Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remember the minarets?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭irishconvert

So now your argument is that no new legislation should be initiated on anything because there is evidence that current legislation is being ignored or not enforced?

That's your words, not mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

It also tells you not to be drunk in public. It also tells barmen not to serve drunk people. Those laws are broken everyday.

I'm failing to connect the logic here to anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

bonkey wrote: »
    Some time ago, we had a good ol' ding-dong of a thread, discussing how the Swiss were or weren't completely out of line to ban minarets.

There were, at that point, two minarets in the country.

In the past week in the Swiss media, it seems like there's quite a storm brewing with moves to start a referendum to ban the burqha.

There are, apparently, less then 100 people estimated to wear this in Switzerland.

The finest democracy on earth rolls on...

The use of uniforms by distinct sections of the public is to be discouraged. Particularly when the uniform in question has religious significance. Even more so when the uniform conceals identity.

Is the Klu Klux Klan veil illegal in America? If not, it should be (if the US public vote on it - woo democracy!)

Hello Mr. Balaclava man. Nice of you to engage with Irish nationalist culture!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

prinz wrote: »
    I'm failing to connect the logic here to anything.

Lack of enforceability seems to be the only logical conclusion drawn from that argument. Not that it is true, cuz being naked, blind drunk or wearing a burqa in public are all pretty easy to spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Now obviously it has to be explored as to why different cultures focus on different parts of the face but in the West we use the whole face to garner information, so restricting this information in public (I still say) is a bad idea for social development.
    We'll have to agree to disagree

No...we can agree that its a bad idea. We just disagree that its a bad idea that needs to be or should be dealt with using legislation.
    You say with the numbers involved it is not a problem - so at what numbers does it become a problem for you?? I'm guessing you have no number.
    I thought it would have been clear...my apologies. I find the likely negative impacts of such an act to society to far outweigh the positive impacts. While its by no means a slippery slope situation, I do feel that taking such steps only heighten already existent tensions, and serve to broaden the divides which hinder integration.

I don't know where you stand in your perception of the likely negative impacts, despite having asked, so I'm not going to try and guess.

For me, when a convincing argument could be made that the positive impacts would be greater, I'd listen to the argument and am open to be persuaded. I would also consider whether or not there were other options (compromises, or entirely different paths) which offered a preferable "least worst option".
    Yes maybe its a proactive restriction to prevent some slippery slope type argument (I'm generally against slippery slope arguments, but then again I'm not calling for a ban) but I'm respecting the right of a country to decide what is acceptable in public and if a ban was to be introduced here (and again I'm not calling for it), I'd be against it....I'd be for a restriction so believers could still have many places to practice their belief that covering their faces makes god love them more.

I'm curious as to how you reconcile support for a restriction over a ban with an insistence that the covering of the face is detrimental to society and that this is to be avoided. Are you of the opinion that some detriment to society in this regard is acceptable...or is the type of restriction you see effectively "anywhere public"?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

I still don't believe it. What part of London. I live in London and have never come accross anything like this. If it did happen the Daily Express & Mail would be all over it.
    Would they? I think you overestimate the omnipresent nature of the red-tops.
    Ok, so any of us can come in here and use made up personal accounts to back up our point.
    Are you still accusing me of lying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Answering that question would result in me banning him.

Please...drop it, or take it to PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭Laminations

bonkey wrote: »
    For me, when a convincing argument could be made that the positive impacts would be greater, I'd listen to the argument and am open to be persuaded. I would also consider whether or not there were other options (compromises, or entirely different paths) which offered a preferable "least worst option".

I'd also like to see a better option, perhaps education in schools over the folly of covering ones face and the importance of the face for understanding and trust amongst people, and also the ability to make ones own mind up about issues rather than deferring responsibility to God.

As an aside, trying to get a feel for how minorities (muslims in particular) feel about integration I came across the following. Irishconvert (in particular), any chance you could give me your opinion on this piece and the subsequent comments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

As an aside, trying to get a feel for how minorities (muslims in particular) feel about integration I came across the following. Irishconvert (in particular), any chance you could give me your opinion on this piece and the subsequent comments.

MPAC, is one guy and a small group of family and friends. They are about as representive of the Muslim community, as the KKK are of Christians. This "new group" they speak of are suspicously similar to MPAC as well btw.....

What was also interesting is that if you read the article, they have major issues, with the more main stream groups preaching intergration and what not.

wes wrote: »
    MPAC, is one guy and a small group of family and friends. They are about as representive of the Muslim community, as the KKK are of Christians. This "new group" they speak of are suspicously similar to MPAC as well btw.....

What was also interesting is that if you read the article, they have major issues, with the more main stream groups preaching intergration and what not.

Yep I dont for one second think that MPAC are representative of the muslim community in Ireland. I also do not think burqa wearers are representative (Bonkey says its a very small figure) and that the more 'mainstream' muslim groups (as you put it) would respect restrictions on facial covering - like the Imam in Italy

'Imam Izzedin Elzir, president of the Islamic Community and Organisations Union in Italy, said: 'We are for the freedom of women and against veils of any kind and Italian laws must be respected.
    'We as an organisation have always said that we are against face veils or coverings in Italy because the law of recognition has to be observed.'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Yep I dont for one second think that MPAC are representative of the muslim community in Ireland. I also do not think burqa wearers are representative (Bonkey says its a very small figure) and that the more 'mainstream' muslim groups (as you put it) would respect restrictions on facial covering - like the Imam in Italy

'Imam Izzedin Elzir, president of the Islamic Community and Organisations Union in Italy, said: 'We are for the freedom of women and against veils of any kind and Italian laws must be respected.
    'We as an organisation have always said that we are against face veils or coverings in Italy because the law of recognition has to be observed.'

I am not fan of the veil myself, but if some people want to wear them, then that is there business imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭irishconvert

Would they? I think you overestimate the omnipresent nature of the red-tops.

Just tell me in what part of London this happened to your sister.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Where have I 'effectively claimed' any such thing? What anyone interprets anything to mean is of no consequence when it comes to the law.

...but you've claimed to interpret the islamic religon in order to back your case for the law. You claim that the Burqa is not part of the islamic faith. You're therefore claiming to be able to tell which is the correct version or reading of Islam.
    And who decides these caveats? The voters perhaps?

Principles of law, I would have thought.
    And neo-nazis should be free to peddle their nonsense in public?

Is this bait and switch time?
    Should people be allowed carry knives, guns etc? If I feel like carrying a gun because I feel like it, and have no intention to use it, is that ok?

In a large number of jurisdictions, yes.
    So is a KKK hood. So is a swastika armband.

Again, another emotive and ridiculous comparison.

Irishconvert please provide one example of where I said a ban should apply to Muslims only and noone else. I have repeatedly and expressly stated the exact opposite.

You stated the same argument against minarets - 'it doesn't just affect muslims'. It was laughable then, it's laughable now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Some people may like or dislike a punks attire. This issue is not as simple as likeability of clothing preference, if you think it is then you misunderstand the importance a human face has for 'face-to-face' interaction.....the clue is in the name

why not ban talking on the phone then

Talking on the phone, similar to conversing/debating online is not an example of face-to-face communication. I think anyone should be allowed were a burqa when talking on the phone. In fact I'm wearing one now but it doesn't matter as this 'converstation' is not face-to-face.

Its also perfectly fine for you or anyone to pull your plum while posting here, it would not be acceptable in a face-to-face encounter, unless of course we'd agreed to some form of sex game.

Talking on the phone, similar to conversing/debating online is not an example of face-to-face communication. I think anyone should be allowed were a burqa when talking on the phone. In fact I'm wearing one now but it doesn't matter as this 'converstation' is not face-to-face.

Its also perfectly fine for you or anyone to pull your plum while posting here, it would not be acceptable in a face-to-face encounter, unless of course we'd agreed to some form of sex game.

so let me see if i understand you

you define a face to face as when two or more people are present and conversing whether or not one persons face is visible or not. is this correct?

a non face to face is when neithers face is visible, this is acceptable but not as preferable as the above. correct

if one persons face is not visible this is so reprehensible as it constitutes a crime?

forgive me if i am miss interpreting

so let me see if i understand you

you define a face to face as when two or more people are present and conversing whether or not one persons face is visible or not. is this correct?

a non face to face is when neithers face is visible, this is acceptable but not as preferable as the above. correct

if one persons face is not visible this is so reprehensible as it constitutes a crime?

forgive me if i am miss interpreting

You lost me.
    I define face-to-face interaction as two or more people interacting with faces/expressions visible (in person/physically present beside one another).

You lost me.
    I define face-to-face interaction as two or more people interacting with faces/expressions visible (in person/physically present beside one another).

ok. is the rest correct?

ok. is the rest correct?

it doesn't matter re numbers of faces covered, it matters re context (place/time). If there was a nuclear winter and the air became toxic, we'd all have to cover our faces, there are situational reasons to cover ones face (some legitimate - motorbike helmet on bike, ski mask on the slopes, others not - motorbike helmet in post office, balaclave in Pennys). As for whether its a crime, it should be treated as an offence in the same way walking into Pennys with your penis exposed would be.

• Advertisement

it doesn't matter re numbers of faces covered, it matters re context (place/time). If there was a nuclear winter and the air became toxic, we'd all have to cover our faces, there are situational reasons to cover ones face (some legitimate - motorbike helmet on bike, ski mask on the slopes, others not - motorbike helmet in post office, balaclave in Pennys). As for whether its a crime, it should be treated as an offence in the same way walking into Pennys with your penis exposed would be.

im not saying the numbers are relevant.

and how is having your penis exposed the same as covering your face when it comes to face to face conversations or walking in pennys

im not saying the numbers are relevant.

and how is having your penis exposed the same as covering your face when it comes to face to face conversations or walking in pennys

I'd see them both covered under decency legislation. If people voted to allow habitual face covering (or indeed, penis waving) then thats fine, its a democracy and I'd accept that that is something I'd encounter when I'm out. I'm just saying if there was a vote (and I'm in no way calling for a vote, its a very trivial thing for me), I'd vote against allowing habitual face covering in certain places.

I'd see them both covered under decency legislation. If people voted to allow habitual face covering (or indeed, penis waving) then thats fine, its a democracy and I'd accept that that is something I'd encounter when I'm out. I'm just saying if there was a vote (and I'm in no way calling for a vote, its a very trivial thing for me), I'd vote against allowing habitual face covering in certain places.

ok now i see what your arguing

in certain places i can see an arguement for when it becomes a problem such as in banks or on passports, driving licences etc.

it is a blanket ban in public places i have a problem with

That doesn't nessecarily involve a minority community deemed to be 'dangerous' by certain elements.

ok now i see what your arguing

in certain places i can see an arguement for when it becomes a problem such as in banks or on passports, driving licences etc.

it is a blanket ban in public places i have a problem with

I would also not be in favour of a blanket ban. Whether its a blanket or a burqa or a motorbike helmet over your face, it certain places this would be restricted :)

I'd define those places as the same places you cant smoke in public.

Nodin wrote: »
    That doesn't nessecarily involve a minority community deemed to be 'dangerous' by certain elements.

Yes because I'd suggest banning muslims talking on the phone if I could, I'm such an evil xenophobe :rolleyes:

I would also not be in favour of a blanket ban. Whether its a blanket or a burqa or a motorbike helmet over your face, it certain places this would be restricted :)

I'd define those places as the same places you cant smoke in public.

sound. thankfully i wouldnt expect to see many in burqas in pubs on a saturday night, and smoking poses a whole other dificulty:)

Yes because I'd suggest banning muslims talking on the phone if I could, I'm such an evil xenophobe :rolleyes:

I wasn't referring to you, nor was that comment made with you in mind. Rather unforunately the Swiss have a well documented xenophobic attitude that extends back over a hundred years. Whilst they are far more liberal these days (as their recent action over the attainment of citizenship shows), they still have a long way to go.

sound. thankfully i wouldnt expect to see many in burqas in pubs on a saturday night, and smoking poses a whole other dificulty:)

Just looking out the window....I can imagine theres a market for the waterproof headcovering/Niquab/Burqa as well as the fireproof one..

• Advertisement

Nodin wrote: »
    Just looking out the window....I can imagine theres a market for the waterproof headcovering/Niquab/Burqa as well as the fireproof one..

What about the market for the sloganised 't-shirt hell-esque' burqa/niqab??

It would definitely make face covering more fun. I can think of many hilarious slogans, none of which I will post

Advertisement