Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huge Corrib trout

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

everyone who has gone into a bay with that weed has driven on it at least once... the weed cutting boat is the worst spreader of fragment... divers only have to clear the combined 2-3 acres that are infected lol i dont know where your getting your 44,000 from[.... well if we only surface cut for years ...people like you will be to blame for the weed being everywhere

i thought currarevagh bay was cleared by a private party???????????????? (now im talking about the effective clearing)

or did you not know someone sent divers to clear it???????????????

OK, I was wrong, Corrib is 40,621 acres in size. Huge difference alright. 2-3 acres affected, are you having a laugh? Rinneroon Bay was completely covered in weed 2 years ago, thats a lot more than 2-3 acres. How much of the 40,000 acres do you think is shallower than 6m, and liable to be affected if the weed is left to spread unchecked?
    FYI, here's a map of the spread of Lagarosiphon: 2008 - found at 113 sites around the lake. 2009 ??
    L-major-Corrib-2008.jpg

The weed cutting boat cuts the plant at the lake bed, not the surface. When its operating in a bay the guys place a boom net across the mouth of the bay to stop the fragments escaping into the main lake, or were you not aware of that?
    You are right in that the best way to remove it is to pull it by the root, but that is not feasible on a large scale.
    Do you seriously think someone paid divers to clear a whole bay? Divers have been used on the research project to assess the most effective way to remove the weed, but they can only clear small areas, and are being used more to assess regrowth in cleared areas.

I repeat my assertion, your posts on this issue are misguided, ill informed and irresponsible. Being more concerned about your engine when driving through weed than about spreading it all over the place says it all really - you don't really give a shit. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭DryFlyFishing

as i said = lake gardening = not killing the plant... only mowing the lawn

yes someone payed divers... i can tell you who did if you wanted... as the person that did should get a good hand shake from everyone as it was the most effective and most logical step to take...

in stead you lot will be mowing the lawn for eternity...

maybe if one sent divers when it was found first you would not have the spread... one would rather invest money now than waste all the years of gardening fees lol

well i suppose we live in Ireland,.... LMAO....Ireland is not a logical country..........

most of the effected areas are small... except for a couple of bays......but all those effected areas will be large soon... sure you can mow them to...

anyone want to set up a lake gardening business... sponsored by the tax payer??

and why would people have to drive on the weed if someone was mowing it??????? and no i dont like driving on it... but in windy weather you dont see it...

yea i am more concerned about my engine... because it sounds like no one is doing a thing...go mow the lawn..

Rinneroon Bay is still covered...but it was never completely covered only 50%... what did mowing it achieve???? you will only have to do it every year...

if you want to get rid of the weed you need to kill it at the root.... is there anyone on here that does gardening and will solve the problem?
    how about injecting weed killer into the roots???????????????

most of the 113 sites are only 10-20 feet circular -- can one diver not cope with that..... im sure there are plenty of unemployed people that dive and would like a job doing that on minimum wage.... or for free.. for the summer....just give them room and board

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Sfinn

Dear Dryflyfishing,

I very rarely comment or past judgment on others but in the case I feel I must. I have read you comments on this forum and others with amazement and utter disbelief at times.

I will say this once, you are egotistical individual.

Your comments on promoting our sport are unhelpful. Yes, I believe in free speech. But the way you have conducted your views in a troll like manner are condescending.

If you believe that your videos are helpful in promoting tourism in addition the Corrib then you do not understand what the visiting angler is looking for.

I've spent the last 35 years promoting angling, and the vast majority of this has been with anglers who were looking to enjoy themselves. It was about the craic, the odd fish, meeting people. I've been fortunate to have ghillie traditional style, i.e rowing on the great sea trout lakes, fished with some of the best anglers, some of them now deceased RIP, men and women right up to their eighties. For the vast majority of these people it was not about killing, scores of fish, It was more about the enjoyment of the sport. Lunch, the craic, passing around the hip flask, the accommodation and finally the local hospitality.

It is easy to mock and jib at those who worked for the protection of our lakes and river. I myself may not always agree with what the WRFB do. But i will say this much it was them who highlighted the issue with LAGAROSIPHON MAJOR, sought funding etc, if it was left to the clubs where would we be now!!!

Your comments about letting is spread, is utter nonsense, if we do, say goodbye to the following, a few to mention, dogs bay, long shallows, birchhall, lime, ower bay,Burnthouse, the narrows, ballinduff. For me any one who displays such irresponsibility, is no different that those who pollute our waters, be it from leaving rubbish on the side of the road or on islands, to contaminating our waters.

I've enough said regardless of what your comments maybe. I will engage no further. I will only ask that you listen to yourself.

regards

Sfinn wrote: »
    Dear Dryflyfishing,

I very rarely comment or past judgment on others but in the case I feel I must. I have read you comments on this forum and others with amazement and utter disbelief at times.

I will say this once, you are egotistical individual.

Your comments on promoting our sport are unhelpful. Yes, I believe in free speech. But the way you have conducted your views in a troll like manner are condescending.

If you believe that your videos are helpful in promoting tourism in addition the Corrib then you do not understand what the visiting angler is looking for.

I've spent the last 35 years promoting angling, and the vast majority of this has been with anglers who were looking to enjoy themselves. It was about the craic, the odd fish, meeting people. I've been fortunate to have ghillie traditional style, i.e rowing on the great sea trout lakes, fished with some of the best anglers, some of them now deceased RIP, men and women right up to their eighties. For the vast majority of these people it was not about killing, scores of fish, It was more about the enjoyment of the sport. Lunch, the craic, passing around the hip flask, the accommodation and finally the local hospitality.

It is easy to mock and jib at those who worked for the protection of our lakes and river. I myself may not always agree with what the WRFB do. But i will say this much it was them who highlighted the issue with LAGAROSIPHON MAJOR, sought funding etc, if it was left to the clubs where would we be now!!!

Your comments about letting is spread, is utter nonsense, if we do, say goodbye to the following, a few to mention, dogs bay, long shallows, birchhall, lime, ower bay,Burnthouse, the narrows, ballinduff. For me any one who displays such irresponsibility, is no different that those who pollute our waters, be it from leaving rubbish on the side of the road or on islands, to contaminating our waters.

I've enough said regardless of what your comments maybe. I will engage no further. I will only ask that you listen to yourself.

regards

mowing it is not solving the problem, im sorry if you think it is, the only reason you call me a troll is because i dont agree with the way you think.... thank god i dont

and by the way you called two people on (this thread alone) a troll ... so you do judge people that dont think the same as you...

i know exactly what a visiting angler wants.. and that is a big fish... and all the rest is just fluff around the edges.... as we are there to fish and catch fish ....

Sfinn wrote: »
    Is there is a troll amongst us!! MODS

remember now???:)

iv never trolled a lake ... and i never troll a forum... but by calling people trolls and other name calling i wonder who is actually the troll?

and if you dont think a few fishy photos from a week on the corrib does not make peoples mouths water.... well i dont know what to say to that...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdXyjDVwSmw

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

... and out comes the "dead fish video" once again ......

I'm not sure what your aim is DFF, but you sure like to stir the pot by disagreeing with just about everything that has been researched and proven, and then putting forward your new alternate theory of everything. Has it occurred to you that maybe, just possibly, better informed people might have already considered these matters, including your take on it, and maybe have already picked a better way using knowledge as their method.

You might consider reading up a little on why things are already the way they are before coming on so forthright with your new way. They say fishing is a lifelong study. Well a little study can go a long way in making fishing friends and influencing the value people place on your views. Have a read on various books on the biology of trout, fishery management, and fishery biology, you are interested in the subject I can tell, but still new to it.

I don't think I will be posting any more in this thread .... except .. it was a marvellous trout, that Corrib fish.
    Well done that man for returning it unharmed to mate, spawn and procreate and produce more of it's kind for us and our kids to fish for in the future.

coolwings wrote: »
    ... and out comes the "dead fish video" once again ......

I'm not sure what your aim is DFF, but you sure like to stir the pot by disagreeing with just about everything that has been researched and proven, and then putting forward your new alternate theory of everything. Has it occurred to you that maybe, just possibly, better informed people might have already considered these matters, including your take on it, and maybe have already picked a better way using knowledge as their method.

You might consider reading up a little on why things are already the way they are before coming on so forthright with your new way. They say fishing is a lifelong study. Well a little study can go a long way in making fishing friends and influencing the value people place on your views. Have a read on various books on the biology of trout, fishery management, and fishery biology, you are interested in the subject I can tell, but still new to it.

I don't think I will be posting any more in this thread .... except .. it was a marvellous trout, that Corrib fish.
    Well done that man for returning it unharmed to mate, spawn and procreate and produce more of it's kind for us and our kids to fish for in the future.

i am not disagreeing... i just put an example of what was successful in currarevagh bay...
    the weed needs to be cut so people can fish and drive over the area... but the weed needs to be killed there is no half measure, and if you think that the cutting boat does not let a lot of weed drift away ...after the boat and boom are gone.... well... ill say no more

if there is no other way... then why is currarevagh bay weed free now? ( because some private individual hired a diver)

can any one else give an example of a bay that had the weed and now has none..???????????????????????????????????? and how it was done?

and of course i have to stay on topic to.. that is the best looking ferox iv seen.... amazing colours...
    anyone got a 10 mega pixel photo of it... to see it properly

i presume you do know that most of the infected areas are from people who anchor and then moving position to another part of the lake???

they pull the root out of the ground and bring it with them... they are not cleaning it off fully....

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

i know exactly what a visiting angler wants.. and that is a big fish... and all the rest is just fluff around the edges.... as we are there to fish and catch fish ....

Ah come on, every visiting angler would like the chance of a big fish, but they don't come here just for big fish. Fishing is a lot more than catching fish and I dont think you realize that with your zero appreciation for the fish or the lake.
    People come for the combination of craic, scenary, good times with friends, meeting new ones and of course good fishing. Its a sad git that doesn't take it all in.

stylie wrote: »
    Ah come on, every visiting angler would like the chance of a big fish, but they don't come here just for big fish. Fishing is a lot more than catching fish and I dont think you realize that with your zero appreciation for the fish or the lake.
    People come for the combination of craic, scenary, good times with friends, meeting new ones and of course good fishing. Its a sad git that doesn't take it all in.

lol ... of course people come for the fluff....

but it is the dream of getting a big fish that got them all there in the first place...

if there was no fishing they would go somewhere else....

how would you know what way i appreciate a lake or fish.... because i kill a few to eat you think im bad or dont...lol????? i appreciate them more as they are beautiful to eat.... at the end of the day fish are food...

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

I have seen how you treat the fish in your videos...I keep fish as well but I dont spend two minutes trying to kill them. From your earlier posts its clear you dont appreciate the lake and all its inhabitants. Saying an invasive weed is a good thing..ffs

• Advertisement

stylie wrote: »
    I have seen how you treat the fish in your videos...I keep fish as well but I dont spend two minutes trying to kill them. From your earlier posts its clear you dont appreciate the lake and all its inhabitants. Saying an invasive weed is a good thing..ffs

LMAO --- i was only pointing out the weeds good points... because you lot wont get rid of the weed ill adapt to use it to my advantage... as the fish do ....

all you guys are doing is harvesting it... i am beginning to think people must be smoking it, your growing and harvesting so much every year... and not trying to kill it...

a few minutes????? what to take out a 300 gram knife which is three times heavier than a priest and first whack kills it and the other few are just to kill every bit of residual nerve activity... so it does not tail shake in the bottom of the boat dead...

im sure you all have had a dead fish in the bottom of your boat doing the dead shake...well now you know how to stop that....

but it does not work on all fish ... especially dogfish as you can gut and head them and even 40 minutes later with no head,when you pick them up they will wrap there tail around your arm or hand....

and yes i ate the dogfish....but it tried to get out of the pan ;)

regards
    http://www.youtube.com/user/DryFlyFishing

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

Lovely Trout :-)

Advertisement