Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Huge Corrib trout

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭tomybhoy

You spend your life dreaming of catching one that size.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

A tremendous fish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭premiercad

That's a beast! wasn't the sheelin record broke earlier this year also?

Big discussions around on the uk forums regarding FEROX trout at the mo.

wondering what people think here.

Are ferox trout;

a: salmo trutta that have just got big started eating fish /cannibalising and deforming.

or

b: a genetic strain of trout that is predesposed to growing to large sizes with these defects big teeth/jaw long life..etc already preprogramed from birth.

Personally I was always told these big fish had "turned cannibal" once they were big enough to escape the creel and needed to eat fish to maintain enough energy, but the scientists are I believe leaning towards option b above.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭jolter

always knew their were some big trout in the corrib, a cracking fish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

yes Sheelin record was broken this year 15lbs 2oz i think, and there are no ferox in Sheelin!!!

That is a fine fish and he let it back too, well done that man, a real angler, very good to see indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

What a fish, good job DryFlyFishing didn't catch it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Well done to him for releasing such a beauty. Could teach a few of our own a thing or two about respect for fish - heard of a local who killed 6 ferox trout last week. This guy and his buddy apparently caught 8 more big trout between 70 and 87cm, as well as the big one, and released them all.
    Check out tomorrow's Irish Indo for an article about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭bribren2001

Zzippy wrote: »
    heard of a local who killed 6 ferox trout last week.

yeah hard to believe aint it, question is why? i cant imagine a ferox been to tasty to eat? kind of like a big pike!! one for the table maybe but what they do with the other five?

lads like them want to be named and shamed....

You will hear this and that, its most likely imo not true and spread by antis as the greens policy advisors are on record as saying they want an end to all hunting including fishing, shooting, coursing, fox hunting.
    They are also against track racing, its an end to sports or hobbys where there is human interaction with species imo.

tomybhoy wrote: »
    You will hear this and that, its most likely imo not true and spread by antis as the greens policy advisors are on record as saying they want an end to all hunting including fishing, shooting, coursing, fox hunting.
    They are also against track racing, its an end to sports or hobbys where there is human interaction with species imo.

nonsense it is true, some 'anglers' are smoking them and exporting them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Tender Hoop

Foreigners returning fish eh?? Gentleman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

yeah hard to believe aint it, question is why? i cant imagine a ferox been to tasty to eat? kind of like a big pike!! one for the table maybe but what they do with the other five?

lads like them want to be named and shamed....

Not going to name names but there is a local who years ago had 27 10lb + fish over the season and twice had 4 in one day. I cant confirm he killed all 27 but I know he killed the 4 in one day twice as I saw the photos in the magazine.
    Some of the local anglers are the biggest fish mongers on the lake, I emphasis some as I do know locals that care deeply for the lake, seems to be the older generation are quicker with the priest than the younger.

stylie wrote: »
    Some of the local anglers are the biggest fish mongers on the lake, I emphasis some as I do know locals that care deeply for the lake, seems to be the older generation are quicker with the priest than the younger.

totally correct

Are you saying that green party advisors are not on record stating that they want angling banned?

Are you saying that green party advisors are not on record stating that they want angling banned?

to be honest i dont know what the green party people have said, i dont pass much remarks of them, they are a diminishing minority and will be gone after the next election, thank god.
    i am saying that there are some people killing too many trout, even big ferox, they smoke them and sell them, i cant see anything sporting about that

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Sfinn

smoke trout with capers, Hmmmmm:p I think its time for lunch:D All this talk of food!!

I can't remember what trout tastes like, it been sooooo long;) Whats a priest for anyways:D is it something to do with C&R or dryfly!!!;)

People could very well be doing that but as other sports have seen it could also be the animal activists putting about such stories as they have done very recently with other sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭cremeegg

respect the fish...

People could very well be doing that but as other sports have seen it could also be the animal activists putting about such stories as they have done very recently with other sports.

possibly,, but i am not so sure...all anglers know people who are 'anglers' and they kill a lot of fish they catch and they are nothing to do with the animal rights extremists. just mutton-heads living in the 1890s with nothing between their ears except a big ball of sh1t.
    theres nothing wrong with taking 1 for the pot now and again but some people are too greedy, last season there was a four trout bag limit introduced on the corrib and the amount of moaning by the mutton-heads was un-real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

Anyways, what a trout!:D

• Advertisement

possibly,, but i am not so sure...all anglers know people who are 'anglers' and they kill a lot of fish they catch and they are nothing to do with the animal rights extremists. just mutton-heads living in the 1890s with nothing between their ears except a big ball of sh1t.
    theres nothing wrong with taking 1 for the pot now and again but some people are too greedy, last season there was a four trout bag limit introduced on the corrib and the amount of moaning by the mutton-heads was un-real.

I have fished the Corrib and it is a most pleasureable few days when I go, I also fish Waterville.
    I personally have not seen people killing everything they catch but obviously a minority of people will do that given the opportunity.
    I think the activists will become center stage very soon and the mutton heads will be a distant memory given the activists are intent on banning fishing.

not sure about that, i cant see angling being banned any time soon. if angling is banned we will have to close down abattoirs and tell farmers to stop farming animals for human consumption, then we will tell the restaurants to stop selling meat, tell the shops not to sell any animal products, leather banned, perfume etc etc where do you draw the line?? while you are correct to raise the issue those people you are talking about don't live in the real world, they are a fanatical minority, but a dangerous one nonetheless.

You have it in one Iron, that is the campaign which is ongoing.
    The Green Party keep commenting about their program for Government but will not answer to the fact that their advisors are on record as saying that after fox hunting and coursing they are going after angling and shooting.
    It is very dangerous to think they are not capable of banning it through the back door as they are trying to do with greyhounds through the dog breeding legislation bill which is currently being debated, we didnt think anything about this bill as it was to concentrate on puppy farms but then the greens added in all the extra stuff to hurt the greyhound industry.

Read a comment from Green Policy advisor Bernie Wright.

Added to the forthcoming end to carted Stag hunting and the Ward Union Stag abuse, things are certainly not going their way. And Yes, fox hunting , fishing, shooting, and the whole animal abusing community will be next in line …yes…..just call this the vegan agenda.

You have it in one Iron, that is the campaign which is ongoing.
    The Green Party keep commenting about their program for Government but will not answer to the fact that their advisors are on record as saying that after fox hunting and coursing they are going after angling and shooting.
    It is very dangerous to think they are not capable of banning it through the back door as they are trying to do with greyhounds through the dog breeding legislation bill which is currently being debated, we didnt think anything about this bill as it was to concentrate on puppy farms but then the greens added in all the extra stuff to hurt the greyhound industry.

Read a comment from Green Policy advisor Bernie Wright.

Added to the forthcoming end to carted Stag hunting and the Ward Union Stag abuse, things are certainly not going their way. And Yes, fox hunting , fishing, shooting, and the whole animal abusing community will be next in line …yes…..just call this the vegan agenda.

I don't think anyone (even a green party member) would label somethign a vegan agenda.
    Anyways, brownie or ferox?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭scartman1

fontanalis wrote: »
    I don't think anyone (even a green party member) would label somethign a vegan agenda.

Fontanalis
    You are right in that you would think that no one could have a vegan agenda, even a Green, but it is an Animal Rights Agenda.
    It is probably correct to say that angling is not in any danger at present given the numbers that are involved in it. I go fishing myself and like to Shoot also along with Coursing, and the latter field sports are definately in the sights of the Green Party, who have a considerable rump of Animal Rights Activists wagging their tail.
    All field sports share the same standards and it is unfortunate that shooting and coursing are the current targets. All field sports should stand together to support each other. Can you imagine if a shooter or Greyhound Owner was prevented from following his chosen sport by a few misguided antis and put yourself in his shoes. Apathy amongst the field sports organisations to the Anti Agenda, from Fox Hunting, Shooting, Coursing, Deer Stalking, Fishing etc has not served field sports well.

Its worth considering!

Thats part of the interview this person gave to aliberation.
    She heads the hunt saboteurs and many other anti groups all using the same PO BOX 4374.
    Think what you will but this person is seriously out of kilter with reality, these groups support terrorism and have been know to break green bottles and spread them in fields to cut the paws off hunting dogs.

I should have said "I would like to think" but these PETA types are delusional. The best way to deal with them is mockery, don't some morons protest outside Rorys the odd time?
    Fishing will never be banned but I do think that anglers can do better by encouraging C&R etc

.....but I do think that anglers can do better by encouraging C&R etc

In Germany, a Green Party government banned Cthe release of caught fish on grounds of "cruelty" and essentially made the law into an "Anglers must kill all they catch" situation.
    The PETA lobby within the Green movement probably had a lot to do with that. So very strange decisions can be made in the name of "conservation" by novices at wildlife management who get into political decision making positions.

coolwings wrote: »
    In Germany, a Green Party government banned Cthe release of caught fish on grounds of "cruelty" and essentially made the law into an "Anglers must kill all they catch" situation.
    The PETA lobby within the Green movement probably had a lot to do with that. So very strange decisions can be made in the name of "conservation" by novices at wildlife management who get into political decision making positions.

Great post!
    Its time to contact your local TD's now and dont listen to its not in the program for government as that is their standard reply to anything they are trying to get banned in the future.

• Advertisement

If that is to be successful, that is, to get a clear statement of support for angling in the Green party manifesto, also to get a clear rejection of PETA anti angling activism, then the approach most likely to get a good result is for the leaders of the Angling Federations to make contact together with the promise of a clear recommendation to their federation members to support or withdraw votes in numbers, based on the response from the Party.

Advertisement