-01-2009
    Wilson Palacios Wigan £ 12000000 21-01-2009
    Carlo Cudicini Chelsea Free 26-01-2009
    Pascal Chimbonda Sunderland Signed 26-01-2009
    Robbie Keane Liverpool £ 12000000 02-02-2009

£39m + Chimbonda believed to be around £2.5m = £41.5m

Kyle Naughton Sheff Utd Signed 22-07-2009
    Kyle Walker Sheff Utd Signed 22-07-2009
    Peter Crouch Portsmouth £ 9000000 27-07-2009
    Sebastien Bassong Newcastle £ 8000000 06-08-2009
    Niko Kranjcar Portsmouth Signed 01-09-2009
    Jimmy Walker West Ham Free 01-09-2009
    Younes Kaboul Portsmouth £ 5000000 31-01-2010

£22m + Walker/Naughton believed to be £8m, and Niko at £2.5m = £32.5m

Total spent by Redknapp £74m

c. £30m brought in through sales.

If you're going to bash him at least bash him for what he has done, not those before him.

Source

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

eagle eye wrote: »
    Tranfer fees are only half the money. What about the wage bills?

I know Chelsea, United, City and Arsenal are the top four, where are Tottenham? Are they ahead of Liverpool? Aston Villa?

I'd imagine they are quite comfortably ahead of both Liverpool and Villa on the wage front. Wage figures tend to be a bit more historic as they tend to be based on published accounts.

Compare the players on Spurs bench to the players on Villa and Liverpool's bench and compare the transfers in and out at the various clubs in the last 18 months and I would be shocked if Spurs weren't pushing Arsenal for the 4th spot in terms of wages.

Liverpool have been trimming their wage bill massively [down around 10 players over all between reserves and first-team squad compared to this time last seaon; plus have about 10 players out on loan at the end of the season] and I wouldn't be surprised when the wages for this season are calculated if they weren't in 7th place for this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I don't think people are bashing him for what he has spent as such, just stating he inherited some very expensive, quality players as well as spending a substantial amount.

• Advertisement
Advertisement