Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huge Corrib trout

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

Decimation might not be the correct word, but the situation did get very close to it indeed, the population of trout fell by about 80% and by the early1990s it just wasn’t worth fishing. However since the early 2000s the wild indigenous stock of fish has been improving year on year, mainly thanks to improvement in water clarity (zebras) and return of insect life, reduction in roach and pike numbers, catch and release policy of most proper anglers, and most importantly the huge amount of spawning stream rehabilitation work carried out by the Lough Sheelin Trout Protection Association, without them the lough would be dead now no doubt about that. Yes the fishery board put stockies into it on several occasions, that’s an easy cop out solution, these alien fish don’t spawn are not smart enough to survive in a wild environment and usually became food for pike and I haven’t seen many of them in recent seasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭DryFlyFishing

Decimation might not be the correct word, but the situation did get very close to it indeed, the population of trout fell by about 80% and by the early1990s it just wasn’t worth fishing. However since the early 2000s the wild indigenous stock of fish has been improving year on year, mainly thanks to improvement in water clarity (zebras) and return of insect life, reduction in roach and pike numbers, catch and release policy of most proper anglers, and most importantly the huge amount of spawning stream rehabilitation work carried out by the Lough Sheelin Trout Protection Association, without them the lough would be dead now no doubt about that. Yes the fishery board put stockies into it on several occasions, that’s an easy cop out solution, these alien fish don’t spawn are not smart enough to survive in a wild environment and usually became food for pike and I haven’t seen many of them in recent seasons.

what are the fish like to eat? some lakes the fish are not great to eat..

what is an average trout from dy fly on that lake?

there are gazillions of roach in the corrib .... how did sheelin get rid of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

why dont you disprove my comment with your facts??

lough corrib became a very warm lake for a good number of years... did it not???

So you come up with some wild a$$ theory and then ask other to do the leg work to disprove you ? your having a laugh
    Show me the temps of lough Corrib and other other lakes at the same time over the last 40yrs with char populations and we will see how the increase of temperature correlates with the decline/extinction of the Char. It is after all your idea why dont you prove it to us ?

stylie wrote: »
    So you come up with some wild a$$ theory and then ask other to do the leg work to disprove you ? your having a laugh
    Show me the temps of lough Corrib and other other lakes at the same time over the last 40yrs with char populations and we will see how the increase of temperature correlates with the decline/extinction of the Char. It is after all your idea why dont you prove it to us ?

ill tell ya what ... ill go catch a char instead... and show you the video

do you remember in the 80's the very warm aprils that brough the hatch of mayfly end of april???????

all the boats the rocks the water was covered with them... never seen anything like it again...

what are the fish like to eat? some lakes the fish are not great to eat..

what is an average trout from dy fly on that lake?

there are gazillions of roach in the corrib .... how did sheelin get rid of them?

i don't kill or eat trout, i return them all.
    about 2-3lbs biggest got on dry i know was 13lbs a sedge a few years back
    probably the zebras, the population of roach has collapsed in line with the explosion of zebras

it will be interesting to see what the zebras do to the corrib, i suspect things could improve in the short term. But in the long term.........???? who knows, 3 things could happen 1 population of zebras stays the same at a constant level, 2 zebra populations fall back and remain constant at lower population levels or 3 population of zebras crashes causing massive toxic pollution...if scenario 3 happens bye bye mr trout. forever. thankfully 1 or 2 is most likely in most limestone loughs, we will see soon enough.

• Advertisement

do you remember in the 80's the very warm aprils that brough the hatch of mayfly end of april???????

all the boats the rocks the water was covered with them... never seen anything like it again...

I didn't fish Corrib in the 80's.

Nice touch too of asking an angler thats describing the slow painful come back of once great lake what the trout taste like?

I think you should go after the Corrib Char with you dry fly, and ask them what they think of all these localized climate change business.
    i don't kill or eat trout, i return them all.
    about 2-3lbs biggest got on dry i know was 13lbs a sedge a few years back
    probably the zebras, the population of roach has collapsed in line with the explosion of zebras

it will be interesting to see what the zebras do to the corrib, i suspect things could improve in the short term. But in the long term.........???? who knows, 3 things could happen 1 population of zebras stays the same at a constant level, 2 zebra populations fall back and remain constant at lower population levels or 3 population of zebras crashes causing massive toxic pollution...if scenario 3 happens bye bye mr trout. forever. thankfully 1 or 2 is most likely in most limestone loughs, we will see soon enough.

More worried about the weed growth myself, even though nobody(not even DryFly) knows the long term effects of zebras on our waters.
    I think they are in the great lakes some 30yrs and still they dont know if they are a good or a bad thing

i would love to see a video of someone catching a char on a DRY fly from an irish lough...........:rolleyes:

roach seem to eat every nymph in sight... do you think the massive roach population on the corrib has affected the mayfly hatch over a good number of years...

i would love to see a video of someone catching a char on a DRY fly from an irish lough...........:rolleyes:

LMAO - id research the best tactics to get them and use those.... lol

i think my dry fly rod will be put to bed for a day this year to see if i can get a char.

i think getting a char off the corrib by any method would be great to see..... but i might be hungry.. only jokeing i would release it...

roach seem to eat every nymph in sight... do you think the massive roach population on the corrib has affected the mayfly hatch over a good number of years...

well they have to eat something don't they...if the roach population falls then it is possible that we will see a rise in the fortunes of all up-winged flies........but maybe less larger ferox as they will have less roach to prey on, we all know a roach is a good bait for a ferox.......... i will be on the corrib myself next week if i see ya i will give ya a good slap! (only joking now)

• Advertisement

well they have to eat something don't they...if the roach population falls then it is possible that we will see a rise in the fortunes of all up-winged flies........but maybe less larger ferox as they will have less roach to prey on, we all know a roach is a good bait for a ferox.......... i will be on the corrib myself next week if i see ya i will give ya a good slap! (only joking now)

how many days you fishing the corrib? i was over there last weekend and there was bugger all trout on mayfly... hopefully they might be by monday

ill be the guy holding the hardy rod ... give him a slap.. for me ...lol ... just pick the a smaller guy than you thats holding one

Nice touch too of asking an angler thats describing the slow painful come back of once great lake what the trout taste like?

i thought that was funny... but i was serious.. as i fish to eat.. and release.... had to say that word lol
    I think you should go after the Corrib Char with you dry fly, and ask them what they think of all these localized climate change business.

dynamite might be better :D
    More worried about the weed growth myself, even though nobody(not even DryFly) knows the long term effects of zebras on our waters.
    I think they are in the great lakes some 30yrs and still they dont know if they are a good or a bad thing

i think the weed is great... loads of extra food and cover for the fish... but not good for mayfly... good for mig nymph etc

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

was there any samples taken from the Corrib trout?

No, the fish was photographed, weighed and released. The guys wouldn't have even thought to take a scale sample and had no equipment to take tissue samples either.

i thought that was funny... but i was serious.. as i fish to eat.. and release.... had to say that word lol

dynamite might be better :D

i think the weed is great... loads of extra food and cover for the fish... but not good for mayfly... good for mig nymph etc

You do realise the weed Im on about will devastate all life under it in the lake dont you ?
    google Lagarosiphon and its effects

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭bribren2001

id give me left leg to fish sheelin back in the 60s and 70s, was by far one of the best trout lakes in ireland for the overall size of fish....

Yep,only for the LSTPA sheelin would be dead and fair play to them,there doing mighty work and lets hope they bring sheelin back to her best. The fisheries boards are a waste of time.....putting half dead diseased stockies into it so they can tell foreigners oh all our lakes are full with trout....

You do realise the weed Im on about will devastate all life under it in the lake dont you ?
    google Lagarosiphon and its effects

it seems to only grow in 10-20 feet of water?

as long as there is a bit of lake gardening the lake is fine..

at least some areas on the lake dont get boats driving on top of trout all day...

id give me left leg to fish sheelin back in the 60s and 70s, was by far one of the best trout lakes in ireland for the overall size of fish....

what was the average size in the 60/70's?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Most fish between 1 3/4 and 2 1/2 lbs.
    I guess there was between 10 and 20 times the number of trout in it compared to what is there today.
    I expect the biomass of roach + trout now is close to the biomass of trout then.
    There were more olives then as I can remember than now.
    Perch were fewer and bigger. They have multiplied since then. Rotonone poison was used then to kill the spawning perch in the shallows, and shrubs were immersed and then lifted once the perch spawn was adhering to them.
    Trout anglers were killing everything they caught and speeding up the decline immeasurably.

at least some areas on the lake dont get boats driving on top of trout all day...

Lake gardening?

The weed grows in water up to 6m deep, that includes all the shallow bays. It grows so thickly that fishing, boating, even swimming is impossible - if you drove a boat into it you would be stopped pretty fast. If left unchecked it will render most areas of the lake shallower than 6m inaccessible to angling. Still think its a good thing?

Zzippy wrote: »
    Lake gardening?

The weed grows in water up to 6m deep, that includes all the shallow bays. It grows so thickly that fishing, boating, even swimming is impossible - if you drove a boat into it you would be stopped pretty fast. If left unchecked it will render most areas of the lake shallower than 6m inaccessible to angling. Still think its a good thing?

well all i can say is what iv experienced...

i drive through it...... mind you you must check your water intake on the engine......for weed.. or your impellor will be bust...

i catch big fish in it.... 5x fluro cuts through the weed as the trout usualy does not dive...

iv no problem with it if it is kept localised..

• Advertisement

coolwings wrote: »
    Most fish between 1 3/4 and 2 1/2 lbs.
    I guess there was between 10 and 20 times the number of trout in it compared to what is there today.
    I expect the biomass of roach + trout now is close to the biomass of trout then.
    There were more olives then as I can remember than now.
    Perch were fewer and bigger. They have multiplied since then. Rotonone poison was used then to kill the spawning perch in the shallows, and shrubs were immersed and then lifted once the perch spawn was adhering to them.
    Trout anglers were killing everything they caught and speeding up the decline immeasurably.

in former times there was a population of trout estimated by fishery scientists to be about 200,000 or more trout, that divided by 20 only gives you 10,000 and there are far more trout in it than that number, if there were 10,000 that's about 2-3 trout per acre while i have no official figures i believe from hard experience on the water that the stock density to far exceed that. the olives have returned, there were some claret duns on it last year and some brown may duns too...but there is a long way to go there.it gets huge hatches of caenis but not many fish them....some people like the cot i suppose.....there are hundreds of sedges on it.....hopefully the improvements will continue.

Yep,only for the LSTPA sheelin would be dead and fair play to them,there doing mighty work and lets hope they bring sheelin back to her best. The fisheries boards are a waste of time.....putting half dead diseased stockies into it so they can tell foreigners oh all our lakes are full with trout....

here's someone who knows what they are talking about...........

i drive through it...... mind you you must check your water intake on the engine......for weed.. or your impellor will be bust...

i catch big fish in it.... 5x fluro cuts through the weed as the trout usualy does not dive...

iv no problem with it if its is kept localised..

You are driving through the normal lake weed. Only an idiot would say Lagarosiphon is a good thing, Lagarosiphon blankets the top layer of the lake decreasing the oxygen content and the sunlight...making any area its in uninhabitable. Just one piece of the plant drifting around in the current can create new colony's. If it wasnt for the weed cutting boat and other preventive measures the lake would be in dire straights, if it isnt already.

lake gardening.......will ya stop.....i think you will need two slaps..........:D

lake gardening.......will ya stop.....i think you will need two slaps..........:D

well the lads that are cutting it every year are doing a great job in localising it

You are driving through the normal lake weed. Only an idiot would say Lagarosiphon is a good thing, Lagarosiphon blankets the top layer of the lake decreasing the oxygen content and the sunlight...making any area its in uninhabitable. Just one piece of the plant drifting around in the current can create new colony's. If it wasnt for the weed cutting boat and other preventive measures the lake would be in dire straights, if it isnt already.

there is a fat chance in hell that the lake will get rid of it all.... so we got to live with it....

mind you in some areas the weed has been cleared successfully...

if you wanted to get rid of it you need to use divers... and get rid of the roots... not a weed cutting boat

curravagh bay had that weed in it.... and it was cleared successfully... ill be looking in on that bay again this year to see if there is still no weed , im sure i wont be the only one having a look now.... maybe it is an example of how things should be done.... tackle the problem at the root

iv no problem with it if it is kept localised..
    well the lads that are cutting it every year are doing a great job in localising it
    there is a fat chance in hell that the lake will get rid of it all.... so we got to live with it....

mind you in some areas the weed has been cleared successfully...

if you wanted to get rid of it you need to use divers... and get rid of the roots... not a weed cutting boat

curravagh bay had that weed in it.... and it was cleared successfully... ill be looking in on that bay again this year to see if there is still no weed , im sure i wont be the only one having a look now.... maybe it is an example of how things should be done.... tackle the problem at the root

Are you for real?
    1. You're driving through the native weed. Lagarosiphon grows in much denser, thicker colonies which you would not attempt to drive through.
    2. Attempting to drive through Lagarosiphon is extremely irresponsible. Weed fragments which are broken off by your propellor will drift off and form new colonies elsewhere. You're talking about driving through it and all you're worried about is your engine. :rolleyes:
    3. How many divers do you think would be needed to root out all the weed? You're pretty naive if you think its possible. Corrib has 44,000 acres, all the divers in Ireland wouldn't be enough.
    4. The weedcutting boat has removed thousands of tonnes of the weed from several bays. The weed grows back and requires ongoing maintenance. Currarevagh Bay is weed-free for the moment thanks to hard work by fisheries board staff and funding from several agencies. You think that's going to last forever?

Tbh, if you think Lagarosiphon is ok, and you're driving through it, I'd rather not have you fishing the lake. Why don't you do some research before posting ill-informed and irresponsible comments....

how many days you fishing the corrib? i was over there last weekend and there was bugger all trout on mayfly... hopefully they might be by monday

ill be the guy holding the hardy rod ... give him a slap.. for me ...lol ... just pick the a smaller guy than you thats holding one

i will have to watch the weather..........probably towards the end of next week...me thinks....

Tbh, if you think Lagarosiphon is ok, and you're driving through it, I'd rather not have you fishing the lake. Why don't you do some research before posting ill-informed and irresponsible comments....

well said that man...............

• Advertisement

Are you for real?
    1. You're driving through the native weed. Lagarosiphon grows in much denser, thicker colonies which you would not attempt to drive through.
    2. Attempting to drive through Lagarosiphon is extremely irresponsible. Weed fragments which are broken off by your propellor will drift off and form new colonies elsewhere. You're talking about driving through it and all you're worried about is your engine. :rolleyes:
    3. How many divers do you think would be needed to root out all the weed? You're pretty naive if you think its possible. Corrib has 44,000 acres, all the divers in Ireland wouldn't be enough.
    4. The weedcutting boat has removed thousands of tonnes of the weed from several bays. The weed grows back and requires ongoing maintenance. Currarevagh Bay is weed-free for the moment thanks to hard work by fisheries board staff and funding from several agencies. You think that's going to last forever?

everyone who has gone into a bay with that weed has driven on it at least once... the weed cutting boat is the worst spreader of fragment... divers only have to clear the combined 2-3 acres that are infected lol i dont know where your getting your 44,000 from[.... well if we only surface cut for years ...people like you will be to blame for the weed being everywhere

i thought currarevagh bay was cleared by a private party???????????????? (now im talking about the effective clearing)

or did you not know someone sent divers to clear it???????????????

Advertisement