Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cake Recipe

Options
  • 05-05-2010 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi all

I am making my daghters birthday cake in a few weeks, I usually make a large cream and jam spoonge but I want to expand into decorating a little however the sponge on,t take the weight of the fondant and I have tried 4 chocolate cake recipes over the past 2 weeks and liked none, has anyone a cake recipe that they are willing to share??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Chocolate or Plain? Madeira is good for a plain sponge, chocolate or chocolate mud cake work well. Let me know what one you're after and I'll post up a tested recipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭1daisy1

Thank you that would be great, I was thinking chocolate, I have madeira but find that butter taste a little too much. I would be really grateful for your tested recipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Chocolate Cake

Makes 1 x 9" round cake

Ingredients
    • 185g butter, softened (room temperature)
    • 330g caster sugar
    • 2.5 tsp vanilla extract
    • 3 large eggs, room temperature
    • 75g self-raising flour
    • 225g plain flour
    • 1.5 tsp baking soda
    • 80g cocoa powder (Bournville or Green & Black's are good)
    • 280ml buttermilk
    Method

1. Pre-heat oven to 180c. Grease and line base of baking tin.
    2. Sieve dry ingredients together (flours, baking soda, cocoa powder.)
    3. Cream butter, sugar and vanilla until pale and fluffy.
    4. Add eggs one at a time until fully absorbed.
    5. Alternate folding in the dry ingredients and the buttermilk, starting and ending with the dry ingredients, i.e. some of the dry ingredients, some buttermilk, some of the dry ingredients, etc. Repeat until everything is added.
    6. Pour into centre of tin, smooth surface. Bake for 1 1/4 hours.
    7. Cool in tin for 5 mins, then cool on wire rack.

Keeps for 1 week refrigerated and cling-wrapped, or 2 months frozen

I prefer the following recipe, as it's moister and the method is easier (emulsifier, or "all-in-one") than the above:

Chocolate Mud Cake

Makes 1 x 9" cake

Ingredients
    • 220g butter
    • 220g dark chocolate (at least 70% cocoa)
    • 6 tsp instant coffee granules
    • 160ml water
    • 125g self-raising flour
    • 125g plain flour
    • 50g cocoa powder (Bournville or Green & Black's are good)
    • 1/2 tsp baking soda
    • 480g caster sugar
    • 4 large eggs, room temperature
    • 7 tsp vegetable oil
    • 110ml buttermilk
    Method

1. Pre-heat oven to 160c. Grease and line base of baking tin, and add a collar around the sides that comes up 1" above the rim.
    2. Sieve dry ingredients together (flours, baking soda, cocoa powder) and stir in the caster sugar.
    3. Combine eggs, vegetable oil and buttermilk in a measuring jug.
    4. Melt butter, chocolate, coffee granules and water in a pot over low heat until melted. Remove from the heat.
    5. Add egg/oil/buttermilk mixture to dry ingredients, then the chocolate mixture, stirring until smooth.
    6. Pour into centre of tin, smooth surface. Bake for 1 3/4 hours.
    8. If you test the cake when it's done, the skewer may come out sticky, but this is normal. Leave cake to cool in tin until completely cool.

Keeps for 3 weeks refrigerated and cling-wrapped, or 2 months frozen

Thank you so much, I really am very grateful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 kayleeabc

nice recipe. thank u for sharing .my brother daughter like chocolate cake very much. maybe i can follow ur tips to make her a chocolate cake. : D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 semr

:)Thank you so much:)

Tried the mudcake and it got great reviews, Thanks.

Advertisement