Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bohernareena this evening

Options
  • 06-05-2010 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Beautiful evening for fishing,:)

Got a lovely brown on the top lake , lots of rises but wouldn't touch the dry flies, a hare's ear got them in the end just under the surface.

got a stockie on the lower lake as it was getting dark, kept him for the pot , very little in his stomach, looks like all caddis , hare's ear again.

flat calm all evening

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

the first fish is a nice trout, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭wgsten

Thats some great fishing you had well done. Must get down to fish there soon.
    wgsten

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭cj salmon

thats a very nice trout in the first pic,nice evening id say,well done thanks for posting pics

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SeanyMc22

Looking to fish here for the first time this weekend, can anyone send me directions and best spots.
    Also where can I get a permit to fish here?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭bang2

SeanyMc22 wrote: »
    Looking to fish here for the first time this weekend, can anyone send me directions and best spots.

Hi SeanyMc22,
    there is a lot of info on here as to hoe to get to the reservoirs, and permits ,
    I get mine in southside angling on cork street.
    http://www.fishingireland.net/fishing/salmonandtrout/dublin/bohernabreena.htm

As for best fishing spots hard to know there are fish rising and moving all over , the water is very high at the moment and limits a lot of shoreline, I prefer the upper water with the wild browns, there are 3 areas on the east side of the reservoir along the track that you can access the water but it's tight casting .
    Good luck on the weekend
    Bang2

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

SeanyMc22 wrote: »

The upper lake is large, with a stock of small wildies.
    The lower lake is smaller, darker due to proximity of trees, and and some larger wildies, and some stocked fish. The fish are "hard to get" in the lower lake, and more "free rising" in the upper.
    Both lakes are fly fishing only. The trees and high banks behind make this no small challenge. So it's a tough place for learners, but very pretty location.

The natural fly life is small in size, so match the hatch or they won't bother with it. Buzzer nymphs would be size 16 - 22. An exception is with well sunk flies where size seems to be less critical.
    The tel nr of the waterkeeper is on the club card, and if called he will open the gate for access to the lower lake. Access to the upper lake is via a gate at the top end of the upper, and the lower is within walking distance, so you can fish both from there.
    The fishing hours are restricted to daylight hours and the gates are locked at the time on the signs.
    Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SeanyMc22

Great stuff lads, hope I can pick up a permit in one of the tackle shops in city centre and head on out for the evening. Making the move over to the flies this summer so catching anything would be a bonus!

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

once you start flyfishing you never go back! Good luck and mind the ears....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

fisherking wrote: »
    once you start flyfishing you never go back!

very true indeed.............

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭bang2

Beautiful up there last night again , lots of trout rising on the top reservoir, coming to a small hare's ear and a small hopper close to dark, still cant get the right dry fly to match the hatch, great fun trying though.:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement