Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat License

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

20goto10 wrote: »
    No other animals roam like they do because no other animal is a cat. The facts are they are clean animals and bury their poo. If they were going around causing toxoplasmosis then there would be something done about it. But the fact is it's total bs.

So does my Akita who is (as is his breed) a remarkably clean dog. So based on that logic it would be ok, like I asked already, for him to crap in your garden and throw some soil over it? As long as he's on a leash of course :rolleyes: And just cause it's buried doesnt mean someone won't find it, especially when it's in their bloody flower beds!:mad: And they're far from "clean" animals. Toxoplasmosis aside, it's simply not nice. Their doesn't have to be a scientific reason for it. Just manners and consideration.
    They also have a commercial purpose to protect agricultural land from vermin. How does that work if the farmer had to follow it around with a pooper scooper?

You're trying to be smart now :rolleyes:. Should they follow their horses, cows, sheep and chickens too? We're clearly not talking about farm cats that live miles from the next house and have acres of land to roam in.

There's worse things than cat crap in some fields but we're talking about built up areas, estates, semi detached, terraced, detached houses etc etc that have are "clean" environments with cats around them.
    planetX wrote: »
    Why so many animal haters on the pet board? I've never met a single person who objects to cats. I find this discussion weird.

Not animal haters, haters of people that think their cat's $hit don't stink ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

The fact is it is not total bs and health boards have spent alot of money
    over the years warning about about it .
    And quite rightly so. People should not handle poo of any kind. They have spent a lot more money warning people of the dangers of handling raw meat.

adser53 wrote: »
    So does my Akita who is (as is his breed) a remarkably clean dog. So based on that logic it would be ok, like I asked already, for him to crap in your garden and throw some soil over it? As long as he's on a leash of course :rolleyes: And just cause it's buried doesnt mean someone won't find it, especially when it's in their bloody flower beds!:mad: And they're far from "clean" animals. Toxoplasmosis aside, it's simply not nice. Their doesn't have to be a scientific reason for it. Just manners and consideration.

You're trying to be smart now :rolleyes:. Should they follow their horses, cows, sheep and chickens too? We're clearly not talking about farm cats that live miles from the next house and have acres of land to roam in.

There's worse things than cat crap in some fields but we're talking about built up areas, estates, semi detached, terraced, detached houses etc etc that have are "clean" environments with cats around them.

Point taken. All poo is bad and it would be great if there was a solution. Imposing dog laws on them is not the answer.

And you cannot impose one law to urban cat owners and another to rural cat owners. All cars are equal but some are more equal than others ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭STForSale

And quite rightly so. People should not handle poo of any kind. They have spent a lot more money warning people of the dangers of handling raw meat.
    Explain that to a 2 year old child.

This is not about animal hatred, it's basic sanitation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

Ha, as I speak there is poo being sprayed over the field behind me. It stinks. Big deal. The lake I live near is contaminated with human poo. Cat poo in the flower beds isn't the end of the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Imposing dog laws on them is not the answer.
    It works for me. That, or permission to destroy what's on your property - something tells me, if we were allowed to do that their owners would suddenly find an ability to confine pest animals to their own gardens.

Ha, as I speak there is poo being sprayed over the field behind me. It stinks. Big deal. The lake I live near is contaminated with human poo. Cat poo in the flower beds isn't the end of the world.

Well said :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

STForSale wrote: »
    Yes but there is no raw meat in my garden, nor is their animal droppings of any other variety other than cats.
    The only risk of a member of my family contracting toxoplasmosis is from the
    ample amounts of cat 5hit in my garden that the neighbourhood cats deposit on a daily basis.

It's very sad if any child gets sick from cat faeces, but if the child is young enough to go near cat faeces then shouldn't it be supervised in the garden anyway/

morganafay wrote: »
    It's very sad if any child gets sick from cat faeces, but if the child is young enough to go near cat faeces then shouldn't it be supervised in the garden anyway/
    Why don't I just keep my child in so your cat can continue to roam freely?
    Unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

did it have a name tag on it saying cat poo?
    it looks like cat poo , cats are the only creatures that poo that size who can get in the garden and on occasion i have seen them doing it .

Any more idiotic questens ???

• Advertisement

Why so many animal haters on the pet board? I've never met a single person who objects to cats. I find this discussion weird.

Exactly, you can't be an animal lover and hate cats. I find it really weird how people think that cats are evil. It's so old fashioned from when people thought cats were associated with satan and witches. If somebody doesn't like cats, maybe they just don't understand them. People are always saying how bad cats are, but if someone came on here and said "I hate labs/staffies/collies" or whatever, then people would attack them.

Explain that to a 2 year old child.

This is not about animal hatred, it's basic sanitation.

Explain anything to a 2 year old. Do you want to ban cars because your 2 year old doesn't understand road safety, ban sharp objects, poisonous cleaning products, stairs etc etc

It's your responsiblity not the childs. As it is your responsibility to make sure your child does not touch dog poo. Don't tell me our parks and streets do not have dog poo on them!

That's not what I said. I just don't think young children should be left alone in the garden. They could do anything, even just fall over and hit their head or cut themselves on something.

Like I already said, not about cats, it about basic sanitation.
    I have absoloutley no problem with cats and I don't dislike them.
    I dislike spending my free time cleaning up after my neighbours cats.

Unbelievable.

You're coming across as a very irresponsible parent. Do you just leave your kid on it's own to dig around in the muck? Yeah it's the neighbours cats, fault not yours.

Yeah you shouldn't have to clean up after cats. But wild animals like rats, mice and foxes come into gardens and poo too, not to mind birds, and they can transmit plenty of diseases/parasites too. I just think animals have the right to roam, unless it is dangerous to them or people (like it is with dogs, rabbits, etc.).

And all animals are so much happier indoors. I think it's cruel to keep an animal indoors 24/7 unless you have to (don't have a garden, have a busy road by your house, or something) or it's something that can't go outside, like a hamster. If you have a garden then the animal would be happier to have access to it, and that includes cats, and you can't keep your cats in your garden easily. Imagine if a person never left the house.

And dogs do annoying things too even when in their own garden. Most dogs will bark at sometime, but nobody is going to say all dogs have to be indoors. Dogs on leads going for a walk annoy people who are scared of them or don't like them, but we can't ban dog walking.

It's just unrealistic to make cats be confined. Maybe in the future, but not right now in Ireland. I can't see it happening soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

Exactly, you can't be an animal lover and hate cats. I find it really weird how people think that cats are evil. It's so old fashioned from when people thought cats were associated with satan and witches. If somebody doesn't like cats, maybe they just don't understand them. People are always saying how bad cats are, but if someone came on here and said "I hate labs/staffies/collies" or whatever, then people would attack them.

I dont hate cats, i hate roaming, uncontrolled cats in my property infringing on my dogs and house. My dogs aren't a nuisance, the cats that come in, crap everywhere, torment my dogs and prevent me leaving any windows open are.

And while all dog laws can't be imposed on cats, there should be a law for them to be controlled. maybe they should be muzzled and kept on a leash 1.5m long? Oh and have little bags tied to their arses like the horses pulling carriages around st stephens green ;) everyone's happy then. Safe cats and no poop

it looks like cat poo , cats are the only creatures that poo that size who can get in the garden and on occasion i have seen them doing it .

Any more idiotic questens ???

That's an amazing ability you have there. Do you have to sniff it or touch it with your tongue or do you just know? Like a feeling or something?

You are coming across as irrational and selfish.
    Your previous posts demonstate this amply based on the argument that your cat(s) should be allowed crap where they please and the inconvienence this causes your neighbours is just tuff on them.

Even the pro cat lobby must have some empathy for the people
    cleaning up after their pets.

WTF :confused:

adser53 wrote: »
    I dont hate cats, i hate roaming, uncontrolled cats in my property infringing on my dogs and house. My dogs aren't a nuisance, the cats that come in, crap everywhere, torment my dogs and prevent me leaving any windows open are.

In your case I think you have a genuine reason to be annoyed. But I have never known any cats that poohed in my garden (at least if they did, they buried it), came in my windows, or anything like that. And there have been lots of unneutered tom cats around always.

I find it really unusual that cats are crapping everywhere and not burying it.

• Advertisement

I don't think people should have to clean up poo, and I guess I can see why it annoys you.

I just never thought of it because it really wouldn't annoy me, I mean it's just poo. And no cat has ever poohed in my garden??? (Except when I had kittens around and they had yet to figure out how to bury pooh.) But yeah, wild animals pooh in my garden, and I don't care. It's going to happen and I can't do anything about it because they have a right to roam. It's not like I own the garden more than they do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

ever step in fox poo? That's really bad;)

Why so many animal haters on the pet board? .
    Where do you get animal haters from?? Just because some one thinks that people should be responsible pet owners does not make them animal haters
    Point taken. All poo is bad and it would be great if there was a solution. Imposing dog laws on them is not the answer..
    there is a solution dont let your cat poo in other people propertys and if it poo's in public pick it up. this is not a cat vs dog thing it is a respect for others thing

And you cannot impose one law to urban cat owners and another to rural cat owners. All cars are equal but some are more equal than others ;-)
    all cars ane not equal , hence why licencing reflect that they are different , in anycase comparing cars to cats is a stupid analagy , there are different laws for working dogs as aposed to non working so if that route was to be gone down it can be worked
    but if the child is young enough to go near cat faeces then shouldn't it be supervised in the garden anyway/
    do you expect people to sift threw sand pits and flower beds every time they want to bring a child into their own garden ??? poo can still be degraded enough be indistigushabul (parden my spelling) from soil and still carry paracites . in any case the cat owner is at fault not the child , the fact that you would put a cat above the suffering of as child says alot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Right people can we please keep this on topic to reasons for and against Cat Licenses, not bickering

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Explain anything to a 2 year old. Do you want to ban cars because your 2 year old doesn't understand road safety...
    :rolleyes:
    Ok in relation to cars and cat licences:
    Firstly you need a license for a car.
    Secondly we have fines & laws regarding the safety of cars & people using them.
    Thirdly you can't drive cars anywhere you... ...nevermind.

do you expect people to sift threw sand pits and flower beds every time they want to bring a child into their own garden ??? poo can still be degraded enough be indistigushabul (parden my spelling) from soil and still carry paracites . in any case the cat owner is at fault not the child , the fact that you would put a cat above the suffering of as child says alot

I didn't say that you should sift throught he sand pit and flower beds. Just to know that soil (whether cats have been there or not) can have dangerous things in it. And you can cover sand pits. Of course children should be let outside but if you don't want them to pick up parasites then don't let them mess around in soil. It's not just cats, it's birds, rats, mice, foxes, and other animals. There are animals everywhere that will contaminate soil. They all carry disease, bacteria and parasites.

I never said that I was putting a cat above the suffering of a child, and to just say things like that is really not a good argument.

star-pants wrote: »
    Right people can we please keep this on topic to reasons for and against Cat Licenses, not bickering

Exactly, though I don't know if there's any more to add. :P SOme people say cats should be licensed, they have several good reasons and some not so good reasons. Maybe they should be licensed but it's not very practical or likely to happen soon. There's good reasons why they should be let roam too, so who knows who's right.

Explain anything to a 2 year old. Do you want to ban cars because your 2 year old doesn't understand road safety, ban !
    Last time i checked it was still against the law to drive threw peoples back gardens with out permision

Don't tell me our parks and streets do not have dog poo on them!
    who was trying to tell you that ??? ant it is the responcablity of the dog owner to pick it up or face a fine
    That's an amazing ability you have there. Do you have to sniff it or touch it with your tongue or do you just know? Like a feeling or something?
    now you are just being a troll

I never said that I was putting a cat above the suffering of a child, and to just say things like that is really not a good argument.
    reread your post,

• Advertisement

I think there are many good reasons to license cat's, few not to and I believe it will happen sooner than people think.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement