Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huge Corrib trout

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

People who take the very large ferox trout, usually do so to have them stuffed as a trophy. I doubt they are good eating.

As for the Green Party - I wouldn't worry about them, angling won't ever be banned. And tbh many of the general public have a soft-spot for fellow cuddly mammals - hence opposition to hunting - but don't have the same love for our under water friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭tomybhoy

snow ghost wrote: »
    People who take the very large ferox trout, usually do so to have them stuffed as a trophy. I doubt they are good eating.

As for the Green Party - I wouldn't worry about them, angling won't ever be banned. And tbh many of the general public have a soft-spot for fellow cuddly mammals - hence opposition to hunting - but don't have the same love for our under water friends.

There are far more fish killed as a % of the overall population than our cuddly friends who are protected and that is where they are coming from, assuming that it is ludicrious is a big big mistake with these people.

The Coursing Community thought their conservation efforts made the case for Coursing a NO Brainer, the North banned Coursing 6 years ago and has seen a decline in the overall population of 50%, the hare is thriving down south and a fraction of 1% of the total hare population in the south is lost to Coursing each year, in return the hare population have preserves where they are protected from poachers, innoculated for disease, wormed and generally looked after.
    The antis still come and their beliefs are so far fetched it is untrue, most people think it is silly and wont go any further but this apathy has allowed them to make inroads the last few years.

Dont take chances lads, they have stated categorically that after Coursing and Fox Hunting it will be Fishing and Shooting next on the list, its time to take them seriously and do something about it or your kids wont get the opportunity to partake in the same passtimes that you have done throughout your life.

I wont be losing too much sleep worrying about it tomybhoy - it will never happen. And I don't see any need to contact my TD about it.

Angling is not under threat to any extent and never will be.

Hare coursing, fox hunting and those deer hunts are a different matter altogether, if anything it is the blood sports lobby trying to scaremonger and garner support by bringing angling into the equation.

When people are banned from eating fish fingers I might start worrying but any reasonable person knows that isn't going to happen.

Angling is on the list, this is a global campaign by terrorists that now have a foothold in Ireland.
    When you see a man who was imprisoned in the UK for his animal activist activities lecturing in UCD.......they are getting their people in place to rachet up the campaign and Angling will suffer, remember our Governments of the past sold out ourt fishing Industry a long time ago and have no bother finishing it off altogether if the right set of circumstance present themselves..........

Sorry tomybhoy, I just don't share your major fear of a global terrorist campaign against angling... but if you spot any suicide bombers targeting anglers at Lough Corrib I might reconsider. :eek:

On a serious note angling is worth too much to the economy and tourism for any governments here to outlaw it. Moreover, it has a special place in our heritage and culture. Many blood sports here have political associations, and are seen by some as the remnants of a colonial establishment, plus humans being mammals tend to feel for other mammals beng ripped to pieces by hounds a bit more than they do a mackeral being hooked on a feather.

I think you need to have a strong cup of tea and worry about things that really are possible. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭scartman1

The Green Party have a lot of unusual elements in their ranks who have a considerable influence on their policy. They are practically overtaking the more moderate forces within the party.
    PETA, are a crowd that i had not heard about until recently but the Irish Anti Field sports lobby have a strong links with them. Any right minded person, if they studied their ideologies and tactics, would have the hair standing on your head afterwards. They are intent on ramming these policies down everybodies throats.

I would be a person that generally minded my own business and put down these anti's and greens for the cranks that they are, and basically ignored them to date. However I have seen that they have a strong foothold in this current government and I was anxious that they not get sops from the government to damage field sports in any way.
    I wrote to a few TD's expressing my concerns and posted like I am now on a few forums to express my concern at how they were attacking field sports, and were going to ban the Ward Union and have a go at the Greyhound Industry thro the dog Breeding Establishments Bill. I suffered from apathy for too long and feel somewhat better doing something. I would ask others to consider what they can do. It will effect us all at the end of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Octopus

reading the posts above re the green party i believe, unfortunately, that our greatest enemy at the moment is complacency.

I agree that angling will not be banned in this country, not due to it's popularity as a sport but due to the revenue that it creats especially in these hard times.

Our attitudes seem to be 'sure it's terrible about them ward union lads but i'm ok'. The green party have a set agenda against not blood sports but sport that involves animals (and they include angling in this).
    Time to row together on this. Now it does not always involve going to the next RISE meeting or campaigning your local TD (great if you can) but keep it in mind for the next local / general election and make sure as many of your friends and associates as possible are fully informed as to who conserves the countryside, rivers and streams of this country and who just talks about it. ;)

Right... so we have a number of Ward Union supporters here on this forum that want to drag angling into the foray that they are involved in.

Sorry boys, but we didn't come down in the last shower - I can see your agenda, and it aint gonna work, it has nothing to do with you being concerned about angling.

Much more, I sincerely hope they ban the ward union, and whats more, with your actions here trying to involve angling in this matter... I am going to write to every TD I have ever heard of requestng that they ban the ward union.

Go try and use somebody else, we aint that stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Tinytony

I think TomyBohy is being a tad melodramatic above but he is not far off the mark as regards these animal rights activists. They have some seriously deluded members amongst their ranks and they are very influential within the Green Party. Remember alot of these people are the ones responsible for decimating some of our rivers by the liberating of hundreds of mink without any thoughts of the damage they would do to local wildlife.

Only last month they released a video of what was purported to be a hare being killed at the national coursing meeting in Clonmel. But when the video was exmined more closely it was plain to see that the whole thing was staged and the hare in the video was actually being strangled by a wire noose that had been placed around it's neck for the purpose of recording the video.

Myself I can't see there being any concerted push to get angling banned in this country in the immediate future. As mentioned above it provides huge tourist revenue and the majority of people view it in a totally different light to field sports. That said I would still support the actions of RISE pretty much on the basis that I feel the Greens see the banning of the Ward Union hunt as a stepping stone towards implenting other bans on rural pursuits to appease their more radical elements. My main concern in the short term would be about them deciding to "regulate" fishing and introducing impractical rules etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Niall Gavin

Sorry tomybhoy, I just don't share your major fear of a global terrorist campaign against angling... but if you spot any suicide bombers targeting anglers at Lough Corrib I might reconsider. :eek:

On a serious note angling is worth too much to the economy and tourism for any governments here to outlaw it. Moreover, it has a special place in our heritage and culture. Many blood sports here have political associations, and are seen by some as the remnants of a colonial establishment, plus humans being mammals tend to feel for other mammals beng ripped to pieces by hounds a bit more than they do a mackeral being hooked on a feather.

I think you need to have a strong cup of tea and worry about things that really are possible. ;)

Maybe they do snowghost but from my perspective, I always thought that the fish suffered greater than the fox. A fox is killed almost instantly whereas Ive often had a fish on a line for 20 mins. He's then taken out of his environment to where he partly suffocates/culled/released.

Personally, I have no problem with either and have spent many a sunday up the lake or following a hunt on foot. But dont be fooled if you think fishing will be exempt, these people have nothing else to do with their lives and will move from sport to sport. Their downfall is that they cannot differentiate between that mackerel and ourselves or any other animal and the last time I checked, they were not speciesist.

• Advertisement

Maybe they do snowghost but from my perspective, I always thought that the fish suffered greater than the fox. A fox is killed almost instantly whereas Ive often had a fish on a line for 20 mins. He's then taken out of his environment to where he partly suffocates/culled/released.

Personally, I have no problem with either and have spent many a sunday up the lake or following a hunt on foot. But dont be fooled if you think fishing will be exempt, these people have nothing else to do with their lives and will move from sport to sport. Their downfall is that they cannot differentiate between that mackerel and ourselves or any other animal and the last time I checked, they were not speciesist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

I think it is misleading comparing angling to hunting, now I know nothing of hunting but there is a huge difference between hunting and angling,, and you have said it yourself the fox is killed. In angling a good angler has the choice to return the fish relatively un-harmed to continue its life. When the fox is caught by the hounds do they turn around and say “ok Mr. Fox go now and have a nice life”, no they flitter him to pieces. The same when a pheasant gets his arse blown off by a shot gun he is then dead full stop,, so you cant really compare them.. Some forms of hunting were banned in Britain is angling banned in Britain? of course there are extremists who will want angling banned but we will always have that minority, and the majority do not support them.

Hi ironbluedon.
    You are 100 % correct in your assertion that the angler has a choice to return the fish. But I know where I would put a trout that I caught, and that is into my bag to bring home. How many fishermen also operate this way?
    TBH I find your post somewhat hypocritical, you feel its ok to hook a fish for X amount of time but its not ok to shoot a pheasant? Is it because the fish is smaller or what is your reasoning? I dont want to come across that I have something against angling but I don't understand how you can distinguish between the two, the outcome is the same, an animal is used for sport/food. I think anyone who is involved in these types of sports should stand together as opposed to sniping that one sport is morally better than another.

Right... so we have a number of Ward Union supporters here on this forum that want to drag angling into the foray that they are involved in.

Sorry boys, but we didn't come down in the last shower - I can see your agenda, and it aint gonna work, it has nothing to do with you being concerned about angling.

Much more, I sincerely hope they ban the ward union, and whats more, with your actions here trying to involve angling in this matter... I am going to write to every TD I have ever heard of requestng that they ban the ward union.

Go try and use somebody else, we aint that stupid.

I think your attitude is unfortunate and shortsighted. Personally I have never gone Fox Hunting or even seen the Ward Union. I must admit that i have since my youth had a coursing dog from time to time, I go fishing and go shooting from time to time.
    Morally I see very little difference between any of the field sports and how they are carried out. I believe if anyone was to consider it fully then we would all reach the same conclusion.
    I certainly am in favour of avoiding a ban on the Ward Union, and yes i see that all field sports should band together to achieve this. There is no hidden agenda, its just a logical and necessary step to take.
    I would not be proud of myself, if i , having considered that my field sports are morally identical , that i let a fellow sportsman be denied his right to his sport. An 'I'm alright Jack' attitude is not really a good position to take.

An earlier poster mentioned that in Germany, the Greens got C&R outlawed. How would you like to fight this issue if it was to arise. Surely the support of fellow field sports organisations who really know about conservation would be helpfull in putting your position across to government.

Please consider what is best for the overall of field sports !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I think a few people are loosing the run of themselves. There is no threat to Angling. Certainly the pro Hunt people want us to think it is but it's just a cheap attempt to gain support for their cause.
    The talk of terrorists is a bit over the top and is an insult to any of us who felt the impact of true terrorism in this country for so long.
    I think some people are trying to convince us that there is a huge campaign to eradicate all forms of country sports just so they can boost their delusions that the Animal Rights lobby are much more active and violent than is true.
    Let's enjoy the sport and stop trying to make out there is a huge political issue here.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

What sort of fox hunting are you talking about ?

anyway this debate could and would go on for years.........great to see a big ferox like that and returned alive.....fair play to that angler.......its a hard thing to do to let such a big fish back........but the fish is alive and hopefully will spawn this year..:D

... A fox is killed almost instantly ...I have no problem with either and have spent many a sunday up the lake or following a hunt on foot....
    Following the hunt on foot obviously means you were some way behind the action because I have seen several Foxes caught by hounds and, let's just say, death was not instant by any means.
    I'm not anti-hunting at all but let's be truthful about it. I fish. I know the fish must suffer but I accept it as part of the process of catching food. And I minimise the suffering as best I can.

Following the hunt on foot obviously means you were some way behind the action because I have seen several Foxes caught by hounds and, let's just say, death was not instant by any means.
    I'm not anti-hunting at all but let's be truthful about it. I fish. I know the fish must suffer but I accept it as part of the process of catching food. And I minimise the suffering as best I can.

Khaleesi Puny Stagehand
    I find it hard to understand your position and why you are posting like you are.
    I and others have stated that angling is not in any immediate danger of being affected by political policies, but it is the telescopic sights of some. My point and that of others was to emphasise the importance of field sports standing together. Would you agree that this is sensible?

Are you against assisting the Ward Union, and Fox Hunting, or would you indeed support its being banned. Your last post indicates that you support angling as a process of catching food only. Do you not catch and release?

As for foot beagle men being behind the action, well I doubt that, they know perfectly well whats involved at the business end of some of their hunts. Its a bit rich to tell a huntsman that he doesn't know his own sport.
    Its hard to know where you stand on these matters. Methinks there is more to you than meets the eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Sfinn

Is there is a troll amongst us!! MODS

• Advertisement

scartman1 wrote: »
    Srameen
    I find it hard to understand your position and why you are posting like you are.
    I and others have stated that angling is not in any immediate danger of being affected by political policies, but it is the telescopic sights of some. My point and that of others was to emphasise the importance of field sports standing together. Would you agree that this is sensible?

Are you against assisting the Ward Union, and Fox Hunting, or would you indeed support its being banned. Your last post indicates that you support angling as a process of catching food only. Do you not catch and release?

As for foot beagle men being behind the action, well I doubt that, they know perfectly well whats involved at the business end of some of their hunts. Its a bit rich to tell a huntsman that he doesn't know his own sport.
    Its hard to know where you stand on these matters. Methinks there is more to you than meets the eye.

Apologies for any confusion.

I disagree that banning Angling is in anybody's sights - telescopic or not - and insist that to assert otherwise is scaremongering.

As for fieldsports standing together. That's tricky. Yes and No. It needs more discussion but too off topic for this thread.

Having seen the Ward Union in action, I'd say no I couldn't support it and would agree on a ban. Fox hunting with horse and hounds would also not get my support - for what that's worth.

Yes, I generally just take fish for food. I release if they are too small and head home when/if I have my dinner!

N. Gavin did not say he was a foot beagle man but that he followed a hunt on foot. A big difference. Many people follow Horse and Hound hunts on foot and from a distance. I did not tell him he did not know his sport and he made no claim that it was such. Please don't put words in my mouth. Regardless, his assertion that the Fox dies instantly is blatantly incorrect. I can attest to that myself.

As to where I stand. My posts over the past 4 years, on principally the Nature & Birdwatching and Animals threads, show exactly what I believe in. I spend not only my working life but my spare time looking after our wildlife, educating others about it and enjoying country pursuits. I resent any insinuation that I may have alterior motives. I'm afraid what you see is what you get.

I hope this has clarified things a bit for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Jesus! A thread about a 25lbs trout on Corrib degenerates into a debate about the bad guys threatening our sport.
    Any chance a mod could split threads when this happens, this is totally off topic. Lads if ye want to talk about PETA or the Vegetable Party start your own thread, don't hijack a perfectly good one. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Tinytony

Zzippy wrote: »
    Jesus! A thread about a 25lbs trout on Corrib degenerates into a debate about the bad guys threatening our sport.
    Any chance a mod could split threads when this happens, this is totally off topic. Lads if ye want to talk about PETA or the Vegetable Party start your own thread, don't hijack a perfectly good one. :rolleyes:

I've heard about that party, apparently there was a very big turnip

....... I'll get my coat.

Srameen,
    Apologies if I misunderstood you. The confusion has arisen from, in my opinion I would respectfully suggest, your inconsistent approach to field sports.
    Your entitled to your view, and I'm sure you have it thought it out but to me it smacks of an A La Carte approach to field sports and to the people who participate in same.
    We are similar in that we both have an interest in Nature, unfortunately I don't have the good fortune to earn my living from it like you, but none the less it is of huge importance to me. You are lucky to be in a position to educate people with regard to nature, but I have a regret that you would advocate that the Ward Union and Fox Hunting should be banned. Both these sports can have a positive influence in introducing people to the countryside allowing them to develope an appreciation of it.

But as they say, 'doctors differ and patients die'. I am simply trying to get the doctors to agree.

Finally, your are right in one thing, we are off thread.

Srameen,
    Bernie Wright a green party policy adviser has stated categorically that angling is on their list to be banned, its all fine and good not believing it but they have said it and are on record saying it...........assuming that angling is alright will be a very big mistake IMO.
    You might find when angling is center stage that others will not stand with ye......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

anyway this debate could and would go on for years.........great to see a big ferox like that and returned alive.....fair play to that angler.......its a hard thing to do to let such a big fish back........but the fish is alive and hopefully will spawn this year..:D

Hang on a minute now. Ferox, what ferox?

Chuileog wrote: »
    Hang on a minute now. Ferox, what ferox?

:confused:you not think its a ferox???????????????:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

I don't know but I would like to think that it's a cannibal brown and that their
    is a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

It probably is a ferox, although a much nicer specimen than many others, but without a DNA analysis its impossible to tell for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Lovely trout. I am convinced there are even bigger specimens in Lough Derg though.

Have come across some whoppers whilst trolling for pike, and although I have not caught one as big as the one in the first post, I have seen ones that looked to be in that weight bracket and myabe bigger.

Advertisement