Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new ruger sr-22

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

ezridax wrote: »
    From SI 21/2008

This is unrestricted, anything other than this is restricted. So the SR-22 is unrestricted.

Seems to be. Nice enough though.

just to go off subject for a sec but does this apply to . 22 handguns?

tommy:confused:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    just to go off subject for a sec.........

Going off topic......... :D .............. no need to be sorry. Have you seen my last 3 or 4 posts. :o. Nothing to do with shooting (really), but don't tell the mods. ;)
    ...........but does this apply to . 22 handguns?

If i'm not mistaken (fingers crossed) any .22 cal pistol with a mag capacity of 5 rounds or less (or single shot) is deemed unrestricted. Anything else is restricted, and as restricted licenses for short firearms (pistols) are not being issued anymore it cannot be gotten.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Going off topic......... :D .............. no need to be sorry. Have you seen my last 3 or 4 posts. :o. Nothing to do with shooting (really), but don't tell the mods. ;)

If i'm not mistaken (fingers crossed) any .22 cal pistol with a mag capacity of 5 rounds or less (or single shot) is deemed unrestricted. Anything else is restricted, and as restricted licenses for short firearms (pistols) are not being issued anymore it cannot be gotten.

Question is what is a 5 shot .22 pistol. I'd like one myself. .40s&W ammo is not freely available so it would be nice to have the lighter option.
    But 5 shot sounds like one of these pure comp jobbies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

FYI have a look at this previous thread, which has some info about a couple of the non-restricted .22 target pistol. Hope this helps!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055801908&highlight=pistol

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Didn't even have to type ................. :D
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement

And here's one I made earlier for all your delectation!

BlaserLRS-Pimped.jpg

:D

have narrowed it down to 3 .22 pistols hammerli exsse berretta 87 and s&w 22a but all come with ten round mag?

dCorbus wrote: »
    FYI have a look at this previous thread, which has some info about a couple of the non-restricted .22 target pistol. Hope this helps!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055801908&highlight=pistol

Ah there is two much reading lol
    under a grand €€ and s/a or Revolver if available please.
    Can i licence a .22 conversion for my glock LEGALLY and above board??
    Or would a second pistol be the easier option??

I'll await your response Sir!:D:D:D

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm............... cgi-ed....................aaaaaaggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh

drooling-homer-simpson.jpg

:D:D:p

but all come with ten round mag

You will have to get the dealer / gunsmith to put in a block in the mag to restrict it to the 5 rounds allowed. This is easily done and any dealer worth his salt should be well used to doing this by this stage.
    under a grand €€ and s/a or Revolver if available please.

Most of the ones mentioned should be in or around the grand - Definitely so if they're second hand.
    Can i licence a .22 conversion for my glock LEGALLY and above board??
    Or would a second pistol be the easier option

If you have a glock licensed already, keep it! Good god, man, don't be giving that up too easily!:D

Not sure about the conversion kit side of things at all. So can't help there.

• Advertisement

Here is an excellent option (i think).

Feinwerkbau AW93 Target pistol
    fwb_aw93_pistol.jpg

If its as good as their rifles i cannot see a problem. Its in the shooting for sale/wanted section under "bits for sale".

im slowly swaying towards the hammerli x-esse only 675 from duffysHammerli-X-esse.jpg

dCorbus wrote: »
    You will have to get the dealer / gunsmith to put in a block in the mag to restrict it to the 5 rounds allowed. This is easily done and any dealer worth his salt should be well used to doing this by this stage.

I'd do it myself but is it acceptable?

If you have a glock licensed already, keep it! Good god, man, don't be giving that up too easily!:D God no, I was thinking more like a sako Quad type job, On pistol 2 barrels

My glock is my pride and joy, 4 mags & Galco leather holster.
    I'd just like more than 1, but I'd be afraid HIMSELF would say why would I NEED more than 1

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

On a related note to the OP, the SIG 522 is going a storm in the US right now.
    Set you back about only $500 (My big boy version, the -556 cost me some $1500), not only is it nice and cheap fun, but it's also selling very well with dads who want to get their son or daughter a rifle that looks like Dad's, but when the kid is too young to really handle a centrefire rifle.

Shoots fairly well, apparently. You won't be winning Olympic competitions with it, but it'll do most else you may want.

picture-6-21.png

SIG522LR-detail3.jpg

sig522od.jpg

GSG-5 sold very well as well.

What's the chances you could apply for a SIG-522 rifle, the Gard doing the paperwork would automatically assume that as a .22LR, it wasn't going to be an EBR (Evil-looking Black Rifle), and process it?

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

You'd be legally obliged to apply for it as a restricted firearm due to the ridiculous "looks like an assault rifle" criterion. Stupid, but there you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

Going slightly off topic (kinda), if we are on the topic of nice rifle that we would like to have, seen 2 of these in Atlantic Sports in Carlow, brand new LRS2 Tactical .................

blaser-lrs2-big.jpg

............. i've seen these before and seen lads getting excellent results with them. The ones in Carlow are .308 cal and if money/license was not issue i would like to have one.

Anyone any actual experience with them? They are around the Sako TRG money, but are they around the performance?

I shot the older model in 300 win mag.....
    It was a peach to shoot....Very comfortable and the trigger is sweet as a nut and the action is typical Blaser(nice) it was stupid accurate.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

dwighet wrote: »
    I shot the older model in 300 win mag.....
    It was a peach to shoot....Very comfortable and the trigger is sweet as a nut and the action is typical Blaser(nice) it was stupid accurate.....

just seen this video , can't get over how quiet it is , would be great for foxing .
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06o-eNaZeto

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

rowa wrote: »
    just seen this video , can't get over how quiet it is , would be great for foxing .
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06o-eNaZeto
    he is using sub sonic ammo.... same as a 22lr sub in velocity but with a heavier bullet head..most likely a cast lead head for expansion...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

you can't beat walnut stocks:) solid, nice to look at nice to hold beats plastic any day:P

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭harmoniums

You'd be legally obliged to apply for it as a restricted firearm due to the ridiculous "looks like an assault rifle" criterion. Stupid, but there you go.

Whats the legality of buying a 1022 ruger and then an after market stock?
    such as

http://www.rbprecision.com/id72.htm

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0050094228644a.shtml

or this (guy I know in California does these ad they really look and feel great, real wood and steel)

http://www.1022fungun.com/store/pc/home.asp

If you went with the chicago style, you could legimately say its not a military style look, more 1920s gangster!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

If it resembles an assault rifle (You can already tell how hazy that's going to be, just at the thought of the clueless people devising a cosmetic restriction) then it's restricted, and if you made it look like an assault rifle after you bought it and licensed it as unrestricted, then you're in possession of a firearm for which you do not have a valid licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

if i read it right then the tommy gun has a dummy magazine, so its only 10 shot, Now the question
    does it resemble an assault rifle???
    Could you shoot targets with it or rabbits

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭harmoniums

if i read it right then the tommy gun has a dummy magazine, so its only 10 shot, Now the question
    does it resemble an assault rifle???
    Could you shoot targets with it or rabbits

The .mil version had the straight mag and no fore-grip.
    So this one would be an "assault rifle"
    military.jpg

But this one was never fielded by the military

img_8082fixed.jpg

You could legitimately argue that its a gangster gun

Then again you could argue that your allowed to carry a firearm upon your person if you are a knacker... crack out the track bottoms and preggers GF lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭BELOWaverageIQ

Holy thread resurection batman........…

has anyone bought a SR ?? Or similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Why not just buy a semi auto version in its original calibre,join the Vintage Rifle boys and have alot more fun with a genuine classic firearm?
    Back on thread now.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭BELOWaverageIQ

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Why not just buy a semi auto version in its original calibre,join the Vintage Rifle boys and have alot more fun with a genuine classic firearm?
    Back on thread now.

I already have a few CF rifles, I was thinkng of something for plinking / virmin control to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Personally.I'd stick with the ruger 10/22.you can trick it out to whatever you want it to be alot easier than this new one.Which is a 1st gen so it might have problems not yet discoverd.

img_8082fixed.jpg

Then again you could argue that your allowed to carry a firearm upon your person if you are a knacker... crack out the track bottoms and preggers GF lads

You have to have a certain "class" to have a thompson.
    :)

Apart form the USMC in the 1920s down in Central America in the so called "bananna wars" in El Salvador and Nicarauga.
    Not to mind our own Irish Republican Army in the war of independance who then morphed into PDF and Finna Fail:rolleyes::rolleyes: where it got the nickname of "the rattlebox".So unfortuneatly an army has used this as well.Not that it actually makes a blind bit of difference wether an army has or had used it to our crazy liscensing laws.:rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

harmoniums wrote: »

img_8082fixed.jpg

Not so sure about that.
    I think it was used initially by the US Navy, but also by the British.

http://www.solware.co.uk/bb-guns/churchill_tommy_gun.jpg

http://www.gotavapen.se/gota/artiklar/kpist/cmndo_thompson400w.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_pPsuc9rvU4Y/Sm4ZGgznCYI/AAAAAAAAANc/CW0PjIFKrVM/s400/Corporal,_East_Surrey_Regiment_1940.jpg

I think corporal pike carried one in "dads army":)

Advertisement