Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Give it up for Harry Redknapp

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

eagle eye wrote: »
    No not at all. You started out well in the thread but you have gotten more bitter as time has went on, thats very clear from reading your posts.

You have tried to attack Redknapp from different angles but now you are just trying to isolate one particular part of his track record. Something that has no bearing on anything at Tottenham Hotspur as you are well aware.

You seem to have forgotten so let me rephrase what you wrote in your OP, this threads about Harry and his 'stunning achievements' (which I refute).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

You seem to have forgotten so let me rephrase what you wrote in your OP, this threads about Harry and his 'stunning achievements' (which I refute).
    FYP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

I have to admit I was disgusted when Levy sacked Jol. i was also very dubious when he appointed Harry but I can't tell you how glad I am to have been so wrong. What he has done this year is amazing and to have the balls to play 4-4-2 with two wingers away from home was a joy to watch. Levy's dealing in the transfer market have been proven to be correct. I salute both Harry and Levy on a great achievement. Lets hope there will be many more.

FYP

And that changes my point how exactly?

And that changes my point how exactly?
    I'm talking about his achievement of breaking into the top four with Tottenham Hotspur nothing else.

• Advertisement

I'm talking about his achievement of breaking into the top four with Tottenham Hotspur nothing else.

So I'm not allowed to evaluate said achievement in light of past precedent? That explains a lot now, thanks.

So I'm not allowed to evaluate said achievement in light of past precedent? That explains a lot now, thanks.
    What are you blabbering on about now?

What precedent are you talking about?

As far as I'm aware no other manager has finished 4th in the Premier League while in charge of Totenham Hotspur so there is no precedent.

What are you blabbering on about now?

You seem to have a very short memory. This thread is about Harry after all, we're still talking about Harry. I've merely been pointing out that I don't like Harry, and that so far this 'achievement' is like the continuation of what I shall refer to as the 'Redknapp cycle'. Afterall, He's spent heavily and had flash in the pan success before only to leave when the going got tough and the arse started falling out of his team. So I'm not quite sure this stunning achievement is quite the achievement it seems at first glance. Of course I could be wrong, but past precedent so far puts the argument in my favour. You then started to attack me personally and accused me of bias against Spurs, which is ironic considering my opinion of Harry was formed long before he ever went to Spurs. Is that clear enough for you now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

How can you like the guy?

WE KNOW HE'S NOT UP FOR SALE BUT HE'S A GREAT LITTLE PLAYER AND WE'D LOVE TO HAVE HIM HERE

WE'RE JUST DECLARING AN INTEREST AND IT'S UP TO THE PLAYER TO DECIDE WHERE HE WANTS TO GO

etc

Does his very best at disrupting other clubs/players careers. Top bloke.

Because of course he's the only manager who ever does that? Yeah that's right.

I don't think anyone ever went so far as to say that it's a 'stunning' achievement. It isn't. But if Spurs finished 15th this season Harry would be getting a slating from all sides. So in the interest of fairness I'd say credit where it's due. For now anyway.

aidan24326 wrote: »
    I don't think anyone ever went so far as to say that it's a 'stunning' achievement.

those were eagle eye's exact words.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,733 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Playboy wrote: »
    I think we spent £3m on Carrick and £11m on Berbatov. We also made a £6m profit on Keane and Levy has negotiated good deals on nearly every player we have bought and sold over the years. The man has a 1st from Cambridge in Economics .. makes a big difference when someone is actually qualified to run the financial side of a club!

Meh. Ye sold your best players to one of the biggest teams in the world and made a profit. In fairness my 5 year niece could do that. You certainly don't need an econmics degree.

Players do well in PL = Big fish pays big Bucks.

I'm not doubting Levy as businessman, you picked up on a poor example though from a poster having a childish pop at United.

There is plenty of fail in there too with transfer turnaround.

Wasn't Dean Richards one of Levys first big money signings for Spurs at 8 million?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

those were eagle eye's exact words.

Ok then, I 'd agree that 'stunning' is a bit of an exaggeration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Boggles wrote: »
    Meh. Ye sold your best players to one of the biggest teams in the world and made a profit. In fairness my 5 year niece could do that. You certainly don't need an econmics degree.

Players do well in PL = Big fish pays big Bucks.

I'm not doubting Levy as businessman, you picked up on a poor example though from a poster having a childish pop at United.

There is plenty of fail in there too with transfer turnaround.

Wasn't Dean Richards one of Levys first big money signings for Spurs at 8 million?

I think the financial position of the club is a fair reflection that Levy's transfer dealings were generally good rather than bad. At the end of the day he isnt a football expert so he needs advice from his manager on what he thinks a player is worth and then if he needs to sell that player then he makes sure he gets back everything he paid or else make a profit! He managed to squeez Sunderland for 16.5 m for bent! Unfortunately he has got some bad advice in the past .. Poor Glen though Dean Richards was worth £8m .. what was he smoking lol!

Playboy wrote: »
    I think the financial position of the club is a fair reflection that Levy's transfer dealings were generally good rather than bad. At the end of the day he isnt a football expert so he needs advice from his manager on what he thinks a player is worth and then if he needs to sell that player then he makes sure he gets back everything he paid or else make a profit! He managed to squeez Sunderland for 16.5 m for bent! Unfortunately he has got some bad advice in the past .. Poor Glen though Dean Richards was worth £8m .. what was he smoking lol!

I was more reacting to the fact that he was been lauded as some sort of genius for selling on his star players for massive money.

You got the Bent thing mixed up.

Bent was Spurs record signing at 16.5 million, He went to Sunderland for 10 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I was more reacting to the fact that he was been lauded as some sort of genius for selling on his star players for massive money.

You got the Bent thing mixed up.

Bent was Spurs record signing at 16.5 million, He went to Sunderland for 10 million.

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/articles/benttransferstockexchangeannouncement050809.html

JPA wrote: »

Up to 16.5 million. Cash exchange of 10 million up front.

Edit: The 24 goals I'm sure would have to enable Sunderland to hand over more cash.

No publication of add on requirements.

Although you have to admit, at the rate he is scoring it's likely Sunderland will end up paying the vast majority of those add-ons.

Although you have to admit, at the rate he is scoring it's likely Sunderland will end up paying the vast majority of those add-ons.

Yeah just edited.

Good deal for both clubs in fairness.

You seem to have a very short memory. This thread is about Harry after all, we're still talking about Harry. I've merely been pointing out that I don't like Harry, and that so far this 'achievement' is like the continuation of what I shall refer to as the 'Redknapp cycle'. Afterall, He's spent heavily and had flash in the pan success before only to leave when the going got tough and the arse started falling out of his team. So I'm not quite sure this stunning achievement is quite the achievement it seems at first glance. Of course I could be wrong, but past precedent so far puts the argument in my favour. You then started to attack me personally and accused me of bias against Spurs, which is ironic considering my opinion of Harry was formed long before he ever went to Spurs. Is that clear enough for you now?
    As I said I'm talking about his time at Spurs.

Anybody who came out and said last August that Spurs would finish 4th in the Premier League would have got laughed out of the place ergo a stunning achievement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Edit: The 24 goals I'm sure would have to enable Sunderland to hand over more cash.

Yes but when Spurs bought Bent it was also UP TO 16.5 million.

• Advertisement
Advertisement