Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I prepare a general answer on King Lear,Leterary Genre,Cultural Context,Poets...

Options
  • 05-05-2010 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

and make them suit into the asked question??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭user12

partitularly for LG and CC ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

First off, try not to double post :)
    While English teachers are sure to recommend against learning off a general answer for each question, I think if you were good enough at English and knew your facts well enough you'd get on fine. However, if you knew your facts well enough, you wouldn't need to be learning off answers :P

You'd get on ok with it, as long as you can suit it to the question asked well enough. You wouldn't be looking at an A in august though, unless you were very lucky.

You'd probably be better off learning general points and quotes that can be used for multiple things, and learn points of comparison for the comp. study, and poet's general themes for the poetry.

I discovered a while back that you can get away with only explicitly referring to 3 or 4 poems in the poetry question and they can't dock marks for not referring to enough poems.

And for the single text, for shakespeare's works anyway, there is always one question on themes and one question on characters, and you can pick between them, so I'm just going to focus on studying the characters, which cuts out a sizable amount of material to revise.

Happy studying!

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭irish_man

firstly dont bother with that cultural context.
    just do LG and V&V
    you can prepare standard for them answers however its a bit late now,
    you can't prepare a standard answer for lear but you can for the poets :D

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

irish_man wrote: »
    firstly dont bother with that cultural context.
    just do LG and V&V
    you can prepare standard for them answers however its a bit late now,
    you can't prepare a standard answer for lear but you can for the poets :D

Why not bother with CC ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

It's not due up, but I'd still look over it though just in case.

Comparitive is wingable, Lear is wingable. Work is needed for poetry though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Work is needed for poetry though.
    Poetry is pretty much a prepared answer as you know what the q will be, but which poet(s) is the real question

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

I think for the poets if you have a personal response learnt then you can pretty much fit it in any question with a bit of tweaking. The comparative is a bit harder to do that because the question is usually a bit more specific and more difficult to simply tweak.

Lear, not possible unfortunately :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Ceres Legend

First off, try not to double post :)

And for the single text, for shakespeare's works anyway, there is always one question on themes and one question on characters, and you can pick between them, so I'm just going to focus on studying the characters, which cuts out a sizable amount of material to revise.

Happy studying!

Are you sure about this? So if I revise only Themes and forget characters I will be fine?

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

Are you sure about this? So if I revise only Themes and forget characters I will be fine?
    theoretically yes,but what if there's a really hard/awkward themes question and an easier characters question.You'd kick yourself in the balls for leaving out characters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

gant0 wrote: »
    theoretically yes,but what if there's a really hard/awkward themes question and an easier characters question.You'd kick yourself in the balls for leaving out characters.

Especially as the characters side of things is much easier to learn. SOOO many different themes and sub themes to be asked about. I'm focusing on one and doing some light reading on the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Don't forget that a question often comes up on the appeal of a play or its dramatic qualities. For this, the easiest approach is theme and character. Look over the past Shakespearean questions, it's easy enough to see the type of titles that come up.

In fairness, Shakespeare is the most work to prepare for as it's so broad. Your poetry and comparative can be prepared in advance and adapted on the day.

Advertisement