Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new ruger sr-22

Options
  • 05-05-2010 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭

the ruger sr-22 isn't it beautiful......
    just wondering if it would be legal in the roiSR22.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭N.O.I.P.

Fairly sure its legal but wouldn't it be restricted under the "Resembles a military rifle" category?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

it also has a ten round mag so def restricted......

tommy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    it also has a ten round mag so def restricted......
    Over ten rounds is restricted. Does it hold eleven?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

the ruger sr-22 isn't it beautiful......
    just wondering if it would be legal in the roiSR22.jpg

she's a bute i was thinking about getting one my self and i spoke to a dealer in waterford and he said there was no problem getting one, in fact he could order one for me any time.
    i might get one yet but i think i'll wait until the transfer for my .308 goes threw
    well wear;)

rrpc wrote: »
    Over ten rounds is restricted. Does it hold eleven?

i thought it was over 5 rounds is restricted or is that for a pistol?

tommy:confused:

• Advertisement

she's a bute i was thinking about getting one my self and i spoke to a dealer in waterford and he said there was no problem getting one, in fact he could order one for me any time.
    i might get one yet but i think i'll wait until the transfer for my .308 goes threw
    well wear;)[/QUOTE]

what price did he quote you for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭José Alaninho

Just a 10/22 in a fancy chassis no? Worth the extra cost?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

well wear;)

what price did he quote you for it?

tommy:confused:[/QUOTE]
    it was not to bad but i cant remember right now, give the man a call i'm sure he would be glad of the business.

it was the gun shop in the glen waterford. i think its called waterford shooting and fishing. i have his number in my other phone and i will pass it on to you tomorrow

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

i thought it was over 5 rounds is restricted or is that for a pistol?

From SI 21/2008
    single-shot, repeating or semi-automatic rim-fire firearms designed to fire rim-fire percussion ammunition and with a magazine having a capacity of not more than 10 rounds

This is unrestricted, anything other than this is restricted. So the SR-22 is unrestricted.
    Just a 10/22 in a fancy chassis no? Worth the extra cost?

Seems to be. Nice enough though.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭José Alaninho

What about the 'it-looks-like-an-armalite-so-must-be-100000-times-more-lethal-than-a-regular-10/22' law?

• Advertisement

The full SI 21/2008
    b) shotguns manufactured, adapted or modified so as to render them incapable of containing more than 3 cartridges, but not to shotguns—
    (i) with a detached, folding or telescopic stock, or
    (ii) with a pistol grip, or
    (iii) whose barrel is less than 60.9 centimetres (24 inches) in length;

Relates to shotguns not to long firearms (rifles).

Open to correction here as always.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

ezridax wrote: »
    The full SI 21/2008

I know a few dudes that have licensed 10/22's and MP5 lookalikes no hassles
    magazines are an aftermarket part. if one wanted to get technical buy a 5 round

..... if one wanted to get technical buy a 5 round

There is no technical to it. 10 rounds or less (per mag capacity) and its unrestricted.

Simples.

There is no technical to it. 10 rounds or less (per mag capacity) and its unrestricted.

Simples.

I is a simples man
    Me no likeie compli cations!

Some laugh if I still had my 10/22 folding stock pistol grip 16 inch barrel 50 round drum mag!

It was not accurate but a very handy tool around a farm yard.
    I saw a fella at MNSCI sunday with a M4 lookalike .223

.......Some laugh if I still had my 10/22 folding stock pistol grip 16 inch barrel 50 round drum mag!.....

At the gun..................... or the score on the target ............. :D:p

At the gun..................... or the score on the target ............. :D:p

A bit of both!

I miss it though as it was ideal for sorting out rats feral cats and the like on the farm.

It had an awful group with a teenie weenie skinny barrel, but it could fire off hundreds of rounds without jamming.

Magazines would jam alrite, but I bout several and a speed loader too.
    Oh the memories!
    It got some looks from the neighbours too when i used to go out on the bicycle with it slung over the shoulder back in the day when that was almost normal.

When i was a kid going to school one of the lads used to be collected by his dad on a high nelly, a few rabbits on the carrier, him wearing an old DPM para jacket and an old BRNO slung over the shoulder.

How the times have changed.

Now you prob would get done for carrying your kid on the cross bar!!:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

The full SI 21/2008

And here it comes :D
    3(1)
    ...assault rifles” means—
    (a) rifles capable of functioning as semi-automatic firearms and as automatic firearms,
    (b) firearms that resemble such rifles;

...4(2)(c) the following long firearms (not being assault rifles or bullpup rifles):

So it would probably fall into the idontlikethelookathat category of restricted firearms.

rrpc wrote: »
    And here it comes :D

I thank you sir,

Thats why i write "open to correction", just in case i'm an not 100% correct, also known as "covering my a** ".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

it looks very modern ill stick to the ruger dsp i have with th walnut stock and open sights

it looks very modern ill stick to the ruger dsp i have with th walnut stock and open sights

I'd call it ergonomic! Reason to have, comfortable to shoot ;)

I do like Walnut, but i prefer Rosewood, Barbed wire does not like it though:(

• Advertisement

Going slightly off topic (kinda), if we are on the topic of nice rifle that we would like to have, seen 2 of these in Atlantic Sports in Carlow, brand new LRS2 Tactical .................

blaser-lrs2-big.jpg

............. i've seen these before and seen lads getting excellent results with them. The ones in Carlow are .308 cal and if money/license was not issue i would like to have one.

Anyone any actual experience with them? They are around the Sako TRG money, but are they around the performance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

Read a very positive review of the Smith and Wesson M&p 15-22 not too long ago; its something similar to the ruger sr 22.
    But to be honest, I'm more than happy to stick to my 10 22.

Going slightly off topic (kinda), if we are on the topic of nice rifle that we would like to have, seen 2 of these in Atlantic Sports in Carlow, brand new LRS2 Tactical .................

blaser-lrs2-big.jpg

............. i've seen these before and seen lads getting excellent results with them. The ones in Carlow are .308 cal and if money/license was not issue i would like to have one.

Anyone any actual experience with them? They are around the Sako TRG money, but are they around the performance?

wow thats an imperial sniper rifle from star wars, yep used that on many occassion fires a 1200 nano pulse beam. Take the ear of a wookie at 350 meters:D

wow thats an imperial sniper rifle from star wars, yep used that on many occassion fires a 1200 nano pulse beam. Take the ear of a wookie at 350 meters:D

Close, but no cigar.

They were using the cut down version and with a barrel length under 30cm it would be deemed restricted. :D

star-wars-a-new-hope-imperial-stormtrooper-blaster-e-11-sterling-original-prop-02.jpg

Okay, what say we leave it at that. Seriously this is going no where fast. :)

I actually dont like the feel of the composite/plastic stocks. I originally had a remington 597 ss. Nice gun shot well but I felt it was very (hollow) thats why I go for wood, thats why I changed to the ruger dsp. Im now trying to find a nice scope that wont swamp it, (tricky)

Close, but no cigar.

They were using the cut down version and with a barrel length under 30cm it would be deemed restricted. :D

star-wars-a-new-hope-imperial-stormtrooper-blaster-e-11-sterling-original-prop-02.jpg

Okay, what say we leave it at that. Seriously this is going no where fast. :)

Well jaysus beam me up scotty!
    Watchin star trek by accident my eye Erzidax!

I reckon you like it lol
    Fair enough, each to their own. I was more a Cowboy/military buff

I always wanted Steve McQueens gun from wanted dead or alive!

I honestly don't mind either way. Plastic/composite/wood what ever works.

I will admit though that i wanted composite when looking for a .223 (somethng that could take a bit more "rough and ready" than a timber stock) and one of the things that put me completely off the Tikka was the crapness of the stock. For a rifle with such a nice, clean action and good barrel i was surprised at the stock. Then i was told the price and realised they keep it low by compromising on the stock.

Just an observation.

Well jaysus beam me up scotty!
    Watchin star trek by accident my eye Erzidax!

Ah, my guilty pleasure. You know the difference between men and boys...............the size of their toys.:D
    I was more a Cowboy/military buff

I always wanted Steve McQueens gun from wanted dead or alive!

The Duke all the way.

john-wayne-cowboy-poster.jpg

If that didn't want to make you buy a Winchester 30/30 and Colt and head out to the "wild West" (as a kid) nothing will.

I actually dont like the feel of the composite/plastic stocks. I originally had a remington 597 ss. Nice gun shot well but I felt it was very (hollow) thats why I go for wood, thats why I changed to the ruger dsp. Im now trying to find a nice scope that wont swamp it, (tricky)

Nikon Divarai 6-24x72 lol only joking
    heres a dinki Nightforce
    http://nightforceoptics.com/nightforcescopes/SCOPES_OVERVIEW/COMPACT_NXS_MODELS_/compact2_5-10x24nxs/compact2_5-10x24nxs.html

http://www.maxicon.com/guns/optics/one_piece/nightforce_one-piece-1.jpg

2.5-10x 24 won't look huge on a small rifle but would look good on a semi

• Advertisement

The Mares leg
    2118712_f520.jpg

Now Steve, was the King of Cool

Advertisement