Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ASUS X1950XTX not reaching stock speeds?!

Options
  • 05-05-2010 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭

I've had an x1950xtx since about a month from release, and it's now starting to give me minor problems.

Although the card is rated at 650/999 MHz, it crashes if set at anything higher than 506/594.

This doesn't affect things too much, it still races through any game I throw at it, but it is reaching a point where I'm considering upgrading, and considering it's technically UNDERCLOCKED, I wonder if knocking it up to it's base clock will give me another year out of it :p

So, my question is... What could be causing the card to run at such a low speed in the first place? Could it not be receiving enough power from the PSU, causing it to become unstable? Any other possibilities?

I'd just like to have an idea of what might need fixing before I apply the crowbar... err... 'commit to exploratory actions'.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Could be a driver issue, power issue, heat issue or PCB issue. Odd to get both GPU and memory bailing out at the same time though... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭hare05

Solitaire wrote: »
    Could be a driver issue, power issue, heat issue or PCB issue. Odd to get both GPU and memory bailing out at the same time though... :o

Cooling and airflow are not a problem (Antec 300, no hanging wires), and I've messed with the innards of that pc so much over the past few years that I'd be honestly surprised if the card wasn't polished to the point where I could see my face in the plastic. Not much dust here lol, and the fan filters keep it out. Drivers are the latest... for legacy cards, as that's what they are now, apparently.

So I guess I'm left with power issues, and possible damage to the card itself as the culprits. *gets screwdrivers, tweezers and a crowbar for exploratory action*

Advertisement