Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Couch Potato to sprint tri

• 05-05-2010 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭

About me
    Im 32 years old in August this year, Not even sure what I weigh, think its around 17.5 stone, Height 5 11' Im the original couch potato, I spend all day everyday siting on my backside, I drive for a living, and when I get home I sit in front of the tv or computer all day, work shift work, eat junk food everyday, smoke about 25 a day, don't drink too much about 5/6 pints a week, Im completely fed up with my life.

My Diet
    My diet is all over the place due to the shift work and not making an effort to prepare food, My daily intake on an early shift would consist of....
    Wake 5am
    1st food 10am...Breakfast roll
    3/4pm Sandwich, crisps
    6pm burger and chips
    10pm sandwich, bar choc, more crisps.

And late shift would be something like...
    Wake 11am
    12pm Bowl of cereal, toast
    2pm sandwich, crisps, chocolate bar
    8pm chicken curry and chips or snackbox or simular
    10pm choclate bar
    1am sandwich

My Goals
    My longterm goal would be to complete an Ironman event.
    My short term goal is to complete a sprint triathlon at the end of August this year.

The Plan
    From the 17th may I plan to follow a 15 week couch to sprint tri distance programme I got from trinewbies.com, Starts on week 1 with a 20 min walk, 2 mile cycle and 50 meter swim and builds from there.

I have begun to change my diet this week and actually find I have more energy due to the fact Im eating the right foods and not junk foods, I have an appointment with the doctor in the morning to give me the once over before I start any training. Over the next 2 weeks I want to get out walking, eat properly, and get myself ready to submerge into my training plan from the 17th, also buy equipment that I need, bike, swim gear etc. I am really determined to succeed at this and will give it everything I have got.

I asked a freind of mine if he would like to train with me, but I can see he is already becoming a hinderance to me, I dont think he is as motivated as me. So I think I will be leaving him behind when I start training...we will see, I dont mind training on my own anyway, I don't want to join a tri club just yet, until I get a bit fitter and lose a bit of wieght, I would feel embarassed turning up to training in this shape.

A local pool offers coached swimming so thats where I plan to do my swim training, also getting a few pointer's from the coach there along the way.

The easy part is writing it all out here and saying I will do it, now the hard work must begin, as Ive already said I am determined to change my life, not just for my sake but my kids are becoming just like me, they do what they see I guess, They are turning into couch potato's too and I don't want that, I need to show them a good example, and hopefully they will follow.

The cigs
    I have tried to quit before and found it very hard, and Im not sure I could handle the stress of quiting while changing my lifestlye and diet all at once, I feel that I will not want to smoke as much when I start training and will cut down easy once I set my mind to the training, I will see how it goes for now, but ultimately I know I need to quit completely.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Good luck with it spareman, you sound very much like me when I started. Wife brought me birthday shopping and the jeans had gone up to size 36 and the tops were all x large.

Swore to her that day that i was going to join the gym the following morning, if you stick at it you will hopefully get to the stage when you are cross and irritable that you havent got out training that day.

You are right with the fags, rome wasnt built in a day, I used to use the ciggie as a reward after a gym session, it took me a good 6 months to get off them totally.

You will see the weight fall off for the first few months if you can stick at it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

good look with it spareman ....

Much the same as I was 18 months ago minus the smokes.

Once you get started you'll love it .... slowely slowely though or else you'll burn out or get injured .... build in small steps

12 months time you'll be wondering why you werent at this years ago

I look forward to reading your log

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭spareman

Walk
    3.23km
    time 33.47

Food
    breakfast= 2x macambridge brown bread, banana, orange, 1lt water.
    Lunch=slice of sunflower seed rye bread, strawberry grain bar, 1 lt water.
    Dinner= baked smoked cooley,onion, baked potato, and some salad, 1lt water.
    Supper=2 x macambridge brown, sliced turkey, diet yogurt, glass of orange juice.

Did not see my doctor this morning, I got delayed in work and did not finish on time, have rescedualed doctor for tommorrow.

I picked up extra large tri suit in aldi this morning, It goes on, but dammed if I be caught dead in it for the moment, extra large tri suit is like medium jumper in dunnes stores, lol.

Decided to go for a walk this afternoon, found myself limping towards the end due to my right calf becoming very stiff, also pain around right knee, and back of right ankle. Soles of my feet on fire since I got back.

Can't wait till Im looking back on this and laughing to myself.

After the little walk today I feel I have no chance of making the triathlon in August, but sure we will see how we go over the next few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Hi spareman
    Best of luck in your quest to complete your first tri. Once you get into doing any form of exercise it's fierce addictive - enjoy!!
    I trained for my first tri in three weeks last August, turned into a duathlon after the swim was cancelled. I had been playing a bit of 5-a-side and was rowing alright, but wouldn't have been fit, and was smoking 15 a day before I stated tri training. Had very little idea howfar 5k was, and hadn't been on a bike since I was a kid, but the point is you'll definitely be able to complete yours come August - you've loads of time. Which tri are you aiming to do?

Why don't you start your 15 week programme now? That way if something comes up, or you find yourself struggling a bit you'll have a week and abit to play around with, maybe repeat one weeks training in the middle somewhere.

spareman wrote: »
    The Plan
    From the 17th may I plan to follow a 15 week couch to sprint tri distance programme I got from trinewbies.com, Starts on week 1 with a 20 min walk, 2 mile cycle and 50 meter swim and builds from there.

Walk
    3.23km
    time 33.47

Decided to go for a walk this afternoon, found myself limping towards the end due to my right calf becoming very stiff, also pain around right knee, and back of right ankle. Soles of my feet on fire since I got back.

After the little walk today I feel I have no chance of making the triathlon in August, but sure we will see how we go over the next few weeks.

If you're going to follow the plan then you've got to trust it. If it says 20 mins, then even if you're feeling great just don't over do things, that'll only lead to injuries which will set you back on your fitness and demotivate you.

Definitely go for lessons on the swimming - it's the hardest of teh three to do. Have you swam regularly before? 50m is no small feat (to me anyway)

Best of luck and enjoy the training, you've loads of time yet.

DustyBin wrote: »
    Which tri are you aiming to do?
    I hoped to do the Dublin city triathlon, 29th August, Only reason I picked that one is because it's the last one of the season that I could find.
    Why don't you start your 15 week programme now? That way if something comes up, or you find yourself struggling a bit you'll have a week and abit to play around with, maybe repeat one weeks training in the middle somewhere.
    I see your point, I have noticed in some of the training logs people losing a week due to sickness, injuries etc but I can't start yet, I have no bike lol....Should have it in 2 weeks time, I will just walk and swim for a couple of weeks until I get the bike.

If you're going to follow the plan then you've got to trust it. If it says 20 mins, then even if you're feeling great just don't over do things, that'll only lead to injuries which will set you back on your fitness and demotivate you.
    I had tought I could do this walk in 20 mins, but it took me longer, its a loop around where I live so I had no option but to finish walking to my house, next time I will just walk for 10 mins and turn around and walk back.
    Definitely go for lessons on the swimming - it's the hardest of teh three to do. Have you swam regularly before? 50m is no small feat (to me anyway)
    Im actually dreading the swim training, I used to swim everyday in my teenage years, dont think I have swam in 13 years or so, and with the smoking my lung capacity will be very poor at the start, I dont think I could swim 50m now, going to hit the pool in the morning so should have a better idea then.
    Best of luck and enjoy the training, you've loads of time yet.
    Thanks for the support and advice.

• Advertisement

Judging by your MCambridges sandwiches you are a Galway man!

Consider the Loughrea Triathlon http://www.predatortriclub.ie/

Its in September

Great crystal clear water and a flattish cycle and run

And I will there be as a marshal to roar at you if I see you slacking :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Best of luck wit this. I'm really looking forward to following your log. You'll have high and low points along the way but don't lose faith as attaining your goals will be very rewarding. You'll get excellent advice from many around here too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Best of luck on your triathlon venture. Fair play to you for deciding to change your diet and exercise habits, or lack of. :) Best of luck with it. There are 3 tri clubs in Galway now so plenty of support is there should you need it.

As catweazle mentioned, the Loughrea Tri is a great event and one worth aiming for too. Don't be in ahurry to go long either. I'd be a fan of getting fast rather than doing an IM for the sake of ticking the box but each to their own. And no I'm not fast! :D

Most importantly, try to enjoy the training. It is quite addictive so I'm sure you will.

catweazle wrote: »
    Judging by your MCambridges sandwiches you are a Galway man!

Consider the Loughrea Triathlon http://www.predatortriclub.ie/

Its in September

Great crystal clear water and a flattish cycle and run

And I will there be as a marshal to roar at you if I see you slacking :D
    Im in Dublin, but don't rule it out, I will see how the training is going and if I will be ready for Dublin tri or not.
    Bambaata wrote: »
    Best of luck wit this. I'm really looking forward to following your log. You'll have high and low points along the way but don't lose faith as attaining your goals will be very rewarding. You'll get excellent advice from many around here too
    Looking forward to it myself, Just want to jump in full speed ahead, but lots of people are saying take it slowly, I can't wait to get into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭TomD101

Good luck with the training - hoping to take part in a sprint tri in 2 months for the first time too. I'll keep an eye out on you log!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Very best of luck with the training. Enjoy it. Triathlons are great fun training for. More enjoyable to train for a Tri than a Marathon in my opinion, as theres a bit of variety to the training.

Last night, went for a cycle with my 13 year old son, got a lend of a bike, he is so interested in triathlons already, his been asking me can he do the training with me, his a little overweight for his age but nothing to worry about, we Cycled 4km (sorry dustybin) very easy, stop start, so Dad could get his breath back.:rolleyes:
    So happy to see that my new lifestyle changes are all ready rubbing of on the kids.

Dont feel too bad this morning, in fact seems the cycling fixed my aches from the walking.

Not going to do too much today, just a swim in the afternoon when my son gets home from school, nothing serious just splashing around more than anything. Will see if I can swim a lenght of the 25m pool without passing out.

Breakfast=
    porridge with honey
    fruit and diet yogurt
    2 wholewheat bread
    glass of oj

Swim- 25m pool- 1 lap

Swam one lenght down, I was ok swimming down but I knew I would be in trouble swimming back so had to stop for a breather for about 2 mins before swimming back down.

Other than that just spent a bit of time teaching my son to breath as he swims, he just holds his breath and swims as far as he can then almost drowns in a panic for air.

Dinner- Just about to sit down to a nice plate of cous cous, with chicken and broccoli and a glass of diluted orange.

Supper- 2 slices wholeweat, slice of turkey, lettuce, apple.

My whole family are getting into the spirit now, My wife goes out today unbeknown to me and gets the whole family gym membership in westwood, Don't think it was a good idea myself, unless we use it enough, they have a teen gym for 10 to 15 year olds and kids playground for 4 to 10 year olds, so we can all go up as a family and train.

Today...

Food= breakfast- porridge, honey, coffee.
    Lunch/dinner- fresh salmon, salad, 2x brown soda.
    Supper- chicken salad sandwich, wholeweat bread, glass of mi wadi.

Exercise= Walk 3.23km, 32.19
    Slight improvement on last walk time, got a bit delayed today by traffic too, so happy enough I suppose, thought I would have done better because Im feeling so full of energy and generally feeling pretty good since I started. Legs were much better today, no limping.

As I was about to set off today my eldest son wanted to come, okay I said, then the younger son wanted to come, then there friends, then there friends friends, end up delayed while we ok'd everything with the other parents.
    Then myself and 14 kids set off, We were like the brady bunch on a family outing, They are all so interested in what Im trying to achieve, Really motivating me to see the kids interested, Might need to set up a triathlon club up here after I reach my goal.

I know I probably should not be walking this much yet and my plan says a 20min walk at the start, My plan will start 17/05/10, Until then I just want to walk and swim as much as possible to help me lose the weight quicker, so when the plan starts I should have dropped a few pounds already, I weighed myself in the local gym about 2 weeks ago and wrote it down on a card and left it there, so I will go back over there soon and see how Im doing.

After the swimming last night Im thinking I may have to scrap the plan and just swim 6 days a week in order to be ready for August 29th, 750m is 30 lenghts of my pool and I struggled to do 2 last night, I will follow the plan from 17/05/10 and see how Im going, Im thinking if Im struggling on the bike I can drop gears, take a sip of water, and recover, during the run I can walk to recover, but the swim??? doggie paddle?

14 kids you should change your username to either Forest Gump or The Pied Piper.

Never underestimate the flotation of a wet suit, a very easy breast stroke will keep you moving above water in one of them. Although I would wait till nearer the day or hire one rather than buy one, all going well the weight will fall off you and the tighter the wetsuit the better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Can I just say - on the swimming - I know you don't feel ready to quit the cigarettes, but its one thing that makes a big difference for swimming. Even cutting down a bit you may feel a difference in the pool (hmm and that in itself might motivate you to cut back more or quit - honestly I was never really much of a smoker, but for a year or two did smoke a bit in the pub - REALLY noticed my chest tighter in the pool and I would only have smoked 4 or 5 cigs over a weekend tops)

The other thing is to get a few tips from a coach - a few little technique pointers might make a big difference.

One last thing....have you considered doing any weights ? Since you have the gym membership it might be worth getting an assessment from one of the gym personal trainers - you can explain your goals and they can tailor you a program. Even getting a 'core' workout program from them would probably be very helpful. For years I never "believed in" weights, but last year I started training and did weights just once a week but I do feel it made a big difference.

Unfortunately an ankle injury and probable swine flu put paid to the marathon effort. Trying to get back into fitness now and have been hitting the pool a bit. But definitely I want to do some weights too. Would love to run also but the ankle still giving me some troubles some I'm waiting before running again.

Incidentally I think its great that you are doing this to be a good role model for the kids. Kudos!!!

catweazle wrote: »
    Never underestimate the flotation of a wet suit
    I was planning to buy one nearer the race, When I improve the swimming over the next few weeks the wet suit should give me the extra bit I need then.
    Can I just say - on the swimming - I know you don't feel ready to quit the cigarettes, but its one thing that makes a big difference for swimming. Even cutting down a bit you may feel a difference in the pool (hmm and that in itself might motivate you to cut back more or quit - honestly I was never really much of a smoker, but for a year or two did smoke a bit in the pub - REALLY noticed my chest tighter in the pool and I would only have smoked 4 or 5 cigs over a weekend tops)
    Deep down I know but won't admit it to myself, I will make an extra effort to cut down on them at least, Ideally would like to be off them altogether in the next few weeks, I might try that alan carr clinic.
    The other thing is to get a few tips from a coach - a few little technique pointers might make a big difference.
    One last thing....have you considered doing any weights ? Since you have the gym membership it might be worth getting an assessment from one of the gym personal trainers - you can explain your goals and they can tailor you a program. Even getting a 'core' workout program from them would probably be very helpful. For years I never "believed in" weights, but last year I started training and did weights just once a week but I do feel it made a big difference.
    I will be getting a fitness assesment up there next week, so will talk to the personal trainer and tell him what I want to do and see what he comes up with, also they have a coached swim session for adults so I be hitting that too all going well. Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.
    Incidentally I think its great that you are doing this to be a good role model for the kids. Kudos!!!
    I have a 13 year old son, and it would just break my heart if he ended up like old me, His really getting into the triathlon stuff, hopefully he will be doing a junior race sometime during the summer, he needs a few more swim lessons and he should be right.

Sunday
    Diet derailed, no excerise.
    I had a banana yazoo for my breakfast.
    2 packs of chipsticks and a half pack of choclate digestives for my lunch.
    And to top it all off I had a chicken curry, with noodles and chips last night.

Monday
    Excercise....
    Went to gym this morning, 10 mins bike, 5 mins ski machine, few strenght machines then I done 30 mins on the treadmill, I started to run today, 20 secs at first, and back to walking, built it up to 70 secs over the 30 mins.

30 min easy walk in evening, 3.1km

food...
    Breakfast=Porridge and honey, 2 wholeweat toast, diet yogurt, banana, glass oj.
    Lunch= 2 wholeweat, tuna, sliced tomato, diet yogurt, glass blackcurrent.

Dinner= turkey, mushroom, onion, corriander, and cous cous, 2 granary wholegrain bread, water.

My weight
    2 weeks ago before I started I was 111.8kg
    this morning I was 111.0kg
    So thats a loss of 0.4kg a week, Is that too fast or too slow anyone?

Training
    swimming 200m
    swam 50m then stopped for breath,
    then stopped for breath every 25m.

Went to 10pm lane swimming in new park school, as I was working all day, felt tired enough going but forced myself to go, The other swimmers there were flying up and down constantly without stopping, felt I was a bit in the way at times with my slow swimming and blocking up the lane at each end to catch my breath. Had to get a lucozade sport on the way out due to dehydration and complete lack of energy, Im never going to make that triathlon in August, Think I need to set a more achievable goal, On a good note I finally got my commuter bike today, merida speeder t2, not sure I will be cycling 17mile round trip to work just yet, will take her out for a spin tommorrow and see how the body reacts.

Weight
    111.0kg

August is a good while away yet, enter it anyways that will keep you focused on the training

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Just spotted your training log. Good stuff so far. Keep the faith though- the early weeks are the toughest. Work it up slowly and don't get injured- the running would be most likely to do this, whereas the cycling and swimming are easier on the body.

As for the weight loss- half a kilo a week is perfect.

Good luck with the training!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,998 ✭✭✭griffin100

Went to 10pm lane swimming in new park school, as I was working all day, felt tired enough going but forced myself to go, The other swimmers there were flying up and down constantly without stopping, felt I was a bit in the way at times with my slow swimming and blocking up the lane at each end to catch my breath. Had to get a lucozade sport on the way out due to dehydration and complete lack of energy, Im never going to make that triathlon in August, Think I need to set a more achievable goal

A sprint tri in August is a very achievable goal. Just try and keep focussed. As someone who was in your position exactly two years ago some simple non scientific advice from a solid middle of the pack finisher:
    1. Dont obsess about the diet. Try to eat a bit less / more healthy than you have been but dont overdo it. Remember you are burning off more calories than before so even if you dont change your diet and keep exercising you will loose weight and get fitter (although dieting does help I'm told, but I never bothered much and still dont. I've gone from 16.5 stone to just over 13 stone now)
    2. Dont worry about the other swimmers in the pool - concentrate on your goals and what you are doing. I'm training for an Ironman, can swim the 3,800m no problems, am solid enough pace wise without being spectacular, but I still get intimidated by the faster swimmers in the pool. You just need to learn to ignore them and concentrate on you.
    3. The fact that your kids are getting into this is great. One of the best things tri has done for me other than getting me fitter and slimmer is to give my kids an interest in sport. My two older kids (5 and 6) now run twice a week (both won county championship medals last week:)) and they both swim at least once a week - my 6 year old is nearly as good as me:D
    Keep it up and dont get too downhearted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

Unless you up there with the elites your only ever racing one person in a triathlon and thats yourself

I'm swimming most of my life and am passed every session by some salmons disguised as humans:D

same with the bike, same with the run:)

Stay positive - August is plenty of time yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Hey spareman, well done on getting yourself motivated to turn your life around. You won't regret it :)

The single best piece of advice I could offer and is also what I have learned from others is to make changes gradually so as to create new behavious and secondly do everything that moves you closer to your goal CONSISTENTLY.

You seem quite motivated which is excellent, however trust that the gains will come in time. We live in a world where everyone wants everything now.

You mentioned your diet 'derailed' recently. Honestly, it looks to me as though you have changed the diet wholesale very suddenly which is why it felt like derailing. You have to allow yourself an out! I day a week where eating sh!te is ok or just learning to do it in moderation. I'm deadly for putting away a pack of biscuits at a time but 90% of my diet is good and I train consistently.

Consistency is the main thing with training. I can guarantee that sticking with it will get you there, I cannot guarantee it will be easy.

Catweazle said it. Enter an event. 3 months is plenty to get ready to complete it. If you have signed up, paid up you are more likely to get stuck in. A specific Goal is more powerful than a general vision. What have you got to lose?

Next, what is the plan to get you there? To keep it as simple as possible, break everything into steps. Aim to achieve the distance in training for each discipline before you worry about anything else.
    Griffin100 is right, forget about what others are doing. Yes listen and learn, however do whats best for you.

Keep the head up and the very best of luck. I'll keep my eye on the log for sure :)

Training
    7km cycle easy
    3.23km walk easy 34.56 mins
    400m swim easy

I know what you's are going to say, I did too much, I know.
    I was on a restday from work so kinda went a bit mad today.

Got my new bike last night so went out after breakfast this morning, all I can say is the cigerettes have to go, simple as that.

My walk was slower today because a friend joined me and we were kind of taking it easy, It was his first bit of excercise in years so didn't want to turn him of the walking.

Just back from my swim now, went to the bluepool in monkstown, It was very busy down there, about 6 people in my lane, I just done as much as I could taking a few mins at either end, done front crawl, breast stroke, and a few back strokes (without arms) when I was tired...lol

Overall feel it was a good day's work, all be it a little too much maybe, will sleep like a log tonight anyway. I got Zero sport active hydration zero sugar, caffeine free tabs to put in my water, seemed to work well today. There was a whole range of food stuff in the bike shop, bars, gels, etc. What stuff should I be using before, during and after training? Im afraid to use the wrong stuff incase it does more harm to the diet.

Thanks for the advice people, keep it coming, really helping me see the light.

Dont be worrying too much about the bars and gels. I am at it almost two years and I think I have had 5 or 6 gels in that time. I might eat a bar if it was in the events goody bag. They are mainly used for long events when you are out for hours and need to eat to keep going.

Protein is good for you directly after training it helps replenish the muscles quicker, I dont go for much more than a big slug of milk (low fat of course ;)).

Apart from thast the only thing I take every now and then is orange juice mixed with water with a pinch of salt - thats my isotonic drink!

Dont go too mad buying stuff, you will find the missus will be on to you about the amount of money this triathlon crack costs if you are not careful. Runners and the wet suit for August is all that is needed now that you have the bike sorted

No Training today, took restday.
    Still tired after yesterday and was working early this morning.

Is it ok to be using that zero stuff in the water for hydration, before, during and after excercise? Or is there something better I could use? Maybe the water mixed with orange juice and some salt?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Hey, water itself it fine on its own for hydration! Can't beat chocolate milk after a tough session though for recovery. For 95% of my training I drink water only. The only time I'd put carbs into the drink is for a bike ride over 3 hours. I take a recovery shake after intensive sessions only.

Hey, water itself it fine on its own for hydration! Can't beat chocolate milk after a tough session though for recovery. For 95% of my training I drink water only. The only time I'd put carbs into the drink is for a bike ride over 3 hours. I take a recovery shake after intensive sessions only.
    Thanks for that info shotgunmcos, and thanks to all who have replied so far, a wealth of knowledge the lot of you. Cheers.

• Advertisement

Friday, was working very early and was like a zombie for the rest of the day, so did nothing.
    Saturday, was busy helping out at my local soccer club all day.
    Sunday, Walk 3.23km in 31.50, getting quicker and easier, was going to do a second lap..haha.
    Monday, playing Golf, so 4/5 hours walking.
    Tuesday The 17 week plan will commenece, I will post details next time Im on.

This week been a bit all over the place, been really busy helping out at the football club, That will all finish up next week until August.

The Diet has been abandoned, well, Im not being as strict with myself, just trying to eat as healthy as I can when I can, choices, thats whats its about, right? Im Still off the booze anyway.

Losing my mojo a bit the last few days, the triathlon is starting to feel like a mountain, need to knuckle down this week and get some good sessions in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Losing my mojo a bit the last few days, the triathlon is starting to feel like a mountain, need to knuckle down this week and get some good sessions in.

Tergat talks about keeping the momentum going with your training. What he means (I reckon) is that you should do whatever training best helps you to keep it up. As in, it's better to do little often, than to absolutely kill yourself and then do nothing for a week or more.
    You're still feeling your way into this training stuff so keep it up, and don't feel any pressure to tack on an extra bit of distance, or increase the intensity beyond what you reckon you can recover from and still get out the next day or the day after and do another bit.
    Have you set yourself any interim goals between now and the tri?
    Maybe sign up for a short running race like 3k or 5k. Check out your local fit for life group, they're normally good for organising that kind of stuff. After you swimming comes on a bit you might consider tackling an aquathlon before the tri.
    I think a short race would crown you in another few weeks, cos it would be something a bit easier to aim for, but also it would give you the buzz of race day - a nice feeling:)

Check out the events sub-forum here, your local fit 4 life group, and some other websites like www.racepix.com, or www.runireland.com for race calendars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,998 ✭✭✭griffin100

Remember, its a marathon not a sprint (no pun intended). You're going to have good and bad days and weeks. Remember the training plan is not the be all and end all of everything. As said above if your plan says you are due to do a run for example but would rather bike, then bike! The main thing is to keep active.

As the weeks go on and you start to see some progression you will get a great boost from this along with the urge to keep training.

Advertisement